HELP! Hotel I booked has bed bugs.

familyfun4

I have worked in the pest control industry for well over 20 years. Yes Bed Bugs are very very big problem. The one thing that everyone must realize is that the hotel/cruise ship/dorm/hospital/ etc. did not bring them in some customer did! Having bed bugs does not mean the hotel is dirty or in a sketchy area, they were the unlucky ones to have a customer bring them in. Some of the first breakouts of bed bugs were in the finest hotels in New York. Where the biggest problem comes from is not doing anything about it. I have some hotels call as soon as someone has reported having them much easier to treat that way. Some do not call until the outbreak is basically out of control. It is a very expensive process could cost up to $500 a room. If only found in 1 room we treat that room, rooms on each side and room above and below. That could be a cost of $2500. Some small hotel owners will try to treat themselves that is where a huge problem can start. Most of our higher end hotel chains demand that the franchise owner take care of the problem ASAP or possibly lose the franchise name. Some others no. But also not every bite is a bed bug bite. The spider used to get blamed all the time until the bed bugs showed up. It could have been a mosquito, gnat, fly, etc. you really don't know unless you see it bite you. When I travel I always take a quick check of the mattress & box springs. The first thing I want to see is Bed Bug Proof Covers on them. If I just see the mattress then I check for blood stains, their secretions and live bugs. Most high end hotels will have the bed bug proof covers on them by now. Another thing that I do is when I get home I put all our clothes in the dryer on high heat, heat kills the eggs also. Then I wash them and dryer again. I few safety measures go a long way.

I guess my post is please don't call out hotels by name just because you read a review that said that they have them. You really do not know if they do or not. Many people are not to honest and try to get free stays by claiming this, others were bit by something else but blame bed bugs. If you think your room has bed bugs report it discreetly to management not screaming at the desk clerk who don't make all that much money and really does not care if you have bed bugs. Use some caution and checking and maybe we can get these pests under control.

So you are saying that when I woke up with bites and found a live bed bug crawling in my bed, I shouldn't have called the hotel out by name? :rolleyes:

You are saying that even when I presented the live bed bug, caught in a cup, at the front desk and was told, "these things happen," and then had the manager deny they had bed bugs, I shouldn't have called the hotel out by name? :rolleyes:

I can certainly tell the difference between a bed bug, a spider, and a flea. :rolleyes:

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

So you are saying that when I woke up with bites and found a live bed bug crawling in my bed, I shouldn't have called the hotel out by name? :rolleyes:

You are saying that even when I presented the live bed bug, caught in a cup, at the front desk and was told, "these things happen," and then had the manager deny they had bed bugs, I shouldn't have called the hotel out by name? :rolleyes:

I can certainly tell the difference between a bed bug, a spider, and a flea. :rolleyes:

I don't think Killtheump's post was directed at you -- I took it as extremely informative and balanced with guidance for any traveler (just what is encouraged here on cruise critic). We travel lots (my husband used to be on the road more than 100 days a year before retiring) but didn't know to look for bedbug mattress covers. Thank you Killtheump!

Chill out I don't think I called you out. Yes you should let the Manager know, that is one of the ways they can find out about bed bugs. Me personally would never tell anyone at the front desk I would ask to see the manger. The turn over of front desk clerks is very high. In my area any way. It is possible that the hotel never had a problem with bed bugs before, but the person who stayed there before you could have brought them in. It happens. I would never post a hotel name on anything by just READING a REVEIW about them and not knowing if fact or fiction. If you found a bed bug in the bed yes good chance you were bitten by a bed bug. My point is so many people find a bite did not see what bit them or when then start complaining of bed bugs. Usually not true, usually something else. I have been called many times to hotels after a complaint and found no evidence of bed bugs, my company has a bed bug sniffing dog and he could not find any. But because this was posted in a review many people believe it to be true. It hurts their business. Bed Bugs are a major problem and will continue to be a problem until more consumers start to help get rid of them. Check your luggage after a trip, I take large garbage bags and put them in the bags and tie tight when I cruise or stay at a hotel for an extended time. I hang my clothes and don't use the drawers for any clothing. As stated I put everything in the dryer first. I also check for any signs of bed bugs.

Once again the hotel did not bring the bed bugs in the customers did. The hotel gets to pay the high price for someone bringing them in. As of right now there is no real preventive measure that is going to keep them out completely. It is up to the consumer to help with this.:rolleyes:

Question: Are the bed bug mattress covers comparable to the encasements used to exclude dust mites?

Similar look for encasement cover that has a seam with Velcro all the way around the zipper. It keeps them out of the box springs and mattress plus makes them easier to detect.

Here is a very informative site http://www.bedbugcentral.com

Edited by killtheump

Hotel name is Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port and it didn't dawn on them cruise passengers might be staying there until later ?

That tells me all I need to know about that reviewer. :rolleyes:

I thought it hysterical that that reviewer blamed the problem on the cruisers. OF COURSE " IT MAKES SENSE" that we all carry bed bugs wherever we go! :D:D

No, Killtheump did not say that! He said please not to call out hotels by name "just because you read a review that said that they have them."

Chill out I don't think I called you out. Yes you should let the Manager know, that is one of the ways they can find out about bed bugs. Me personally would never tell anyone at the front desk I would ask to see the manger. The turn over of front desk clerks is very high. In my area any way. It is possible that the hotel never had a problem with bed bugs before, but the person who stayed there before you could have brought them in. It happens. I would never post a hotel name on anything by just READING a REVEIW about them and not knowing if fact or fiction. If you found a bed bug in the bed yes good chance you were bitten by a bed bug. My point is so many people find a bite did not see what bit them or when then start complaining of bed bugs. Usually not true, usually something else. I have been called many times to hotels after a complaint and found no evidence of bed bugs, my company has a bed bug sniffing dog and he could not find any. But because this was posted in a review many people believe it to be true. It hurts their business. Bed Bugs are a major problem and will continue to be a problem until more consumers start to help get rid of them. Check your luggage after a trip, I take large garbage bags and put them in the bags and tie tight when I cruise or stay at a hotel for an extended time. I hang my clothes and don't use the drawers for any clothing. As stated I put everything in the dryer first. I also check for any signs of bed bugs.

Once again the hotel did not bring the bed bugs in the customers did. The hotel gets to pay the high price for someone bringing them in. As of right now there is no real preventive measure that is going to keep them out completely. It is up to the consumer to help with this.:rolleyes:

Well put, thanks for clarifying, and adding a pro's view.

It was 5:00 am, the person at the desk was the MOD, so I did speak to the manager. Before I checked out I spoke to the GM who claimed the Front desk guy never mentioned it, and implied that I was lying. There is more to the story to route the GM's claims that he didn't know, but it's not worth getting into as you'll still say I handled it wrong.

I went through great pains to make sure I didn't bring them home, including parking my car in the sun in. 90 degree day and running it for an hour with the heat cranked, causing the heat in the car to read at 130 degrees via a digital thermostat.

It was 5:00 am, the person at the desk was the MOD, so I did speak to the manager. Before I checked out I spoke to the GM who claimed the Front desk guy never mentioned it, and implied that I was lying. There is more to the story to route the GM's claims that he didn't know, but it's not worth getting into as you'll still say I handled it wrong.

I went through great pains to make sure I didn't bring them home, including parking my car in the sun in. 90 degree day and running it for an hour with the heat cranked, causing the heat in the car to read at 130 degrees via a digital thermostat.

Wow! :eek: