Navigator Itinerary - Is Port in Falmouth Jamaica Worth It?

cjdixon4

I'm narrowing down an itinerary on Navigator of the Seas hopefully for May 2014, and looking eagerly forward to the sailing. I'm vascillating a bit on whether or not to do the sailing that includes Falmouth Jamaica. Heard that Falmouth is not quite as developed as one would hope and I'm not certain that I want to waste a port stop if there's nothing interesting there. The other ports (Cozumel & Grand Cayman) are fine with me but I'd like to enjoy ALL of the stops, if possible.

Has anybody been to Falmouth recently on an RCCL cruise recently? If so, was it worth your time?

I'm narrowing down an itinerary on Navigator of the Seas hopefully for May 2014, and looking eagerly forward to the sailing. I'm vascillating a bit on whether or not to do the sailing that includes Falmouth Jamaica. Heard that Falmouth is not quite as developed as one would hope and I'm not certain that I want to waste a port stop if there's nothing interesting there. The other ports (Cozumel & Grand Cayman) are fine with me but I'd like to enjoy ALL of the stops, if possible.

Has anybody been to Falmouth recently on an RCCL cruise recently? If so, was it worth your time?

Yes, we book day passes for an all-inclusive resort while in Jamaica. They usually include transportation to and from the ship, also all food and drinks, beautiful beach, pools, etc. Wonderful way to spend the day.

Also, if you have never been to Dunn's River Falls and climbed the Falls that is a fun day if you like to be a little more active.

Check out the Ports of Call Boards on here and hit the Jamaica threads. Lots of valuable information.

We did Falmouth last year (Aug 2012) with our 2 kids (4 and 5). While we enjoyed the Dunn's River Falls (we had done them before on another cruise) - Falmouth as a whole was a disappointment.

If I had an alternate itinerary on the same ship I could have chosen that was more or less the same, but avoided Falmouth - I would have taken it.

Yes we have been to Falmouth but it was a year ago

The least favorite of all 3 ports in Jamaica

If you have never been DRF It is a must do for the first timer

BTW we will be there in Jan didn't deter us from booking the Liberty

Maybe this time we will tube the river or something

Edited by jonbgd

At Falmouth you need to either stay inside the RCI built shopping area or take an excursion. Unfortunately, it is a long drive to Dunn's River Falls, which is so much closer to Ocho Rios then Falmouth. I much prefer Grand Cayman which is safe to walk around in and offers easy access to beaches and plenty of private excursion possibilites.

I was just reading about this in the ports of call section trying to prepare for our October trip. Many recommend a private tour with Peat Taylor Tours. You can combine several activites. I thought it looked really interesting and will most likely do the Dunn's River Falls + River Tubing + Blue Hole. Looks like lots of fun!! Another site (sounds like rip divisor) has Irie Blue Hole as the highest rated. If we are limited by time we may just do Blue Hole.

There isn't much in Falmouth, you would need to do something in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.

Hey Pebbles- That is exactly what I've been hearing about Falmouth. Maybe a trip to one of the nearby more "touristy" locations might make a difference.

I see you're from the Chi also. Hope that you were unaffected by the weather this past weekend. Thanks for responding!

We stopped in Falmouth this April. The port area itself has a nice shopping area. You can get a quick tour of the town of Falmouth, as well, but we went on an excursion through RCCL that included Green Grotto caves and Dunn's River Falls. It was a good tour and there were other excursions that sounded good.

I wouldn't put Falmouth on a list of must-do ports, by any means, but I wouldn't avoid it, either. We had a nice day in Jamaica.

The Falmouth port area is nice and safe, However the area just outside the Royal Caribbean owned port area is sketchy. I was there back in march on the Navigator and while we enjoyed our time, you definatly have to leave the area directly outside the port.

It is worth a stop for the food and culture, but you may want to do somethig RC run or take a cab to montego bay or somewhere more developed.

