Let's Hear from Those Who Have Made Final payment before Nov. 25

JJPacer

How many people out there have made final payment on upcoming cruises BEFORE the new Captains Club changed on Nov. 25?

We have 2 cruises booked, both paid in full. Payment was made prior to the announcement on Nov. 25. We booked those cruises under the "old" system, and expected to be Elite after we completed our Feb. South America/Antarctica cruise. Now we will be 55 days short of Elite.

How about you? There has to be other's in the same situation.

I think they should give the points per cruise....once the cruise is completed...for all the cruises that are paid in full prior to Nov. 25. X Should have thought about this scenario during their planning stage. That would make it more equitable for those in this situation.

The new program came out and was effective that same day. Time should have been given for their customers to decide how they want to proceed under the new plan. Once you make final payment, you are locked in, and no options are available to you.

I would have booked a cheaper cabin if I had known about the change. They are not going to do anything about it. So I might as well get over it and just enjoy my cruise.

In my opinion, if they want final payment 90 days in advance, for example, then they should have made the change effective 90 days from the announcement. I understand that they have the right, under their rules, to change the program at any point. I just think it would have been a better customer service situation if they had done the roll out differently.

I agree with JJPacer. The point is that they have taken money with a penalty to cancel and then changed their rules. They should either give the equivalent points as under the new system to those that are past final payment or allow cancellations with full refunds.

We are in the same boat with an upcoming January cruise. Now I doubt that many cruisers will cancel if they would actually allow that option, but it would show good customer service to do so.

I sent an email asking to be credited with 60 points for an upcoming CC 7 night cruise instead of the 35 points with the new system due to the fact that I am past the paid in full date. Of course, I haven't heard back yet and don't expect to the the answer I am hoping for.

Actually they didn't change the rules...in fact the rules themselves (the term and conditions we all agree to when joining the Captain's Club specifically stipulate they are subject to change at any time.

Here they made a change, which is within the stated rules.

Crap happens, move on. Anyone booking a cabin for no reason other than to earn points is full of BS. Primary reason for booking was for a vacation, CC perks probably didn't hurt anything, but seriously, threatening to cancel a cruise over cruise points? Anyone who does this IS NOT THE LOYAL CUSTOMER these programs are here to cater to and should be 'culled' from the club.

Actually they didn't change the rules...in fact the rules themselves (the term and conditions we all agree to when joining the Captain's Club specifically stipulate they are subject to change at any time.

Crap happens, move on. Anyone booking a cabin for no reason other than to earn points is full of BS. Primary reason for booking was for a vacation, CC perks probably didn't hurt anything, but seriously, threatening to cancel a cruise over cruise points? Anyone who does this IS NOT THE LOYAL CUSTOMER these programs are here to cater to and should be 'culled' from the club.

Well said...I'm actually loving all this...when our Alaska cruise was canceled this past summer and I was on CC venting frustration about a cruise canceled after a year of planning, 24 hours prior to departure, I was flamed without mercy by many who are now posting sour grapes over the new Captains Club...boy is this fun to watch!

Edited by deise17311

Well said...I'm actually loving all this...when our Alaska cruise was canceled this past summer and I was on CC venting frustration about a cruise canceled after a year of planning, 24 hours prior to departure, I was flamed without mercy by many who are now posting sour grapes over the new Captains Club...boy is this fun to watch!

Very well put. I like the ones that use to say it was too easy to make Elite and now they are complaining that it is too hard for them to make Elite+ or Zenith. It is different when the shoe is on the other foot!

Edited by NLH Arizona

Didn't stop you from posting over and over again about your situation. Everyone gets to vent. I did and was flamed too. Doesn't change your situation or ours that in some way we lost out. Maybe we should both agree that Celebrity could have handled things alittle better.

Edited by Karen@Steve

Didn't stop you from posting over and over again about your situation. Everyone gets to vent. I did and was flamed too. Doesn't change your situation or ours that in some way we lost out. Maybe we should both agree that Celebrity could have handled things alittle better.

I didn't get by her post that she was saying people could not post their problems or complain as much as they want, I think she is saying that many flamed her for complaining about a change that Celebrity made to her (telling her that Celebrity had the right to make changes and she should live with it) and now those same people are complaining about how changes that Celebrity made are unfair to them. It seems like some say changes are okay, unless it applies to them and then it is wrong.

