Partial View

Snook

We have booked a room on the Statendam next year. I have never been on this ship but on other HAL ships, we usually get an outside room on the main deck with full view which is what we chose this time in the DD category. However, according to the room descriptions on the deck plan it says 'partial' view. I am familiar with the partial view rooms on certain other decks but not the Main deck. The room description shows a big picture window and not a porthole so I'm wondering what the reason for the partial.

Edited by Snook

I think the room we have for next year is now called a DD but by the time we get there it will be an H with a partial view. We have never been on the lower promenade but there is time for an upgrade. The area we usually get at an E level on the main deck is now is called a DD after May 17, 2014. Your room may have a better view based on the later date room labeling.

Partial view means there is something obstructing the view like the metal structures along the promenade deck if that is where the cabin is located, or maybe a life boat.

However, you do get the full window and the daylight coming in which is one reason we always like a view cabin, but not necessarily for the actual view itself.

If you look at the deck plan where the cabin is located and an exterior photo of the ship you might be able to see what can be blocking the full view from that window. These are good bargain cabins since there are lots of other full viewing opportunities on the ship itself, if it doesn't matter what you see out that window and just want the daylight only.

However, according to the room descriptions on the deck plan it says 'partial' view. I am familiar with the partial view rooms on certain other decks but not the Main deck. The room description shows a big picture window and not a porthole so I'm wondering what the reason for the partial.

If you're willing to post a cabin number I might be able to venture an educated guess as to the "partial view". But otherwise, I can't fathom what it could be.

I've spent a lot of time in the "bargain basement" ;), and haven't got a clue on this.

Thanks ''adrift'. That's a relief. I was a little concerned. I wonder what is happening before May 18th. Apparently, whatever the obstruction is now will be removed as of the 18th. The room is 662 Ruth.

Thanks ''adrift'. That's a relief. I was a little concerned. I wonder what is happening before May 18th. Apparently, whatever the obstruction is now will be removed as of the 18th. The room is 662 Ruth.

As far as I can tell, this cabin never had an obstructed view. The little symbol within the cabin shown on the deck plans indicates that this cabin is a "triple" oceanview.

Edited by adrift@sea

There's no obstruction there now. I suspect you misread the icon. Worry not; your cabin is in a handy location, yet quiet above and below. Have a great time.

Hi Ruth, I know that you have been so helpful to so many others, regarding their cabin situation, so, hopefully you can give us a few pointers regarding the cabin that we have booked on the Zaandam,it is H CAT # 3383 , which I understand is in the Lower Promenade deck,.... the questions being, window or porthole, obstructed or full view, and hopefully quiet? Thank you, :)

Hi Ruth, I know that you have been so helpful to so many others, regarding their cabin situation, so, hopefully you can give us a few pointers regarding the cabin that we have booked on the Zaandam,it is H CAT # 3383 , which I understand is in the Lower Promenade deck,.... the questions being, window or porthole, obstructed or full view, and hopefully quiet? Thank you, :)

Educated guess is that it is a full window, not a porthole. It's too close to mid-ship, and up high enough that there's no need for a porthole.

The icon says there is a partial view. If you look at the deckplans, the three cabins immediately forward are full obstructed. Those cabins have supporting structure across the promenade. If you look out your cabin window toward the left, that is what you will see; toward the right (and perhaps directly forward) you will see the sea.

I would be a little concerned about galley noises from above during the night. You are close enough to the aft end of the galley that there may not be much, but I don't know what is up there in that area.

Sorry I can't tell you more, but I hope this helps some. Perhaps others can add something of value???

It looks like there are some discrepancies between the current and future deck plans. When I look at our room on the main deck of the Prinsendam, the symbols don't show a partial view, but the description says it is. I'm certain that it is a full view cabin. Also, on the same deck plan, they don't list the C category for the main deck (on the right side of the schematic). The description on the right only shows the current assignments. I think they haven't fully updated their plans online for the new categorization.