Let's Hear from Those Who Have Made Final payment before Nov. 25

JJPacer

I have 2 cruises coming up. Both are 14 nights. One in Jan. on Celebrity.......paid in full in October. The other one is next summer on Azamara.....deposit and paid in full on choice air.....a hefty amount of money. Do I want to cancel? No. I booked on the old system. I am elite. At the time I booked it did not really matter what points or credits were given to me? Extra points would not change my elite status. Then you go ahead and create 2 additional new categories making the points valuable. Now I am not pleased. You should have left the old system in place. If you had, you would not be having so many people expressing their views. I am in the great no place area at 540. It will be years before I get to Plus. Zenith is not even a possibility. So now where does this leave me. I used to feel great about having Elite status. Now that elite has been downgraded. I am not feeling appreciated as much as I did before the change. I know that I still get the same benefits. They just do not make me feel as loyal. Celebrity created this situation. My opinion of Celebrity is questionable. We need Edie Bornstein back. I know that she went to Crustal. I got email from Crystal.

I didn't get by her post that she was saying people could not post their problems or complain as much as they want, I think she is saying that many flamed her for complaining about a change that Celebrity made to her (telling her that Celebrity had the right to make changes and she should live with it) and now those same people are complaining about how changes that Celebrity made are unfair to them. It seems like some say changes are okay, unless it applies to them and then it is wrong.

Exactly!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have 2 cruises coming up. Both are 14 nights. One in Jan. on Celebrity.......paid in full in October. The other one is next summer on Azamara.....deposit and paid in full on choice air.....a hefty amount of money. Do I want to cancel? No. I booked on the old system. I am elite. At the time I booked it did not really matter what points or credits were given to me? Extra points would not change my elite status. Then you go ahead and create 2 additional new categories making the points valuable. Now I am not pleased. You should have left the old system in place. If you had, you would not be having so many people expressing their views. I am in the great no place area at 540. It will be years before I get to Plus. Zenith is not even a possibility. So now where does this leave me. I used to feel great about having Elite status. Now that elite has been downgraded. I am not feeling appreciated as much as I did before the change. I know that I still get the same benefits. They just do not make me feel as loyal. Celebrity created this situation. My opinion of Celebrity is questionable. We need Edie Bornstein back. I know that she went to Crustal. I got email from Crystal.

This is a joke right?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Like I said, I'd guess you're right. I was just pointing out that it doesn't say for sure and could be taken otherwise. It might be nice to make Elite two days into a 14 day cruise... For example.

Tom

You earn them each night, but I can't see them adding to your account until the conclusion of your cruise as a total number. Come to think of it, why would it matter if you got them daily or at the end of the cruise?

-Anyone who says X can't change the program to those with existing reservations without letting them know or doing this or that, has not read their terms and conditions and is simply flat out wrong.

I disagree with Cle-Guy; there is at least some merit to the other postings.While Celebrity can change the rules anytime, there is an issue of "good faith". What if you purchase the classic alcohol package which allows you unlimited cocktails up to $8 and beer to $5, and then prior to your cruise the prices for cocktails are increased to $9 and beers to $5.50 thereby making the package essentially worthless. Could Celebrity do it? The "rules" allow it. Would it be acting in good faith, of course not.

It reminded me of the issue several years ago when a Court found that charging a fuel surcharge after the fact was improper. Or the imposition of a baggage charge after a ticket is purchased

It would be so much simpler to say.."new guidelines apply to any cruise booked hereafter".

Don't think that would help.

Edited by maxsales

I believe the conversion ratio was good and the new program is good. But the conversion should be based on credits currently earned or those to be earned on cruises which are after the final payment date. That would have been fairer since we have no ability to change our plans like Celebrity did.

Paulras,

I agree with you! I am not upset about the new program, I just think the situation could have been handled better for those of us who have already made our final payments.

I also agree that I am cruising Celebrity because I like the brand. Hope you have a great cruise! I know we will. Points or no points, we will continue to cruise. We will continue to cruise both Celebrity and Princess.