I didn't get by her post that she was saying people could not post their problems or complain as much as they want, I think she is saying that many flamed her for complaining about a change that Celebrity made to her (telling her that Celebrity had the right to make changes and she should live with it) and now those same people are complaining about how changes that Celebrity made are unfair to them. It seems like some say changes are okay, unless it applies to them and then it is wrong.

Sorry, I took it differently. That she was sort of glad that other people were being flamed for complaining as she was. I don't disagree that people are only concerned with what affect themselves. I had nothing but empathy for those that lost their vacations due to the Millie problem. Many people didn't care. WHen I posted that I was disappointed with Celebrity changing the rules 6 days before my sail I was flamed probably by the same people who got Elite status in 4 cruises and now are looking down on people who cruised more than that and are still working toward status.

I am also of the belief that if Celebrity sold me a cabin and promised me an extra cruise point under the old system they should make good with their promise. Others are free to disagree. In my case, I can't show my disappointment by canceling or even modifying my reservation as an adjustment to their change in the contract as I am sailing in 3 days. Just giving me some type of the option would probably have appeased me.

Other than that I think the new program is a good one. And yes, I did book a CC cabin for the extra point on this cruise and the last as the amenities aren't really worth the price difference. And for those who say that the elite benefits aren't in important, please cc me on the email you send to Celebrity saying you don't want those benefit as they are not important to you.

I'm going to cruise in a few days, I will enjoy my cruise. Celebrity is a nice line and I love the smoking policy. I have one more cruise I have to take with them (will never buy a future cruise credit ever again) and then I will look around and decide how I want to use my vacation $$s. I will probably never make elite until I retire, if ever and will make my cabin decision based on that fact.

I do land based travel with a company that honors their loyalty program. When they make a change they announce it in advance and allow people to adjust to their satisfaction. Celebrity might want to think about doing that in the future with at least 90 days notice. As in...starting in XX/XX/XXXX we'll be changing our loyalty program to blah, blah, blah. Doing that would have allowed me to decide to keep my cabin, change my reservation or cancel if I so chose.

I probably would have not done any of those things but by the fact that they didn't give me any choice makes me feel rather devalued by Celebrity. So feel free to disagree, I don't care. My feelings are mine.

Edited by Karen@Steve

Yes and well said. I am just amazed at how many threads and posts are appearing about points - instead of cruising. There sure are a lot of people concerned about it and what status they are.

Why not just book your cruise based on where you want to go, price, and the best ship to get you there :confused:

Edited by LEtue

Sorry, I took it differently. That she was sort of glad that other people were being flamed for complaining as she was. I don't disagree that people are only concerned with what affect themselves. I had nothing but empathy for those that lost their vacations due to the Millie problem. Many people didn't care. WHen I posted that I was disappointed with Celebrity changing the rules 6 days before my sail I was flamed probably by the same people who got Elite status in 4 cruises and now are looking down on people who cruised more than that and are still working toward status.

I am also of the belief that if Celebrity sold me a cabin and promised me an extra cruise point under the old system they should make good with their promise. Others are free to disagree. In my case, I can't show my disappointment by canceling or even modifying my reservation as an adjustment to their change in the contract as I am sailing in 3 days. Just giving me some type of the option would probably have appeased me.

Other than that I think the new program is a good one. And yes, I did book a CC cabin for the extra point on this cruise and the last as the amenities aren't really worth the price difference. And for those who say that the elite benefits aren't in important, please cc me on the email you send to Celebrity saying you don't want those benefit as they are not important to you.

I'm going to cruise in a few days, I will enjoy my cruise. Celebrity is a nice line and I love the smoking policy. I have one more cruise I have to take with them (will never buy a future cruise credit ever again) and then I will look around and decide how I want to use my vacation $$s. I will probably never make elite until I retire, if ever and will make my cabin decision based on that fact.

I do land based travel with a company that honors their loyalty program. When they make a change they announce it in advance and allow people to adjust to their satisfaction. Celebrity might want to think about doing that in the future with at least 90 days notice. As in...starting in XX/XX/XXXX we'll be changing our loyalty program to blah, blah, blah. Doing that would have allowed me to decide to keep my cabin, change my reservation or cancel if I so chose.

I probably would have not done any of those things but by the fact that they didn't give me any choice makes me feel rather devalued by Celebrity. So feel free to disagree, I don't care. My feelings are mine.

It is every customers choice how to spend their $'s, if one is unhappy with anything a company does or any changes they make, maybe they should shop around to see if there are better opportunities for them and a company that will make them feel more rewarded. That is the best thing about being a consumer, you have the power over how you spend your money.

