NCL Policy when prices drop after final payment?

dongordon

Both upgrades/upsells and OBC are possible.

I have also seen them honor an OBC promotion that has expired. But I have not seen them give an OBC as compensation for a price drop. Sure, maybe it's happened, but it would appear to be a rare occurrence. It seems that an upgrade/upsell (subject to availability, of course) is far more likely.

And I also agree the best way to approach this is with a long, patient conversation. If, by contrast, one was to simply "demand" something, I wouldn't expect successful results.

I have also seen them honor an OBC promotion that has expired. But I have not seen them give an OBC as compensation for a price drop. Sure, maybe it's happened, but it would appear to be a rare occurrence. It seems that an upgrade/upsell (subject to availability, of course) is far more likely.

And I also agree the best way to approach this is with a long, patient conversation. If, by contrast, one was to simply "demand" something, I wouldn't expect successful results.

I just got $60 when the price of a balcony dropped below what we paid for our original inside (that had been upgraded to an inside). The only balconies available were GTY and they refused to move us to the GTY, but offered the OBC.

I happily accepted!

I just got $60 when the price of a balcony dropped below what we paid for our original inside (that had been upgraded to an inside). The only balconies available were GTY and they refused to move us to the GTY, but offered the OBC.

I happily accepted!

It seems as though there are no definite rules for this subject.

Some even receive compensation without discussion....it is automatically offered to them when they ask.

In addition, people are getting different types of compensation.....it is truly the "Wild, Wild West" out there!! :D

It appears that it is more about the individual TA or NCL person that you or your TA speaks to....that is my conclusion.

Don

I know in my business (sales), I always try and make my customers happy (even if I have to take a cut in my commission).

It is usually the key to repeat business and there is always competition out there whatever business you are in.

However, if your customers have unreasonable expectations, you may not be able to make them happy and still maintain a viable level of profitability. You have said that you "don't need the OBC to be the difference in the cruise fare [$350]" but "that would be fair". That wouldn't be fair, that would be financial suicide for NCL, and if they gave in to this unreasonable expectation, before long there wouldn't be any company left for you to give your repeat business to.

What you are suggesting is that you should be able to enjoy all the benefits of early booking (security, choice, cheaper airfare, etc.), plus all the benefits of last-minute booking once they become apparent (rock-bottom price). I can't blame you for wanting that, but as a salesperson you must recognize that no business can afford to give you all that.

From other people's anecdotes, I think if you push harder you may be able to get 25% of the difference in OBC. I have also heard of people getting 50% of the difference in the form of FCC, but only for larger amounts, like price drops of over $500. You have suggested that anything under $200 OBC would not be "nice" on NCL's part. I really don't think you will get that. As you said, there is plenty of competition out there if NCL fails to satisfy you, and next time you may be luckier and last-minute prices will be sky-high and you will feel better about the price you agreed to. But if you find yourself in the same situation again with another cruise line, I think you will run into pretty much the same policy everywhere.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Is there any policy that NCL has if prices drop after final payment to compensate those that paid more for their cabin.

Or is it up to the individual TA to "satisfy" a loyal cruise customer?

Are upgrades or OBC made available by NCL?

Or must a TA's do this on their own?

It seems that some people on my roll call are getting both.

My TA insists that it is NCL's policy not to provide OBC but it is possible to provide upgrades to cabins depending on what is available.

Anyone out there have an answer?

Seems as though it is like the "Wild West" out there with no set rules.

Thanks.

Don

This happened to my husband and I for our cruise in Dec. We called to ask if there was anything that could be done since there was a huge price drop. They gave us a "free" cabin upgrade. No OBC was offered, which we assumed.

However, if your customers have unreasonable expectations, you may not be able to make them happy and still maintain a viable level of profitability. You have said that you "don't need the OBC to be the difference in the cruise fare [$350]" but "that would be fair". That wouldn't be fair, that would be financial suicide for NCL, and if they gave in to this unreasonable expectation, before long there wouldn't be any company left for you to give your repeat business to.

What you are suggesting is that you should be able to enjoy all the benefits of early booking (security, choice, cheaper airfare, etc.), plus all the benefits of last-minute booking once they become apparent (rock-bottom price). I can't blame you for wanting that, but as a salesperson you must recognize that no business can afford to give you all that.

From other people's anecdotes, I think if you push harder you may be able to get 25% of the difference in OBC. I have also heard of people getting 50% of the difference in the form of FCC, but only for larger amounts, like price drops of over $500. You have suggested that anything under $200 OBC would not be "nice" on NCL's part. I really don't think you will get that. As you said, there is plenty of competition out there if NCL fails to satisfy you, and next time you may be luckier and last-minute prices will be sky-high and you will feel better about the price you agreed to. But if you find yourself in the same situation again with another cruise line, I think you will run into pretty much the same policy everywhere.

