Singapore Botanical Gardens

cricket03

To make it more confusing, there are now 2 botanical gardens.

The "old" one http://www.sbg.org.sg/

and still very beautiful incl. their orchids display. You better take a cab to get there I think.

and the new Gardens by the Bay, next to the Marina Sandsbay Hotel.

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

This one is close to the new Marina Bay cruiseterminal.

Use google maps to find the exct locations and like Keith states find out where you ship docks.

Taxis in Singapore are cheap and metered.

To make it more confusing, there are now 2 botanical gardens.

The "old" one http://www.sbg.org.sg/

and still very beautiful incl. their orchids display. You better take a cab to get there I think.

and the new Gardens by the Bay, next to the Marina Sandsbay Hotel.

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

This one is close to the new Marina Bay cruiseterminal.

Use google maps to find the exct locations and like Keith states find out where you ship docks.

Taxis in Singapore are cheap and metered.

Both are great, but very different. The Botanical Gardens are very traditional, with winding paths, water features, wildlife. The Gardens by the Bay have a Flower Dome and Cloud Forest Dome that are spectacular, and a nice respite from the heat if it's a particularly hot day. If you're docking at the Marina Bay cruise terminal there's the added bonus of proximity.

Thanks all of you for the info. I have no idea where we'll dock yet. We'll be there in Jan so I've a little time to find out where. Both sound great. I didn't know about the new garden - was wanting to see the orchid gardens so we may do that one where ever we're docked. But a good point made about close proximity if the day is really hot. Thanks again -- I love these boards, everyone is so helpful.

Thanks all of you for the info. I have no idea where we'll dock yet. We'll be there in Jan so I've a little time to find out where. Both sound great. I didn't know about the new garden - was wanting to see the orchid gardens so we may do that one where ever we're docked. But a good point made about close proximity if the day is really hot. Thanks again -- I love these boards, everyone is so helpful.

Don't miss the Singapore Botanical Gardens and the National Orchid Garden.

Here is visitor information on how to get there -

http://www.sbg.org.sg/visitorinfo/openinghours.asp

As it is open from 5 am to midnight, try to go in the cool of the day and watch all the locals enjoying the gardens.

The Cloud Forest dome at Gardens by the Bay is absolutely teeming with orchids, so even if you can't make it to the Botanical Gardens you can still get your orchid fix!:)

You can try this website to see where your ship will dock.

http://www.singaporecruise.com.sg/index.php/?page_id=110&action=cruise

I checked it out and it looks like we're at Harborfront terminal - had a little trouble deciphering the terminals. We're on the Rotterdam Jan & Feb stopping in Singapore before going to Indonesia as well -- saw that you were there last year. Thanks for the website.

I checked it out and it looks like we're at Harborfront terminal - had a little trouble deciphering the terminals. We're on the Rotterdam Jan & Feb stopping in Singapore before going to Indonesia as well -- saw that you were there last year. Thanks for the website.

That indeed is the same terminal we docked. That dock is closest to the old botanical garden.

We had a great time in Indonesia, hope you will too.

Watch the weather...if it rains, go to the "flower dome" or the "rainforest conservtory" at Marina Bay (that's near the new cruise terminal, which you are NOT at)....they are enclosed. if it's not raining, catch a cab/taxi (reasonable cost and efficeint, about 10 bucks) from the Harbour Front cruise terminal to the Botanical Gardens and make sure you go into the Orchid enclosure (a small entry charge..2 bucks, I think)......enjoy your stay....and when you return to your cruise terminal, remember to tell the taxi driver which cruise terminal you are heading to i.e. Marina Bay or Harbour Front....enjoy Indonesia

Watch the weather...if it rains, go to the "flower dome" or the "rainforest conservtory" at Marina Bay (that's near the new cruise terminal, which you are NOT at)....they are enclosed. if it's not raining, catch a cab/taxi (reasonable cost and efficeint, about 10 bucks) from the Harbour Front cruise terminal to the Botanical Gardens and make sure you go into the Orchid enclosure (a small entry charge..2 bucks, I think)......enjoy your stay....and when you return to your cruise terminal, remember to tell the taxi driver which cruise terminal you are heading to i.e. Marina Bay or Harbour Front....enjoy Indonesia

Great info. Thanks!!

If you visit Gardens by the Bay, which are excellent, go up inside the dome to the summit, then walk slowly down, enjoying the tropical rhodendrons. Now this will blow you away, the vast majority of tropical rhodendrons at Gardens by the Bay, were supplied by nurseryman, just north of Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia.

Singapore Botanical Gardens have a very nice display of orchids, as well as Heliconians & cordylines....I promise you will be in heaven you love tropical plants. Every time I visit Singapore, my wife & I always visit the Botanical Gardens, and also Gardens by the Bay.

Check out the National Science Museum to see what exhibitions are running whilst your there. I was fortunate to see the Titanic Display when I was there last, it blew me away.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best way to get to the Singapore Botanical Gardens from the port? Taxi & Cost? Mass Transit --is it close to port and easy to use to get to the gardens. Thanks for any info you might have --

We have just returned from our cruise Singapore to Hong Kong, we visited the Old Botanical Gardens by taxi from our hotel which was near the port. The orchid house was amazing, it cost one Singapore dollar for over 60's the main garden is free. We got there at 7am and it was lovely to see all the locals doing their exercise. The taxi was very reasonable although funnily enough to go in the morning which was quicker cost a bit more than when we returned. We were charged what was on the meter, I think there must be a surcharge or early AM. Enjoy.

Both the gardens are on our must see list for our April visit. Last time, the Gardens By the Bay were still being constructed and we were intrigued by them, so definitely looking forward to seeing them now.

An early morning trip to the Botanic Gardens sounds like a nice idea too.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the best way to get to the Singapore Botanical Gardens from the port? Taxi & Cost? Mass Transit --is it close to port and easy to use to get to the gardens. Thanks for any info you might have --

Hi Cricket03,

taxi would be a good option. As many have said in the forum, it is safe & plentiful.

A few tips for you:

(1) There is "new" or "old" Botanic Gardens. The "new Botanic Garden" is called Gardens By The Bay. This is to prevent confusion when you tell the taxi driver where you want to go.

(2) The Botanic Garden is free. http://www.sbg.org.sg/

However, this is not always the case for Gardens By the Bay. Most part of it is free, but you would need to pay to enter the conservatories. It is a pretty new attraction and many of my friends love it. http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

(3) All taxis charge by the meter. NEVER agree not to, it is illegal. However, this is just a precaution. It is not often that taxi drivers try to pre-negotiate a price.

Cheers! Enjoy the hot & humid country :)

We just returned from a cruise that started and ended in SIN. Pre cruise we visited the new Gardens by the Sea and it was really good. I am not normally a botnical gardens fan, but this place is awesome. Never mind the plants, but the architecture of the place and the main halls is stunning. Plenty of food and drink outlets are there as well.

Last time we stayed in Singapore visiting our son & family, we caught the high speed ferry to Bintan Island for a 5 night stay, very relaxing. You could see the Kampongs on stilts out in the water, but more so at night when their lanterns were on.

On our next visit to Singapore probably in March/early this year, to see our son, we are not cruising, but spending time with him & his family. We enjoy taking our grandson over to Sentosa Island, to the Water Park, with all the slides, feed the sharks, and that big water bucket that drops heaps of water on you......If you haven't been to Sentosa, you must try it.

We use the MRT to get around Singapore, otherwise, catch a cab (all so affordable)