If they gave 90 days notice, then those with cruise 120 days out would have the same complaint. If they gave points to those with paid cruises, then those with deposited cruises would complain. So where do they draw the line. I'm sure they did the research and drew the line where they thought it would have the least amount of damage to their company.

I think everyone feels for those negatively affected by the changes, but you have to admit that it is interesting to see those that were so vocal about Celebrity having the right to make changes when someone complained about a change and now some of them are the loudest voices about how wrong these changes are. Same goes for those that said it was too easy to make Elite for years and now they are complaining it is too hard to make Elite+ or Zenith.

p.s. I don't cruise for benefits, I've never used any of the Select perks. I will use the laundry and internet only when I make Elite, but is that the reason I cruise, no. Is that the reason I cruise with Celebrity, no. Do I need them, no, will I enjoy them yes.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Some observations....

-Anyone with more than 50 posts on the CC forums probably can not now say X didn't let me know their program was changing. Yeah, you knew it was changing - you didn't know the details but you knew change was-a-comin'.

-Anyone who within the 1st week of the new program who has once uttered anything along the lines of "well, now I'm forced to look at other lines for my money" can not be upset that a LOYALTY program has changed. You are not the loyal customer the loyalty program is looking for. You are a fickle customer.

-Anyone who booked a cruise only because of the promise of points, again, NOT A LOYAL CUSTOMER.

-Anyone who says X can't change the program to those with existing reservations without letting them know or doing this or that, has not read their terms and conditions and is simply flat out wrong.

Just my thoughts.

If my prior cruse history was calculated with new points system, I'd have about 80 more points versus the XXX * 30 = New Points system. but that's the way it worked out. I'm not making any changes to existing reservations, I'm not looking at other lines for my vacations, I haven't called X to explain to them how they can't do what they did even though the rules say they can.

I'm looking forward to my next vacation, not the numbers on my laptop monitor 2 weeks after I get home and my points post to my account.

How many people out there have made final payment on upcoming cruises BEFORE the new Captains Club changed on Nov. 25?

We have 2 cruises booked, both paid in full. Payment was made prior to the announcement on Nov. 25. We booked those cruises under the "old" system, and expected to be Elite after we completed our Feb. South America/Antarctica cruise. Now we will be 55 days short of Elite.

How about you? There has to be other's in the same situation.

I think they should give the points per cruise....once the cruise is completed...for all the cruises that are paid in full prior to Nov. 25. X Should have thought about this scenario during their planning stage. That would make it more equitable for those in this situation.

The new program came out and was effective that same day. Time should have been given for their customers to decide how they want to proceed under the new plan. Once you make final payment, you are locked in, and no options are available to you.

Greetings

Sorry the changes have negatively affected you, many of us are rowing in the same boat. But are you sure of your math? 55 days short seems very high if you were only two cruises from Elite. Not saying you won't be short, many have found ourselves short of points, but 55 days seems in error.

Good Sailing

Tom

Well put. I agree with your assessment. I have a B2B in January well past final payment now, and was looking forward to being Select after my cruise. Yes, even those of us that aren't shooting for Elite quite yet are affected. I chose CC to get the extra points. Yes, I would still have booked the cruises, but they would have possibly have been in veranda cabins with the new system since it will take substantially longer to reach the next level.

Will I still sail Celebrity? Yes. Am I disappointed? Yes. Honest and understandable reaction.

Another person here who booked the last cruise with points in mind. No, of course we don't cruise for points, just like I don't go to my local ice cream shop with my punch card just to have them punch my card. But it's still a bit like pulling the rug out from under us if I buy an ice cream and you tell me this kind of ice cream doesn't get a punch anymore, or only gets half a punch. I still want the ice cream, and of course you don't have to give me anything extra. But when I have paid as much as I have paid for a cruise, it would be nice if you honored what you originally said when we paid.

So yes, we did book CC for our next cruise because of the cruise point. I mean, we are actually one of those who do enjoy the little extras that come with it, like the flowers and the upgraded breakfast menu and priority embarkation. Not enough to pay lots for it, but that when combined with the extra cruise point made it worthwhile to pay just a little more for it, especially when after this cruise we will be in the next level. Now we will not be. Oh well.

I like the new system, I really do. But like a lot of people are saying here, it would have been nice for them to only apply the new system to people who paid in full only after the announcement. I don't want them to give us the option of cancelling our cruise. I just want them to give us what they originally said they would give us. Again, I understand that they don't have to, but it would definitely earn them just a little more goodwill.

