Insurance - What is covered and what is not

A good place to compare policies is insuremytrip.com...you can compare several policies side by side..it helps to figure out what coverage is most important to you...medical...cancellation...trip interuption...lost luggage...then you can compare apples to apples on each policy...

Most Travel Insurance policies cover the basics of Trip Cancellation (for reasons listed in the Policy)/Trip Interruption/Trip Delay, Medical/Medical-Evacuation Coverage and Luggage Loss/Damage/Delay. The Amounts of coverage and the specifics/limitations of coverage vary greatly from Policy-to-Policy.

Some policies cover kids free with adults, some cover cancellation for business reasons, etc.

If you purchase at time of booking, most policies include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" and most allow you to purchase (usually at 50% added premium) "Cancel for Any Reason". Most cruiseline policies include "Cancel for Any Reason" but usually for 75% reimbursenment but as a future cruise CREDIT. Most Cruiseline Polcies do NOT include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions".

ken

The advice to go to insuremytrip.com is right on. You can compare policies side by side to get the coverage you want.

Downside for cruise line insurance (for me) is that there is only 25K medi-vac which is not very much. Third party insurance has 50K to 1 million. The other is no pre-existing available for anything that has manifested itself within 60 or more days prior to buying the policy.

Downside for third party is that you pay for it when you contract for it. Cruise line you don't pay until final payment unless you want to pay for it ahead of time to get the clock "ticking" on any medical problems that might pop up between booking and initial payment and haven't had any for the 60+ days prior to buying it. If you end up cancelling the cruise, you do not get a refund from third party but some will let you transfer it to another booking if you have one.

Third party cost is based on age/cost of cruise which can be higher than cruise line whose prices are "one size fits all." It costs the same for a 3 year old as a 103 year old. If you are a "certain age," it can be cheaper than third party.

Third party will cover you door to door. Cruise line insurance sometimes will only cover the actual cruise if you buy your air/pre-post cruise hotels/car rental, etc independently.

When I price out third party, I figure out what the minimum I need is--say $1,600. Then I "inch" the coverage up until the premium goes up to get the most bang for my buck. I may not need $2K worth but if it is the same price, why not get it. I, also, start it a day before I'm leaving and end it the day after I plan to come home. Does not change the price. It is not necessary to "insure" government taxes or gratuities because, if you cancel, the cruise line will refund those. However, I do not exclude those unless they are going to put me into higher premium..

If you aren't sure of the final cost but want to buy it within two weeks of booking to get pre-existing, then buy a policy that will cover the costs you know about. You can call the insurance company later and up the coverage (with additional premium) if you find you can't use frequent flyer miles or want to add on some pre/post costs which would put you at a greater financial risk.

Tucker in Texas

Surprisingly, I purchased insurance through RCI and found that it covered my (now ex-) husband's jump off a boat into the water in Bermuda with my expensive camera in his pocket. Canon replaced the camera for about half of what I paid for it, and the insurance reimbursed me.

I really never have looked into Cruise Insurance before' date=' but, thought I would look into it a little more. What is covered with the Cruise Insurance and what is not?

Thank you,[/quote']

A few other's that have posted are assuming you mean "travel" insurance..I'm assuming you actually mean "cruise" insurance from the cruiseline you are using (but I may be the one who is wrong)..best to check directly on their (cruiseline) website if this is the case for the specifics of their policy as each can differ....Best of luck.

Surprisingly, I purchased insurance through RCI and found that it covered my (now ex-) husband's jump off a boat into the water in Bermuda with my expensive camera in his pocket. Canon replaced the camera for about half of what I paid for it, and the insurance reimbursed me.

I guess your (ex) husband wasn't a loss that was covered...but at least the camera was.:eek::D