Table for 2!

capegirl

We have requested table for 2 on full QV cruise. What is the chance of getting one and if not any tips?

It really depends how early you booked, if you don't get one allocated go to see the Maitre d' on the embarkation day and see if one is available on either first or late sitting. Failing that, one may become available after the first leg.

We booked a few years ago a year in advance and asked for 2 and got 2.

This year we booked a few weeks in advance and again asked for 2 and got 2.

From what I've read, if you book the late sitting then you have more change of a table for 2 than if you book the earlier sitting. Having said all that, the tables for 2 we're had are very close to other tables for 2, which actually is quite good because you can talk to the people next to you when you want and equally not when you you want to eat.

It can depend upon which seating you've booked early or late.

We always had a table for 2 on Cunard but we eat at the late seating. From what I've been told the early seating is much more difficult to get requests for a table for 2.

In the past when we've been assigned a table for 4,6 or 8 we just approach the maitre'd and request a change. From what I've been able to gather from my past cruises, table assignments are usually based upon request and then cabin category booked.

We have requested table for 2 on full QV cruise. What is the chance of getting one and if not any tips?

A lot depends on how far out your cruise is from when you booked it. Once you check in, check the seating listing(which will be in your room)If it's not a table for 2, go immediately to the restaurant & see the Maitre D. It may be hard to get you table for 2 the first night, but by the second night you should have it. We did that on our third trip. We had a table for 4 the first night & got our table for 2 after that. I DO recommend giving a tip to the Maitre D if he's able to accomodate you.

Having said all that, the tables for 2 we're had are very close to other tables for 2, which actually is quite good because you can talk to the people next to you when you want and equally not when you you want to eat.

Don't diners choose to dine alone because they wish to be alone? Quite a few twos are placed very near to large tables. Often a two table will be so close to an " oblong" six that it becomes an eight, defeating the object.

David.

Don't diners choose to dine alone because they wish to be alone? Quite a few twos are placed very near to large tables. Often a two table will be so close to an " oblong" six that it becomes an eight, defeating the object.

David.

Perhaps we have just been lucky, but the times we have had tables for two on early seating have been set up as 2 tables for 2 placed about 2 feet apart. The nearest large table was approximately 6-8 feet away. The two tables for two were close enough so that we could have a conversation if we wished, but unlike the large tables, not so close that we had to hear the near constant chatter from 6 or 8 others at the same table. As it has turned out, the people who were seated at the other tables for 2 have been very nice people and we ended up going to the shows with them.

David.

David,

The reason we choose a table for two is that I believe at a larger table the dinner orders aren't taken until all are seated. What if we decide, on a whim, [maybe too many cream cakes at tea time] not to go to the MDR one night?

We have always enjoyed warm conversations to those close by, so feel we have the best of both worlds.

On our 6-top (we've been as many as 11 at a 10-top) we generally establish sort of a protocol on the first night - how many minutes to wait for stragglers, switch seats at the table nightly or not, etc.

I know I won't convince anyone in this thread but the gracious and interesting dinner companions are one of the special treats in a Cunard voyage.

On our 6-top (we've been as many as 11 at a 10-top) we generally establish sort of a protocol on the first night - how many minutes to wait for stragglers, switch seats at the table nightly or not, etc.

I know I won't convince anyone in this thread but the gracious and interesting dinner companions are one of the special treats in a Cunard voyage.

Actually, Underwatr, you were beginning to reel me in with your first reasonable statement, then I read on and I think I'll stick to a table for two. Each to his own.

Edited by candle in the wind
Flow.

Don't diners choose to dine alone because they wish to be alone?

My point is that it gives you a choice. So, if you talk to the people on the next table for 2 and they don't seem very interested then that's fine and you can carry on as you were, i.e. you are both on a table for 2. But if they respond in a positive way then all well and good, and you can chat away very easily.

But if you are on a table for 4 you might get on very well with the other people or you may not. To give you an example; we went TA back to back and had a table for 4. We got on so well that that the other couple asked us if we would like to join them on their next cruise - so we did.

My point is that it gives you a choice. So, if you talk to the people on the next table for 2 and they don't seem very interested then that's fine and you can carry on as you were, i.e. you are both on a table for 2. But if they respond in a positive way then all well and good, and you can chat away very easily.

But if you are on a table for 4 you might get on very well with the other people or you may not. To give you an example; we went TA back to back and had a table for 4. We got on so well that that the other couple asked us if we would like to join them on their next cruise - so we did.

Since we're talking about it, what are your suggestions in the case where you don't get on with the other people on a table for four?

I wouldn't risk a table for four, much better odds at a table for six or eight.

Since we're talking about it, what are your suggestions in the case where you don't get on with the other people on a table for four?

I wouldn't risk a table for four, much better odds at a table for six or eight.

That's what I mean. If you have a table for 4 and you don't get on you are a bit stuffed. But with two close tables for 2 at least it's easy if you don't get on.

I should add that the table for 4 we were on was not by choice. We booked very late and asked for a 2, but expecting not to get one. As it happened it worked out exceptionally well in our case, but I could see the opposite.

Here's a question: When you ask (or get given) a table for more than 2, how does Cunard allocate people together ? I assume they do it by nationality since it's not going to be much kop if you all can't speak the same language. I wonder also if they do it by other factors - age would be my guess.

Exactly, this is the way to arrange the dinners even in the QG.

We made no arrangements for breakfast and lunch as everyone on the table may feel free to come and go as pleased.

Here's a question: When you ask (or get given) a table for more than 2, how does Cunard allocate people together ? I assume they do it by nationality since it's not going to be much kop if you all can't speak the same language. I wonder also if they do it by other factors - age would be my guess.

Well I did ask once and was told that those who've paid the most get what they want (as in table size and location) and then everyone else is just slotted in by the computer.

I don't believe they match up ages or languages. No crew member has ever given me any indication that this level of detail takes place.

Well I did ask once and was told that those who've paid the most get what they want (as in table size and location) and then everyone else is just slotted in by the computer.

But that's not the same thing as allocations on a table. If you ask for 2, 4, 6 or whatever and you have booked early/paid the most then I would expect you to get preference in your request (seems very reasonable).

I don't believe they match up ages or languages. No crew member has ever given me any indication that this level of detail takes place.

So what I mean is, if two separate couples ask for a table of 4 then how do Cunard allocate that table of 4 ? How do they match the 2 couples ?

That's why I suggested nationality (language) and/or age. I've no proof, but I've always noticed that nationalities seem to be sat together (I may have imagined that of course).

For example, we're in our late 30s/mid 40s and when we had a table of 4, the other couple were of a similar age (mid 40s and early 50s) so I just wondered if that was by design ?

Last Christmas our tablemates were an expatriate British couple (60s) and a German couple (who were fluent in English and might have specifically requested an English-speaking table for all I know) (40s).

There you go then, I said my theory was just a theory ! Maybe I was thinking they were cleverer than they are when it comes to allocating whom sits with whom.

Last Christmas our tablemates were an ... and a German couple (who were fluent in English and might have specifically requested an English-speaking table for all I know) (40s).

We do always ask for an English-speaking table since we had to dine with 6 miserable Germans on a TA who had all expected to dine their individual table for two...