Honeymoon Cruise Debate

OpenSea 311

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at an adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

You don't say when and how long the cruise is. If it's over a "school's out" period, the kid population will be much higher on Carnival. If it is a longer cruise, the ship population will skew older, especially on Celebrity. Having done several of both and appreciating both for different reasons, you sound more like a Carnival kind of coupe..

My fiance and I, both 27, are going on Celebrity for our honeymoon this December. We get married in less than 2 weeks- AHHH

We also have been on the Solstice and Carnival cruises. We prefer Celebrity- especially for our honeymoon. We do prefer the more upscale environment X provides. In my opinion, I would never consider Carnival for a honeymoon- again that is just my opinion :D

It really comes down to what you are looking for. We are not the party type. We prefer peace, relaxation, good food, and not "checking out" pool towels ;) We do like to dress up and eat in the MDR every night.

Another reason we prefer X- the strict smoking policy and roomy cabins/bathrooms.

And yes, there will be a lot of kids on Carnival during that time. There will be more than normal on X but less than Carnival.

oops one more edit :) Most of the people here are going to have a skewed view and say X. Just an FYI, and I am in the crowd haha! You should also post this on the Carnival boards.

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I also posted this on the Carnival boards to get some different perspectives. It's good to see hear an opinion from a similar age as myself and similar cruise occasion. Thanks again.

Enjoy your honeymoon cruise!

We have never sailed peak time. We have been on both Carnival and Celebrity (however, neither of the ships you mention above).

That said, Celebrity will have families during the peak week, so I think you will find a "younger" crowd (in other words - many who are not retirees).

We prefer the food and the ambiance (romantic, classy) of Celebrity over Carnival. We have had honeymooners at our table in the dining room on Celebrity so there will be people your age.

There are some wonderful specialty restaurants on Celebrity that will be great for quiet romantic dinners with you and your new spouse.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Thanks for the insight. We will have to sit down and weigh the pros and cons. And more than likely, she will have the final say :rolleyes:. I know I will have a great time on either ship. Thanks again!

We have never sailed peak time. We have been on both Carnival and Celebrity (however, neither of the ships you mention above).

That said, Celebrity will have families during the peak week, so I think you will find a "younger" crowd (in other words - many who are not retirees).

We prefer the food and the ambiance (romantic, classy) of Celebrity over Carnival. We have had honeymooners at our table in the dining room on Celebrity so there will be people your age.

There are some wonderful specialty restaurants on Celebrity that will be great for quiet romantic dinners with you and your new spouse.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Another person chiming in here on a honeymoon cruise on Celebrity. We're also in our 20's and booked Celebrity for our honeymoon last year. Yes the crowd was older, and we felt like we were definitely the youngest couple there. But it's your honeymoon, the point is the spend time with each other, so who cares about the other passengers and their ages? We had a blast. It definitely got me hooked on cruising. The dining was fantastic, and you don't need all those activities since, well, you should be well entertained by each other. Not that there was a lack of activities either. All I'm sayin' is, I'm sure either cruise will be great because it's your honeymoon. But I don't think you'll regret choosing Celebrity for this one.

Thanks for your reply! Lots and lots to consider.

Another person chiming in here on a honeymoon cruise on Celebrity. We're also in our 20's and booked Celebrity for our honeymoon last year. Yes the crowd was older, and we felt like we were definitely the youngest couple there. But it's your honeymoon, the point is the spend time with each other, so who cares about the other passengers and their ages? We had a blast. It definitely got me hooked on cruising. The dining was fantastic, and you don't need all those activities since, well, you should be well entertained by each other. Not that there was a lack of activities either. All I'm sayin' is, I'm sure either cruise will be great because it's your honeymoon. But I don't think you'll regret choosing Celebrity for this one.

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at an adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

Good morning, first congrats on the wedding! My new hubby and I have chosen a cruise for our honeymoon as well, as well as a couple of weeks in Florida exploring the sites. We sail out Dec 20th on the Equinox and from what I've heard though we may be one of the youngest couples, it will be amazing. Who doesnt like to be catered to on their honeymoon? Whatever you choose though, it will be amazing!

This is a tough call to me, because the Breeze (and a Guy's burger) is on my bucket list, but I think that for a honeymoon, you might find the extra day and "pampered" feel of Celebrity worth it, not to mention the large balconies on S-class ships (54 square feet or more if you get 'on the hump'). Service on Celebrity is what is bringing me back to them for my next cruise, they were top notch in Alaska. X will have fewer (almost no) PA announcements for sales interrupting you, but there are more casual/free food venues on the Breeze.

