Tell me about the Grand Princess please....

carqueen1

If you have cruised on the Star, Golden, Sapphire, Crown... they are all modeled after the Grand. Suggest you read the reviews on Cruise Critic and the overall description of the Grand. Then if you have questions we might be able to respond.

We cruised on the Grand when it was brand new, l998 from Istanbul to Barcelona... it was the largest ship a float at the time. Just cruised again, doing the California Coastal... in September, found the ship in great shape. Would not hestiate to go again ont he Grand. We had a mini suite forward.

Leaving April 6 th on the Grand Princess for the California Coastal. Loved this cruise last time, but unfamiliar with this ship....:p

Read my Blog at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1842579&highlight=grand+to+alaska +blog that describes my trip with pictures to Alaska. I'm new to Princess and this was my first Princess cruise. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom:)

Grand Princess was the first of the grand-class ships. For the most part they are pretty identical so if you have been on one you will have an idea about the grand. So what is different since the last major overhaul. Skywalkers (sometimes referred to as the grocery cart handle) up over the stern has been removed due to structural problems so no skywalkers lounge. Alfredo Pizzeria and Vines (wine bar) have been added to the piazza deck.

Leaving April 6 th on the Grand Princess for the California Coastal. Loved this cruise last time, but unfamiliar with this ship....:p

We were on the Grand Oct 25 to HI for 15 days and found the ship to be in great condition. All elevators were working fine, no rumors of non-working toilets, no rumors of noro. Constant maintenance on the ship (normal for salt water and salt air).

Food consistently good - especially Sabatinis and the Crown Grill. Was not too impressed with the Crab Shack.

Happy cruising!

Did you enjoy the Calif coastal?[/QUOGrand

We were on the X Century for a wonderful pacific coastal back in September. There is nothing wrong with the Century, but we are sooooo looking forward to the Grand.

The coastal itinerary is such an easy pleasant one, with each port having many varied activities to explore. Wine, food, and shopping are all plentiful; but also many natural sites along with museums of all kinds.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone please comment on the Spa situation on Grand. I asked this question in other threads, but didn't receive any response. We are booked for 15 days Hawaii from L.A. in December and with all the days at sea, this is one of the major activities we enjoy. I read somewhere that the spa is not as nice on Grand as on Emerald, or Sapphire. Is this correct? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Just back from March 15 California Coastal on the Grand Princess. One of the best cruises I've been on. You'll love it.

Just back from March 15 California Coastal on the Grand Princess. One of the best cruises I've been on. You'll love it.

Great to know, as we are on the April 6 cruise as well!

P.S. After 20 years as an electrician in SF (local 6), my husband is now testing (has his oral today!) for the SFPD!

We sailed the Grand last Oct. Did the coastal. We enjoyed every port. It was the most relaxing cruise. We knew what we wanted to do at each port. We lived in Southern Ca so we rented a car in the ports. I loved how we could take the train from home and arrive directly at the port. No driving and not worrying about parking a car either. I would love to do it again.

Great to know, as we are on the April 6 cruise as well!

P.S. After 20 years as an electrician in SF (local 6), my husband is now testing (has his oral today!) for the SFPD!

Good luck to him! We're always in need of good people. Enjoy your cruise....

We did a California coastal on the Grand last September, had a great time. We first cruised on the Grand on its first cruise out of Istanbul in l998. So we decided to do a short cruise to check her out. We found the ship is in great shape inspite of mixed reviews on cruise critic.

We had a mini suite forward, great location. We like to walk so don't mind no mid ship stair case.

We had late dinner MDR/Traditional, found MDR was almost empty for late dining, so we enjoyed great service . We heard the MDR was packed for the first dinner.

Would cruise the Grand again.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Bring an umbrella... don't know where you are from.. California getting some rain finally, it is spring, we have had a dry winter.

Read this live blog on the Grand Princess currently on a 15-night return Hawaiian out of SFO. A lot of detailed information on the Grand.

We will be sailing on the Grand for the first time in October.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002637

Edited by cruisincdns

Guest USC Traveler
We sailed the Grand last Oct. Did the coastal. We enjoyed every port. It was the most relaxing cruise. We knew what we wanted to do at each port. We lived in Southern Ca so we rented a car in the ports. I loved how we could take the train from home and arrive directly at the port. No driving and not worrying about parking a car either. I would love to do it again.

i'm really curious how you took a train from sacramento and arrived at the port? the trains from sacramento do not cross the bay to the cruise terminal at pier 35. what exactly do you mean?

Amtrak stops either in Emeryville or Oakland depending on where your coming from. There is a Amtrak shuttle that will drop you off at Pier 39 which is right next to the cruise terminal. Your right there is no train that crosses the Bay into San Francisco.

Tom:)