The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

I think that if someone was on a B2B prior to the change, all of their cruises should be consider under the old program. They purchased their cruises as a package deal at the same time and I don't feel that it should be split between the two programs. Just IMHO!

While I agree with this, you are now contradicting what you said earlier about exceptions.:D

While I agree with this, you are now contradicting what you said earlier about exceptions.:D

I don't think there should be exceptions, except for those that were on B2B's during the change. I had not really digested the problems related to this issue earlier and when I did (B2B being purchased as one cruise booking), I took the stance that there should be an exception because they were on a cruise prior to the change with no interuption and I would hope that Celebrity, like I did, looks at this as being situation that should cause them to change the rules for them and them only.

I don't think there should be exceptions, except for those that were on B2B's during the change. I had not really digested the problems related to this issue earlier and when I did (B2B being purchased as one cruise booking), I took the stance that there should be an exception because they were on a cruise prior to the change with no interuption and I would hope that Celebrity, like I did, looks at this as being situation that should cause them to change the rules for them and them only.

So an exception for those is ok but no other exceptions are allowed, Fair enough, the rules are black and white, and Life is often grey.:D

So an exception for those is ok but no other exceptions are allowed, Fair enough, the rules are black and white, and Life is often grey.:D

Those cruises (or most of them) were purchased on one booking that included all cruises (B2B); thus I would call it 1 cruise, not two. But, for those that disagree with me, I guess they are thankful that I don't make the rules, I just voice my opinion on what I feel is fair and what I feel is not. I would also would guess that Celebrity would not agree with me either and will stick by their no exception rules for anyone because they probably feel that the rules are black and white, which would be fine by me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Those cruises (or most of them) were purchased on one booking that included all cruises (B2B); thus I would call it 1 cruise, not two. But, for those that disagree with me, I guess they are thankful that I don't make the rules, I just voice my opinion on what I feel is fair and what I feel is not. I would also would guess that Celebrity would not agree with me either and will stick by their no exception rules for anyone because they probably feel that the rules are black and white, which would be fine by me.

Agreed, X will most likely stick to their no exceptions to the rule.

Although X are willing to give out bonus points on new bookings if aqua class and above for certain sailings. :rolleyes:

Although X are willing to give out bonus points on new bookings if aqua class and above for certain sailings. :rolleyes:

Hey, aren't all business in the business of making $$$$'s?

I cruise in concierge, so I wasn't able to benefit from this bonus point promotion and wouldn't upgrade to Aqua just for the points. The promotion is good as far as I'm concerned and I'm happy for those that can take advantage of it. Hopefully, one day, there will be a promotion I can take advantage of, but if not, I will continue to cruise with Celebrity because I enjoy the experience I get when I'm on one of their ships.

I think it makes more sense than those few that have paid for cruises that feel that they should get the old program points for them even though they cruised or will cruise when the new program is in effect. Especially since some of these cruisers are on 3 or 4 night cruises and want 30 or 60 points for their cruise, when they would get probably either 6, 9 or 15 or more points for a 3 night cruise or 8, 12 or 20 points or more for a 4 night cruise under the new program. Does that sound fair and sensible? At least those on a B2B during the change were already on a ship and I think that should be taken into consideration.

I don't see why being on a ship - but on a different cruise - prior to the program roll-out for all other members has a greater significance than e.g. having paid in full.

Contracts are about settlement, agreement and consideration, not about prior use.

Again, all about the money.

No issue with that, but then it shouldn't be dressed up as "loyalty" but just "dollars" or, for marketing correctness, "rewards."

Those cruises (or most of them) were purchased on one booking that included all cruises (B2B); thus I would call it 1 cruise, not two.

From celebrity's perspective, they are, and always have been regarded as two cruises.

And as you correctly note, there's nothing to even indicate or require they were paid at once. Many people book one cruise. Then see a good deal on a connecting cruise and think that sounds like a nice opportunity. Two bookings as well.

However, that's irrelevant to the point that they are two separate cruises in any case. That is an even less significant exception than when the customer has done their side of the deal and paid in full, yet Celebrity then change their side of the deal.

Again, all about the money.

No issue with that, but then it shouldn't be dressed up as "loyalty" but just "dollars" or, for marketing correctness, "rewards."

