Two things I learned on our Explorer of the Seas cruise last week

jv_nyc

Haven't seen these things mentioned, so I thought I would share:

1. In our Owner's Suite (1600), there was a PlayStation 3. We looked for the games in the CL, but didn't see them. Never got around to asking the Concierge.

2. In Labadee, the cabanas at Barefoot Beach have electrical outlets in case you'd like to charge your cameras/devices.

Happy Cruising!

1. In our Owner's Suite (1600), there was a PlayStation 3. We looked for the games in the CL, but didn't see them. Never got around to asking the Concierge.

2. In Labadee, the cabanas at Barefoot Beach have electrical outlets in case you'd like to charge your cameras/devices.

Happy Cruising!

The play station thing must be new. We sailed twice in on the Explorer in an owners suite, and they had a surround sound system and a DVD player but no play station. It Wouldn't make a difference if they did, not a big deal for my age group. :D

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

Happy Cruising!

We are in the exact same cabin on Voyager of the Seas ...would you have any photos of the suite you could post? thanks so much

Happy Cruising!

We were on the same voyage. Did you also notice the significant decline in Windjammer dining especially at lunch? Entrees were basically "slop." Though service in MDR was fabulous as usual food was mostly mediocre at best. We were on this ship two years ago where dining was considerably better and mostly excellent. It's a shame RCI is slashing dining quality while rolling out innovative new ships. I am curious. As a suite passenger what did you think of the dining quality?

We were on the same voyage. Did you also notice the significant decline in Windjammer dining especially at lunch? Entrees were basically "slop." Though service in MDR was fabulous as usual food was mostly mediocre at best. We were on this ship two years ago where dining was considerably better and mostly excellent. It's a shame RCI is slashing dining quality while rolling out innovative new ships. I am curious. As a suite passenger what did you think of the dining quality?

Huh? Why would you think a suite passenger would get different food than everyone else?

"Previous posting by FiveFamily on February 17, 2012

Venturing back to RCI from Princess

We are booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the 9 day Bermuda/Caribbean itinerary out of New Jersey. We last sailed on RCI on the Voyager in 2004 for the 9 day itinerary out of New Jersey as it existed then(St. Thomas, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Labadee and Freeport.) We switched to Princess thereafter for its 9 day out of New York primarily because Bermuda was included.) While the Caribbean Princess is not quite the Voyager/Explorer in size, we found the dining quality and service to exceed that which we had experienced on the Voyager. Now that Princess has pulled out of NY for a summer itinerary, we are going back to RCI. While I know its somewhat frowned upon on here to be overly critical of the mainstream cruise lines, I am in the apparent minority that believes that cruise ships in terms of dining and service should maintain at least hotel quality food without surcharge and excellent service. We do go to "premium dining" for at least one night when we cruise but go to the main dining room with "traditional" seating on other nights(as opposed to "anytime" options. My concern is the very apparent trend of less than favorable reviews on the Explorer, from the well known sewage smell in significant areas of the ship to the mediocrity of the dining experience(mostly food quality and selection) and apathetic service. These are not isolated reviews. Is RCI so confident in filling the berths at low prices that it can ignore its declining reputation especially on this ship? I've contacted RCI about the state of the ship and am considering canceling our reservation. No response from RCI as of yet. I am wondering if anyone else is booked on the Explorer before its 2013 drydock and is also considering canceling unless RCI takes some steps to address the concerns. Perhaps someone at RCI reads the cruise boards! "

In a previous post of yours (posted above) you pointed out that the last time you were on a RCCL ship was in 2004 while on the Voyager NOT 2 years ago on the Explorer as you point out on this thread. :confused:

"Previous posting by FiveFamily on February 17, 2012

Venturing back to RCI from Princess

We are booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the 9 day Bermuda/Caribbean itinerary out of New Jersey. We last sailed on RCI on the Voyager in 2004 for the 9 day itinerary out of New Jersey as it existed then(St. Thomas, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Labadee and Freeport.) We switched to Princess thereafter for its 9 day out of New York primarily because Bermuda was included.) While the Caribbean Princess is not quite the Voyager/Explorer in size, we found the dining quality and service to exceed that which we had experienced on the Voyager. Now that Princess has pulled out of NY for a summer itinerary, we are going back to RCI. While I know its somewhat frowned upon on here to be overly critical of the mainstream cruise lines, I am in the apparent minority that believes that cruise ships in terms of dining and service should maintain at least hotel quality food without surcharge and excellent service. We do go to "premium dining" for at least one night when we cruise but go to the main dining room with "traditional" seating on other nights(as opposed to "anytime" options. My concern is the very apparent trend of less than favorable reviews on the Explorer, from the well known sewage smell in significant areas of the ship to the mediocrity of the dining experience(mostly food quality and selection) and apathetic service. These are not isolated reviews. Is RCI so confident in filling the berths at low prices that it can ignore its declining reputation especially on this ship? I've contacted RCI about the state of the ship and am considering canceling our reservation. No response from RCI as of yet. I am wondering if anyone else is booked on the Explorer before its 2013 drydock and is also considering canceling unless RCI takes some steps to address the concerns. Perhaps someone at RCI reads the cruise boards! "

In a previous post of yours (posted above) you pointed out that the last time you were on a RCCL ship was in 2004 while on the Voyager NOT 2 years ago on the Explorer as you point out on this thread. :confused:

Thank you for that analysis but I do not believe you have uncovered even a minor inconsistency despite your attempt to shift the issue away from a criticism of the dining quality. To be completely clear, as far as RCI is concerned, , we were on The Voyager in 04 and Explorer in 2011. In 2011, dining was excellent across the board. On most recent voyage, other than those passengers shoveling food into their mouths while still in line at the Windjammer, there was much dissatisfaction as we spoke to many others during our nine day. Again, service great, dining quality way down particularly at Windjammer lunch. MDR - fabulous service but only three really excellent meals out of nine. The rest mediocre. Sorry but it's true.

Thank you for that analysis but I do not believe you have uncovered even a minor inconsistency despite your attempt to shift the issue away from a criticism of the dining quality. To be completely clear, as far as RCI is concerned, , we were on The Voyager in 04 and Explorer in 2011. In 2011, dining was excellent across the board. On most recent voyage, other than those passengers shoveling food into their mouths while still in line at the Windjammer, there was much dissatisfaction as we spoke to many others during our nine day. Again, service great, dining quality way down particularly at Windjammer lunch. MDR - fabulous service but only three really excellent meals out of nine. The rest mediocre. Sorry but it's true.

You NOT being on the Explorer in 2011 as YOU pointed out and proved in one of your own posts from 2/2012 is a major inconsistency!!! :rolleyes:

Correction on my dates: Explorer 04, Explorer, 2012, Explorer, 2013(Enchantment 2001.) Additionally, Home Lines, 86, Carnival Legend 03, Carnival Legend 05, CB 09, Celebrity Summit 2013. I had my Celebrity date and my Explorer date mixed up. I sincerely apologize for misleading you. My congratulations again to your discovery which allowed me to correct myself.

None of this changes the facts regarding dining decline 2012 to 2013 on the Explorer.

I'm on the Explorer right now. While everyone has their own preferences, the food in the Windjammer is hardly slop. To each their own.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Apparently the food is supposed to taste better if you're in a suite. Are you in a suite? :D