When are the dining changes going to happen?

ThreeYellowLabs

I don't know anything about the menu, but there was something new on the Breeze this week. There is no longer a bar server that comes in to take drink orders in the MDR. If you want anything from the bar, including soft drinks, you are supposed to let your head waiter know. He/she supposedly enters that on the computer, and then the bar server will bring you your drink. As someone who always gets the Bottomless Bubbles card, I felt like I was being a pain when I asked for a Coke. Guess we'll see how it works out!

Actually on the Liberty in sept. our regular waitstaff handles all our bar drinks. The only time there was a special bar server is when he came around at the end with the shot specialty glasses. It worked fine.

Actually on the Liberty in sept. our regular waitstaff handles all our bar drinks. The only time there was a special bar server is when he came around at the end with the shot specialty glasses. It worked fine.

I'm glad to hear of that change. THe last couple of times we sailed it was more than half way through our meal before the bar person came to get us a drink and we never saw him/her again after that

I'm glad to hear of that change. THe last couple of times we sailed it was more than half way through our meal before the bar person came to get us a drink and we never saw him/her again after that

Great, another thing for the overworker mdr servers to do- that should really improve mdr service!

Surprised. Hard enough for them to keep up without sending them to a bar to fill drink orders.

Prior to the recent meetings, John Heald was asking quick fire questions on (that other place :cool:) as to what people's favorite desserts were, whether they wanted to sit with others outside their party, whether they preferred Early, Late, YTD, whether they like orchestras or steel bands or DJs.

I got the feeling he was taking the info into the meetings. It will be interesting to see what they announce.

Personally, I would love to see (1) BBQ ribs moved to another night, (2) creme brulee on every night menu and (3) steel band or orchestra.

I think they are doing well already seating people alone who want to be alone and seating others at big tables with others if they prefer.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

This has been our experience even on the Epic. Our longest wait was on Dress Up or Not night for the Manhattan MDR for less than 15 minutes and they gave us coupons for free drinks while we waited.....there were no other waits for the MDR on the Epic and no waits on either of our Jewel cruises.

That's good to know...I thought maybe the newer/larger NCL ships might have waits. I'm happy they don't.

Great, another thing for the overworker mdr servers to do- that should really improve mdr service!

I agree....having the wait staff run to the bar is insane.

Edited by halos

That's really sad .

People have become so disconnected from one another in today's world.

We love sitting with the same group and hearing stories. It will be very sad to see something like that happen but doesn't surprise me .:(

For me too. What I loved about cruising was the formality and dining with others. Without those things cruising has become just another boat ride, not the elegant escape. I enjoyed ATD but still opted to share a large table with others. I go to resorts and restaurant and happily eat with me and mine. On cruises I get a pretty frock or gown, smile and share a meal with people who share a similar interest. So sad to see this and a decent cut of steak slowly disappearing from the MDR. I am happy I enjoyed it when it was the norm and cruising was about tradition. ;) No it doesn't surprise me, one bit.

Edited by Blk_Amish

That's good to know...I thought maybe the newer/larger NCL ships might have waits. I'm happy they don't.

I agree....having the wait staff run to the bar is insane.

If true, I would agree. They have more than enough to do already. We have seen varying levels of bar service (we don't use it much unless we are sailing with a small group which means I won't order a bottle of wine .... Not often). On some ships the bar staff has been there pronto and frequent, not so much on others. Can't say I know why.

I don't know anything about the menu, but there was something new on the Breeze this week. There is no longer a bar server that comes in to take drink orders in the MDR. If you want anything from the bar, including soft drinks, you are supposed to let your head waiter know. He/she supposedly enters that on the computer, and then the bar server will bring you your drink. As someone who always gets the Bottomless Bubbles card, I felt like I was being a pain when I asked for a Coke. Guess we'll see how it works out!

This wasn't active on the Pride this week at least. We had a bar waiter who came around the first night, and our sodas were on the table when we came in every night. He would visit all the tables around us to bring other drinks and would check in to ask if we wanted another. The only drinks our main waitstaff brought were the after dinner coffees and hot chocolates.

This wasn't active on the Pride this week at least. We had a bar waiter who came around the first night, and our sodas were on the table when we came in every night. He would visit all the tables around us to bring other drinks and would check in to ask if we wanted another. The only drinks our main waitstaff brought were the after dinner coffees and hot chocolates.

I wonder if it is being tested on just a few ships right now? Like a previous poster mentioned, I am used to my Coke being on the table when I come I to the MDR, with a refill arriving during the meal. I never asked for a second one because I felt the waitstaff was already overloaded. This was the first cruise we were not offered bread a second time and coffee service was a hot or miss thing.

I wonder if it is being tested on just a few ships right now? Like a previous poster mentioned, I am used to my Coke being on the table when I come I to the MDR, with a refill arriving during the meal. I never asked for a second one because I felt the waitstaff was already overloaded. This was the first cruise we were not offered bread a second time and coffee service was a hot or miss thing.

I have always had problems getting coffee. I drink coffee with my dinner and only on the Fascination was the crew on the ball, never had an empty cup. All my other cruises, I would have to ask and hope that I would get a refill.

I have always had problems getting coffee. I drink coffee with my dinner and only on the Fascination was the crew on the ball, never had an empty cup. All my other cruises, I would have to ask and hope that I would get a refill.

We have had times where it had not been asked, but after mentioning it to the head waiter it was not a problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

For me too. What I loved about cruising was the formality and dining with others. Without those things cruising has become just another boat ride, not the elegant escape. I enjoyed ATD but still opted to share a large table with others. I go to resorts and restaurant and happily eat with me and mine. On cruises I get a pretty frock or gown, smile and share a meal with people who share a similar interest. So sad to see this and a decent cut of steak slowly disappearing from the MDR. I am happy I enjoyed it when it was the norm and cruising was about tradition. ;) No it doesn't surprise me, one bit.

My thoughts, exactly!!

Pam

Late word from my butcher.

Dining room changes already been made about 3 years ago when they went to comfort foods.

Seems management was not aware of this and thought the changes were just now being introduced.

You're still goin' strong, I see :D