You are correct.....if my customers had unreasonable expectations, I would not be able to accomodate them. That being said, I fight for a 5-10% savings for my customers. I know in advance the company's mark-up and can negotiate from there. After reading the posts on my Roll Call, NCL is obviously, offering some nice discounts to many of their customers on my upcoming cruise and not going out of business. I would like to be one of those customers than not....wouldn't you? :)

The other thing with OBC....$100 OBC is probably only costing them perhaps 50% of that or less, so IMHO, 50 bucks is no big deal for NCL to offer in this case on a 12 day cruise.

I do not think I said that $350 would be fair....I believe I said that someone on my Roll Call received that as compensation. (If I did say that, it might have been before I read all the posts on my Roll Call and this one).

I would be happy with $50 - $100 OBC .....something to show that my TA / NCL were trying to satisfy a customer since there does not seem to be a strict policy on this issue and so many others are "cashing in" on this situation. It is not as much about the money, but the principle. Either no one should be compensated or everyone should.

There is an old saying..."It is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease."

It appears to be partially true here, since people calling about it were rewarded.

Don

Pretty much NCL is damned if they do and damned if they don't. There's always going to be people who are going to have issues with what other people got and what they didn't.

Get the best deal you possible can when you book and then if you get anything extra it's a nice bonus.

Many people need to temper their unjustified feelings of entitlement.

And I've said that as nicely as I can. :D

I would be happy with $50 - $100 OBC .....something to show that my TA / NCL were trying to satisfy a customer since there does not seem to be a strict policy on this issue and so many others are "cashing in" on this situation.

Yes, in that case the amount is within the range of what other passengers say they have received from NCL. The problem is that you have to go through your TA to get it, and your TA seems to have given you a rather definitive response. Unless prices drop further, then maybe you can try again. Or if you feel strongly enough about it, you can give your TA an ultimatum and maybe they will give you $50-$100 out of their own pocket, and then you'll probably want to consider finding a new TA going forward…

As for the other people on your roll call, unless you know exactly how much they paid, and how much the price of their cabin dropped, you really can't know for sure if they are in a situation comparable to yours. For all you know, the ones who say they got $350 OBC saw the price of their cabin drop $2000. :eek: Or they're getting special consideration as a group leader or some other "high-earner" status with NCL. Or they're reporting OBC coming from several different sources. Or they're just telling tales. Who knows? All I know is that you can really go crazy obsessing about this, and totally lose sight of the fact that when you paid your balance just a few weeks ago, you were happy with the price and you were really looking forward to having a great cruise…

What ultimatum can you give the TA? You certainly can't cancel or you will lose your deposit. OP said the travel agent asked for quotes from the roll call on discounts passengers were receiving - if that is the case, that sounds like the TA wanted it to show NCL what others CLAIM they have gotten.

NCL's policy is that they will honor a lower price if you find it within 48 hours of booking. Anything they offer beyond that is a gift. OP was offered an upgrade and refused it - NCL doesn't owe anything more.

This is the chance you take booking early - getting an early price (which you should ALWAYS re-check before you make your final payment to make sure prices haven't dropped) and the cabin of your choice, or waiting until after final payment to see if prices drop and getting stuck with a lousy cabin.

In my experiences, every cruise I have ever gone on has had a price INCREASE after I booked early, never a decrease. If you were happy with the price you originally paid for your cruise, just go. TA's that may be able to get an OBC for a client may be with a company that books so much NCL that NCL will bend over backwards for that particular agencies clients. Not every agency is large enough to be favored by every cruise like they book. Those are the agencies that can work wonders for their clients - and more agencies CAN'T get those perks than can.

Yes, in that case the amount is within the range of what other passengers say they have received from NCL. The problem is that you have to go through your TA to get it, and your TA seems to have given you a rather definitive response. Unless prices drop further, then maybe you can try again. Or if you feel strongly enough about it, you can give your TA an ultimatum and maybe they will give you $50-$100 out of their own pocket, and then you'll probably want to consider finding a new TA going forward…

Edited by willysgrandma

That I completely understand.

What I am trying to find out is if there is a SPECIFIC policy.

Because some people on my roll Call are getting perks....like upgrades or OBC.

My question is:

Does this come from NCL or the TA?

Don

We received an upgrade to a balcony mini suite after prices fell. Had to ask for it.