Which ones have you done? Which was your favorite?

Hilton Rose Hall is very nice. It cost us $94 this past spring, but I see on the website that they have increased that to $114.

http://www.resortforaday.com/product-p/mbfmjahr.htm

Did I have a good time? yes.

Would I spend that much money again? no.

Hilton Rose Hall is very nice. It cost us $94 this past spring, but I see on the website that they have increased that to $114.

You beat me to it. Yes the Hilton Rose Hall is nice. We have enjoyed it several times.

I much preferred when RCI was docking in Ocho Rios. Dunn's River Falls is a blast and it was only a 10-15 minute ride from the pier to the Falls. Falmouth is sort of in the middle between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay which are really the destination centers. Everything just seems to require a lot more traveling now.

We solved that question for us by booking the Navigator for May 14th and going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel instead.

I am curious as well about Falmouth however. Are there ever two RCI ships in port at the same time?

Yes, we were on Liberty over Thanksgiving last year and Allure was there with us.

My thoughts exactly. We were just there in October (still $94 then) for the first time. It was an enjoyable day but seemed a little expensive compared to other all inclusive resort days we have done elsewhere. If the price has since increased, I am positive we would not repeat.

We will be returning to Falmouth in January and plan to mostly stay on the ship, maybe just walk through the port area for a little while.

Yes, we were on Liberty over Thanksgiving last year and Allure was there with us.

WOW how was that with the Allure there? Jamaica Security was pretty slow with only one ship there

This is a port where I would recommend taking a ship's excursion. There are tons to chose from. I would not suggest just walking around town to "get a taste of the local flavor." IMHO it is the most economically depressed port city I have visited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

WOW how was that with the Allure there? Jamaica Security was pretty slow with only one ship there

I couldn't see any ill effect from Allure being there. There are two separate security areas, one for each ship, so we weren't in the same security lines as the Allure guests. Also, I think the ships had different all aboard times, so that probably helped the most.

I couldn't see any ill effect from Allure being there. There are two separate security areas, one for each ship, so we weren't in the same security lines as the Allure guests. Also, I think the ships had different all aboard times, so that probably helped the most.

Oh OK Thanks

Hey Pebbles- That is exactly what I've been hearing about Falmouth. Maybe a trip to one of the nearby more "touristy" locations might make a difference.

I see you're from the Chi also. Hope that you were unaffected by the weather this past weekend. Thanks for responding!

Falmouth is a historic town, and plenty local sites to see, schoolhouse, etc. Only local historic sights, nothing adventurous in Falmouth. However, there are more adventurous things available in Ocho or MoBay. Falmouth is being built up with the help of RCCL.

There are plenty local tour companies that can provide a customized, safe tour to either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay for a more reasonable price than the larger non-customized tours offered on the ship.

The biggest problem with going to the more 'touristy' locations is that with the ship docking in Falmouth... it is now about 45 minutes to get there. When the ships docked in Ocho Rios, Jamaica was our favorite stop. The people are wonderful, the music and the beauty of the water and country. Our biggest problem is having to spend 1.5 hours in a car getting there... I'm still trying to decide what to do for our trip.

There are also plenty tours available once you get off the ship as well if you have not organized one in advance. There is a board with bus options and the cost one way as well as round trip. There is also a historic trolly tour and even a horse and buggy tour that can be arranged once off the ship and past the gates.

** Hi CJ!! We were unaffected by the weather .. just bad winds here. Thank you!

Edited by Pebbles468

Went to Falmouth on a cruise last December and we went on a great tour! visited dunns river falls, which I don't remember being that far away. Then the guide took us river tubing and we stopped at a local place to eat. He offered us time for shopping but we declined. our admission to the falls was included in our tour price, so was the tubing. I love Jamaica and the people of the island. If you go with a laid back attitude, you will have nothing but fun! mark Morris aw the tour guide I worked with for our visit.