govt taxes/port taxes increase

youngreflection

I have a deposit on an eastern med cruise for next year and the port charges in my invoice states $112, this is also the amount that came out on its website a few months back when I do mock bookings (but I actually used a TA in the end). However, just now while checking the website for price drops and doing mock bookings, I noticed that the govt taxes (excluding those night charge etc.) had increased to $130. I'm wondering if my total final payment amount will increase to reflect the higher charge or is the earlier port tax amount already locked-in?

The taxes and fees will go to the current cost however if your booking is re-priced for a change to a different cabin category, either higher or lower, to go to an guaranty booking or for a price reduction.

Edited by robtulipe

Yup, you have a contract at the price you agreed to and it won't go up for those changes.

that is why you see the warning when you book stating Celebrity (as most other Lines) can add a fuel surcharge if the price of oil goes above a set amount. A while ago, when oil prices really jumped, Celebrity added the surcharge to existing reservations, but took a big hit and had to remove it from the existing ones because they were contracts in place. It happened to me....added then removed. So Celebrity has added this statement to all their contracts so they can add a surcharge after the fact.

By the way, oil costs are above what they stipulated, but its been above for an extended time and they haven't used the surcharge. I assume it's because the pricing increased at a rate the Line was able to adjust their standard charges to compensate.

Den

You are locked into the cruise price before taxes/port charges once you have paid the initial deposit. We have seen refunds where taxes/port charges went down before sailing, and we've also been asked to pony up (not more than $15 pp) for any increase in taxes/port charges. Likewise, we've embarked and been surprised by a tiny refund from a reduction in taxes/port charges. I guess it could also work to our disadvantage if there was an increase in taxes/port charges at such a late date. You can rest assured the cruise line is NOT going to get stuck with these extra fees. Ports charge on per person rate, and ships report # of souls on board.

This was explained to us not only by a TA but by a harbor master.

If Celebrity operates differently, i.e. they are willing to suck up the extra fees/taxes, great. To be certain how they operate, I would call Celebrity, if I were you.

Twice, I have been charged additional government taxes at final payment. I checked the contracts, which did state that additional taxes are required if cost of these taxes are adjusted. With that being said, have also had a refund on my folio when they have gone down, albeit, a small adjustment.

In Alaska, several years ago, they implemented a $50 pp or per cabin (cannot remember) head tax, which we were required to pay. It was added on well after the initial booking. Then, recently on a Celebrity cruise, there was an additional tax added to our booking -- again, long after the initial booking.

For the particular taxes that have been added to your cruise, just check with your TA and see if they apply. They might!

According to my TA, Celebrity doesn't usually charge more for port taxes if they go up after you make your reservation, but also doesn't always provide a refund if they go down. For the cruise we have planed in the Med next summer, we noticed that there was a difference in taxes between our booking and my Mom's, which was made later. We were basically told, "too bad". OTHH, we did get a small refund back on one earlier this year.

If you are paid in full, I would not expect them to charge you more later once you are fully paid.

• 1 month later...