Samana

ehamp23

I would double check your itinerary. I think Samana might have been dropped by Royal Caribbean. Some issues with the goverment I think. Not sure when the effective date is. But they did remove Samana from all the Quantum itineraries.

Edited by Zigggypup

Going on Explorer of the Seas starting on Jan 31 of 2014, looking for any suggestions for our Samana stop. Was thinking beach day or catamaran excursion offered by RCI

went to samana 2 years ago with ncl...don't know if you'd consider a private excursion,but we went on an ATV excursion through tours with terry...we have done 20 cruises and this was a top 5 excursion..includes ATV portion,lunch at local beach establishment,visiet to a local home and garden and trip to waterfall,swim included...terry is an american who did volunteer work through his church and married a local girl and has set up business trying to support local economy:eek::eek::eek:

Last Feb. on our Samana stop we did a whale watching excursion with Terry. They took us out to see the whales and then to a private beach for lunch and relaxation! It was one of the best excursions we have ever been on. We would do it again in a heartbeat. Terry's group was wonderful:)

Samana is very undeveloped. Nothing at the port so I would highly recommend having something booked.

And I, too, have heard (from Terry) that this port is being dropped. What a shame.

The whale watching is magnificent in Samana between Jan-March as the humpbacks are in the bay calving & mating. It's not to be missed if you love wildlife - and what brought me to select cruises that visited Samana during that time frame for several years. I am very sad that RCI has chosen to remove Samana from most itineraries.:(

I would double check your itinerary. I think Samana might have been dropped by Royal Caribbean. Some issues with the goverment I think. Not sure when the effective date is. But they did remove Samana from all the Quantum itineraries.

I believe that the March 11th Explorer sailing is the last that will stop in Samana, Dominican Republic for RCCL. It is still included on the itineraries that sail on or before that date in 2014.

went to samana 2 years ago with ncl...don't know if you'd consider a private excursion,but we went on an ATV excursion through tours with terry...we have done 20 cruises and this was a top 5 excursion

Do this if you know how to control ATV, otherwise, you can easily fall off the cliff and no one will know. I did the ATV with Terry and let's just say I am glad I made it back in one piece. There's no fence or barriers in most roads, so if you don't know how to control the ATV, you could have fallen over and who knows if they can find you...:eek:

We are also cruising 1/31 with our kids (3 and 5). We will be staying on the ship by the pool. We went on ncl and stopped at samana about 3 years ago. We didn't get off but those that did, did not give good reviews. This is not a place you want to get off and wonder from what I understand.

We did Tours with Terry. It is my favorite port stop of all times. I would recommend it.

I don't know about the RCI tours but from everything I have heard/read, you need to do a tour in Samana. Do not go off on your own. Make sure that you do a ship tour or private tour. It is a truely beautiful country and I would go back in a heartbeat.

I too, had a great tour With Terry in Smana. I did a long review of our cruise with pictures. Here is the link. It gives you a good idea what the tour was like.

I agree that Samana is too undeveloped to just get off the ship and wander around. But, it was like nowhere else we had visited.

Go to post # 95

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38264687&highlight=samana#post38264687

If it hasn't been cancelled and Explorer is still offering excursion to Cayo Levantado (beach day) Id do that - its absolutely beautiful! We did not make it into the town of Samana and it is a tender port. People that went tho did say it was very very poor.

We did the beach too, and you're right, it is beautiful.

Very different from the first impression of Samana.

We did find it to be very poor, and a little scary.

I too, had a great tour With Terry in Smana. I did a long review of our cruise with pictures. Here is the link. It gives you a good idea what the tour was like.

I agree that Samana is too undeveloped to just get off the ship and wander around. But, it was like nowhere else we had visited.

Go to post # 95

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38264687&highlight=samana#post38264687

Hi DOTS how you all doing?

Do you have Terrys E-Mail we are going Jan. 31 daughter would like to get in touch.

Dick & Mari

Another vote for Terry.....go to Trip Advisor and look for his tours, all the info should be there since we can't post it here. Highly recommend walk the plank zipline! any tour with Terry will be fab, great guy and super dependable. sad that the cruiselines are dropping Samana, loved it there.:(

Hi DOTS how you all doing?

Do you have Terrys E-Mail we are going Jan. 31 daughter would like to get in touch.

Dick & Mari

Another vote for Terry.....go to Trip Advisor and look for his tours, all the info should be there since we can't post it here. Highly recommend walk the plank zipline! any tour with Terry will be fab, great guy and super dependable. sad that the cruiselines are dropping Samana, loved it there.:(

Hey Dick! It is good to hear from you again. We are doing well. I wish we had a cruise as soon as you do. I see all of your Quantum bookings, too. Have fun.

This is the website for Terry--

http://www.toursamanawithterry.com/Cruise_ship_excursions_2ESB.html

PS, jakenashleysmom--I believe I can give a link to a tour if someone asks for it. . . and I have actually taken the tour myself.

Here is the CC notice: "** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!"

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I highly recommend taking a tour with Terry. Went with him twice and would use him again. The best tours we ever had.

Second that motion. We did an all day tour with Terry back in 2010 while on Enchantment.

Sorry to hear they are dropping this port.