Yes – but who cares as NO ONE lost their existing CC level. I have a paid in full 14 night cruise that sails in 4 weeks. I really don’t need the points as I am a good bit away from the next level. The timing of the conversion and the point structure will cause us (as I guess many others) to receive fewer points for our upcoming cruise. ( 14 nights in a veranda cabin, 2 credits in old system = 60 at conversion vs. 42 for the actual sailing )

I have no problem with this, as points (as were credits) are awarded AFTER the sailing. If I had paid in full, and cancelled, I would not get the points unless I actually sailed.

Just a side note – I sailed in RCCL the week of the credit to point conversion . They did not know if I should receive 2 credits or 14 points so in their wisdom they gave me just 2 points ( instead of the prescribed 14) for 7 nights in a suite. It took a while to work out.

m

I have no problem with this' date=' as [u']points (as were credits) are awarded AFTER the sailing. [/u]If I had paid in full, and cancelled, I would not get the points unless I actually sailed.

But Celebrity would keep 100% of your payment in full, and that's what folks above are noting. Once you are past final payment, you are beyond the point of no return, so to speak, in terms of the deal with Celebrity. So I think it's not unreasonable for people who are beyond final payment to be disturbed by this.

Indeed, how often have posters here on CC advised people trying to decide between a veranda cabin and a concierge cabin that the latter is worth it "for the extra point." Celebrity has marketed the concierge class cabins that way. People above are merely asking for the benefit of the bargain, now that they are beyond final payment. All I am saying is that they aren't being unreasonable to feel annoyed about this.

We don't cruise for points or loyalty club benefits, we cruise to vacation and we pick our itinerary and stateroom depending on what is best for us at the time. But I totally understand where these folks are coming from in wanting the benefit of their bargain with Celebrity, and I might be equally annoyed were we in the same boat now (no pun intended).

But Celebrity would keep 100% of your payment in full, and that's what folks above are noting. Once you are past final payment, you are beyond the point of no return, so to speak, in terms of the deal with Celebrity. So I think it's not unreasonable for people who are beyond final payment to be disturbed by this.

This has always been the case, Celebrity and every other cruise line has always had payment in full WAY prior to sailing. I could see issues if CC categories were reduced, but they were not. NO one lost a category that was already reached. In addition, it seems that most benefits stayed in place.

Simple explanation – you get the benefit and perhaps new category AFTER you sail. I imagine there will be folks that believe they reached the new category mid cruise and want the level change. This, in fact, has been mentioned many times on the RCCL boards. It will be quite reasonable for a cruiser to be just a few points away from the next category and embark on a cruise and want the new level mid cruise. No go – as points are awarded AFTER one cruises.

For folks who are really angry - I guess a solution is if one has cruise insurance with a "cancel for any reason" benefit, simply cancel if the change is that big if a deal.

M

I leave on December 10. I made Elite after my last cruise, and I am far from Elite+. I booked an AQ cabin, and that wasn't in any way due to point earning potential. So I am not particularly upset.

HOWEVER, in the past I have booked a Concierge cabin on my way to Elite, with a major factor being the extra point, and had I done something like that this time around I would be quite upset.

Airlines change FF programs all the time. They honor paid tickets and provide notice. So do hotel programs. I think Celebrity could have avoided significant ill-will with the rollout by at least allowing the credit to accumulate at the old rate for those past final payment. In theory those that are farther out then that could change their cabin's to reflect what they would buy under the new rules, including canceling altogether.

It is obvious that the timing is the most controversial aspect of the new program. I consider the program changes mostly positive. Thus having the rollout leave a bad taste in the mouths of many is sad.

You wanted to hear from people who had made final payment prior to the change. I made the final payment on my January cruise prior to the change. I did not book for points, I booked the cabin I wanted next door to the cabin of friends I am cruising with.

I'm fine with the change. I didn't lose anything. Won't be using many of the benefits on this cruise as none of the women I am traveling with have any "status" with Celebrity. That's fine. We'll all still have a good time.

You wanted to hear from people who had made final payment prior to the change. I made the final payment on my January cruise prior to the change. I did not book for points, I booked the cabin I wanted next door to the cabin of friends I am cruising with.

I'm fine with the change. I didn't lose anything. Won't be using many of the benefits on this cruise as none of the women I am traveling with have any "status" with Celebrity. That's fine. We'll all still have a good time.

I was going to tell you to have a good time, but I can see by your attitude that you will, so I'll just say travel safe and enjoy your cruise!