I know you define the program as a "loyalty" program. However, Celebrity's website says "Captain's Club is your premier recognition and rewards program. The more you sail, the more rewarding your experience becomes." Under Membership Benefits it states, "Captain's Club provides a variety of services, recognition and rewards to its members, with benefits increasing by tier." So, there you have it.

I don't think there should be exceptions, except for those that were on B2B's during the change. I had not really digested the problems related to this issue earlier and when I did (B2B being purchased as one cruise booking).

I didn't think Celebrity did b2b as one booking. Is this something new?

I don't see why being on a ship - but on a different cruise - prior to the program roll-out for all other members has a greater significance than e.g. having paid in full.

Contracts are about settlement, agreement and consideration, not about prior use.

Those that were on the cruise have completed their entire contract and completed their cruise. Those that have only paid, but not cruised, have not completed their entire contract....they could still cancel, they could fall at the pier and not be able to take the cruise, etc. Until they board the ship, turn in their cruise documents, put their credit card or cash down for their account, they have not completed their contract with Celebrity.

I can see that neither of us are going to change our position, so I would just have to say that we will agree to disagree on the subject. But I would urge everyone, not matter if they are happy about the new program or have issues with it, that they let Celebrity know how they feel.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hey, aren't all business in the business of making $$$$'s?

I cruise in concierge, so I wasn't able to benefit from this bonus point promotion and wouldn't upgrade to Aqua just for the points. The promotion is good as far as I'm concerned and I'm happy for those that can take advantage of it. Hopefully, one day, there will be a promotion I can take advantage of, but if not, I will continue to cruise with Celebrity because I enjoy the experience I get when I'm on one of their ships.

Of course they are but they also provide exceptions to their own rules. But then they are able to change the program at whim.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I didn't think Celebrity did b2b as one booking. Is this something new?

Question about B2B cruises, I know Celebrity use to give a discount to those that booked consecutive cruises, do they still do that? If so, then I would think it could be considered as one booking.

Edited by NLH Arizona

They don't, TAs might sell it as a package but X doesn't.:D

Actually, X does. Sometimes. I booked three segments (Antarctica + repositions around and up to Miami). Went to book my choice air and wasn't able to (except through my Travel Agent) because I was on a B2B2B. Of note, I was in the same cabin initially for all three. When that changed, I was able to get to Choice Air. Go figure - I can't. Friends on the same trip (w/o a cabin change) were able to book through CA on their own.

-Holly

Actually, X does. Sometimes. I booked three segments (Antarctica + repositions around and up to Miami). Went to book my choice air and wasn't able to (except through my Travel Agent) because I was on a B2B2B. Of note, I was in the same cabin initially for all three. When that changed, I was able to get to Choice Air. Go figure - I can't. Friends on the same trip (w/o a cabin change) were able to book through CA on their own.

-Holly

Righto, but they are still treated as seperate cruises in reagrds to the drink packages, keycards, accounts, etc.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Question about B2B cruises, I know Celebrity use to give a discount to those that booked consecutive cruises, do they still do that? If so, then I would think it could be considered as one booking.

Not normally. Of course, they could always run a special promotion at some time.

I know you define the program as a "loyalty" program. However, Celebrity's website says "Captain's Club is your premier recognition and rewards program. The more you sail, the more rewarding your experience becomes." Under Membership Benefits it states, "Captain's Club provides a variety of services, recognition and rewards to its members, with benefits increasing by tier." So, there you have it.

It's not my definition, but I took the wording from Celebrity.

For example, announcing the change they wrote:

"With these new changes, you'll quickly realise there's never been a better time to be a part of this exciting loyalty programme."

Perhaps their site has been updated in light of the recent changes to the program to move it towards a "rewards" basis, which is more accurate.

You cannot have it both ways. If you want to consider it 1 cruise should you not only be entitled to one time the points under the old system also rather than twice the points?

This really sounds as cherry picking.

You cannot have it both ways. If you want to consider it 1 cruise should you not only be entitled to one time the points under the old system also rather than twice the points?

This really sounds as cherry picking.

Fair point. Something I didn't think of; that is why it is good to have input from a lot of folks....it could but a different light on an issue. Thank you.

Edited by NLH Arizona