Oh and it's a honeymoon, how much ship entertainment do you need? ;) :p

We went on our first Celebrity cruise as 25 year olds. We picked this line specifically because we loved the quieter, more sophisticated atmosphere. We are not big time partiers/drinkers. Are you guys into lots of nightlife? Staying up til 2am singing karaoke? Do you like a wilder pool scene, with belly flop and sexy legs contests, and lots of folks nearby with buckets of beer? Do you enjoy Vegas style interiors with lots of colors and lights? Then maybe choose Carnival.

But if you're looking for more relaxation, and a quieter, more elegant experience, or a ship with live music and fellow passengers who follow the dress code suggestions, then I'd choose Celebrity.

We have sailed on over 20 cruises on Carnival, also sailed on the Reflection and Silhoutte. Sailed on the Dream in a Cloud 9 cabin Nov and the Reflection in AQ in Mar. You will find that the Reflection is basically the same as the Silhouette. If you enjoyed Carnival more as you already stated nothing is going to change.

X had the Sin City comedy that was repeated a few nights with the same show and was held in the rather small theater and was always SRO. Carnival had many nightly adult comedy show

I think X has better drinks and a better drink package.

For a nice experience try the AQ class especially for being your honeymoon.

X is basically non smoking that is a plus for us.

If you want party and need to be constantly entertained take Carnival. If you want to relax and enjoy some quiet moments than X.

.🎅🎄

What makes you think the Jamica all inclusive will be quiet? I am a long time divorced single. Cruised once at Holidays on X with BF. Felt very isloated in a sea of families and children. Very crowded with a sense of forced excitement. Why not wait a few weeks and cruise in low season when this group is back home since you will have a nice honeymoon already?

What makes you think the Jamica all inclusive will be quiet? I am a long time divorced single. Cruised once at Holidays on X with BF. Felt very isloated in a sea of families and children. Very crowded with a sense of forced excitement. Why not wait a few weeks and cruise in low season when this group is back home since you will have a nice honeymoon already?

OP stated that they were staying at an Adult All inclusive

Was on the Solstice Transpacific in Oct. There were at 7-8 young couples(maybe more) on board who were on their honeymoon's. They found each other very quickly and from what they said they all had a great cruise & found a bunch of new friends.

My fiance and I, both 27, are going on Celebrity for our honeymoon this December. We get married in less than 2 weeks- AHHH

We also have been on the Solstice and Carnival cruises. We prefer Celebrity- especially for our honeymoon. We do prefer the more upscale environment X provides. In my opinion, I would never consider Carnival for a honeymoon- again that is just my opinion :D

It really comes down to what you are looking for. We are not the party type. We prefer peace, relaxation, good food, and not "checking out" pool towels ;) We do like to dress up and eat in the MDR every night.

Another reason we prefer X- the strict smoking policy and roomy cabins/bathrooms.

And yes, there will be a lot of kids on Carnival during that time. There will be more than normal on X but less than Carnival.

oops one more edit :) Most of the people here are going to have a skewed view and say X. Just an FYI, and I am in the crowd haha! You should also post this on the Carnival boards.

What date is your wedding? I remember thinking you were getting married in May 2014? (Like i was). Now I moved to 12/7/13. Did you move too? :-)

As to the OP - personally it sounds to me like your mind is set on Carnival. Personally I'd go with Celebrity because I would rather the more calm/romantic setting than all the kids - but - you've gotta go with what your likings are.

What date is your wedding? I remember thinking you were getting married in May 2014? (Like i was). Now I moved to 12/7/13. Did you move too? :-)

As to the OP - personally it sounds to me like your mind is set on Carnival. Personally I'd go with Celebrity because I would rather the more calm/romantic setting than all the kids - but - you've gotta go with what your likings are.

HI :)! We are getting married November 30th- THIS YEAR! As in a few days! Ahhh! :eek:

You are just around the corner too :)

We are taking our honeymoon on December 9th on the Equinox. What are your honeymoon plans again?

So I've made up my mind...If you can't choose between the 2 ships, then why not do them both! Just last week I booked a cruise with my brothers and friends on the Carnival Breeze in February and I will do the Celebrity Reflection for the honeymoon next December. Its a win-win in my books. Thanks again for everyones replies. Much appreciated :)