I am one of the very few (other than those in the big suites) who have paid in full for a cruise next month and am actually better off than under the old system. 11 days in balcony was 1 credit; now its 33 points (more than 30). However, I do lose on the other two cruises I booked - 14 days was 2 credits or 60 points; now it is 42 each.

First, I am chuckling at people 'almost select' complaining. You haven't sailed enough to be a loyal Celebrity cruiser.:thumbdown:

Second, for those who ask me to renounce my Elite benefits, let me assure you that, on my last cruise, I used only two of the twelve coupons that I was entitled to use, and only went to the Elite lounge a few times. My partner didn't use any coupons....Therefore, by some calculations, I'm owed several hundred dollars!:rolleyes:

Last, I am nearly Elite Plus, and will receive no benefit that I can or want to use when I am (don't do that much laundry, spend that much time on a computer, or drink coffee. I get much better discounts on specialty restaurants without the perk) So, in solidarity with all you complainers, I renounce the Elite Plus benefits I will receive some time next year.

(And, like Celebrity, I reserve the right to change my mind!:D )

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

-Anyone who says X can't change the program to those with existing reservations without letting them know or doing this or that, has not read their terms and conditions and is simply flat out wrong.

I disagree with Cle-Guy; there is at least some merit to the other postings.While Celebrity can change the rules anytime, there is an issue of "good faith". What if you purchase the classic alcohol package which allows you unlimited cocktails up to $8 and beer to $5, and then prior to your cruise the prices for cocktails are increased to $9 and beers to $5.50 thereby making the package essentially worthless. Could Celebrity do it? The "rules" allow it. Would it be acting in good faith, of course not.

It reminded me of the issue several years ago when a Court found that charging a fuel surcharge after the fact was improper. Or the imposition of a baggage charge after a ticket is purchased

It would be so much simpler to say.."new guidelines apply to any cruise booked hereafter".

I think you summed it up very well. There is a difference between inferring that someone is saying I am so angry with Celebrity because of this change and I am not going to book with them again versus simply hoping that Celebrity would honor the previous calculations.

Do people cruise simply for the points, no of course not. Now many, including myself have booked CC to get double the points of a veranda. That is something that makes sense to consider. For an extra $50, $75, or $100 per person is it worth getting double the points and/or the benefits with the CC?

I fell that Celebrity could have handled the conversion much better by announcing the changes at least 90 days ahead of time. Would I like my points to be calculated using the old system since I am past paid in full? Of course I would. Am I going to pout and scream on my upcoming cruise? No, I will enjoy it. But I can simply ask them to calculate my points under the old system and they can say yes or no.

I think you summed it up very well. There is a difference between inferring that someone is saying I am so angry with Celebrity because of this change and I am not going to book with them again versus simply hoping that Celebrity would honor the previous calculations.

Do people cruise simply for the points, no of course not. Now many, including myself have booked CC to get double the points of a veranda. That is something that makes sense to consider. For an extra $50, $75, or $100 per person is it worth getting double the points and/or the benefits with the CC?

I fell that Celebrity could have handled the conversion much better by announcing the changes at least 90 days ahead of time. Would I like my points to be calculated using the old system since I am past paid in full? Of course I would. Am I going to pout and scream on my upcoming cruise? No, I will enjoy it. But I can simply ask them to calculate my points under the old system and they can say yes or no.

Exactly. Thank you for putting it so well.

Just a suggestion:

If you find yourself a couple of points short from the next level because of the change and what would have been your level up cruise is booked and paid for, have you talked with Captains Club about it?

Unlike the loyalty program changes that have been going on with airlines, hotels, and even rental car companies, this change is more good than bad with more benefits being offered to the best customers. It's a loyalty program. If Celebrity has to make some special adjustments at the margins to keep loyal customers happy, it probably will. Tell them your situation and ask them to throw you some extra points. What's the worst that can happen?

Am Select, if anyone wants my points, they can have them. Have a Jan cruise on X pd in full and a March 31st pending. Going on both and don't give a hoot about points. March cruise is a C1 and would have made me Elite. SO WHAT!!

I think you are on to something. I am currently in the select status and have a 10 day cruise coming up in January. I would gladly sell my points. My airline reward program lets you transfer point and buy points maybe this would be a solution.