Souvenir ideas

Cape Cod Sally

I will be on the 2014 QM2 World Tour and would like to collect some "memories". What ideas do you have or what have you done? postcards, snow globes? Don't want to get home with a lot of "tacky" stuff! Thsnks for your thoughts! Can't wait until January 3rd!

Sally

I will be on the 2014 QM2 World Tour and would like to collect some "memories". What ideas do you have or what have you done? postcards, snow globes? Don't want to get home with a lot of "tacky" stuff! Thsnks for your thoughts! Can't wait until January 3rd! Sally
Hi Sally,

I'll give some thought to great souvenirs to take home, although I'm sure many here will come up with better ideas than me :o , however meanwhile, one thing to avoid IMHO, if they still sell them (I'll check next weekend) is the crudely made, heavy model of QM2, around 8 ins long. Not only are they very badly painted (esp around the bow), they show a large pool on deck 13 that simply doesn't exist on QM2. If they were "two for $1" they'd be over-priced.

Now, back to thinking of some suggestions of real souvenirs from around the world... :)

A huge Bon Voyage, have the very best time! :)

Edited by pepperrn

I will be on the 2014 QM2 World Tour and would like to collect some "memories". What ideas do you have or what have you done? postcards, snow globes? Don't want to get home with a lot of "tacky" stuff! Thsnks for your thoughts! Can't wait until January 3rd!

Sally

I think that forever after your return your best "memories" will be your own memories of the World Tour on QM2, not any of the things that you bought along the way. Bring along a smart phone or a camera that will allow you to voice and record your first impressions of what you are photographing. Keep a journal, doesn't matter how (hand written, blogged, emailed, …) but some permanent record is essential for future memory jogging. Menus, Daily Programmes, and just about any other printed on board minutia will be fun to revisit long afterward.

Bon voyage, Sally, from one of the myriad who envy you.

Sally

Id take photo's of each port you visit. Post cards & DVD's of your grand voyage would be nice as well.

They are tacky but I love fridge magnets. I try to get one everywhere I go.

I buy a Christmas ornament on each ship and at ports if they are actually made in that country.

I also like to collect scarves and shawls made in the countries I visit (lightweight and easy to pack). I have a beautiful silk scarf that was hand made in Australia (purchased at a street market in Townsville) and a shawl purchased in Egypt. I am hoping to pick up a few more on the world voyage.

Enjoy the QM2!

Hi Sally,

...one thing to avoid IMHO, if they still sell them (I'll check next weekend) is the crudely made, heavy model of QM2, around 8 ins long. Not only are they very badly painted (esp around the bow), they show a large pool on deck 13 that simply doesn't exist on QM2. If they were "two for $1" they'd be over-priced.

Very true! Since summer a new model of the same small and convenient size is available, but only in toy shops, yet not on board. It is made by the German company SIKU, costs 12 Euro and is much more precise. I wonder why Cunard still offers this crap...

I give away the small notepads with their very special shape, the chef's recipe book (signed by him, if on board) and.....

....some of the pillow chocolate and the soap bars :D

Id take photo's of each port you visit. Post cards & DVD's of your grand voyage would be nice as well.

This gives me a good idea, every destination visited send a Postcard to yourself.

Write anything you want and when you return home you'll have Happy memories of your cruise :)

Otherwise a Key ring or pen with some connection to the place your visiting.(Not sure if this is tacky, suppose it depends on Price :confused: )

I believe that some of the premier lines have a member of the crew dedicated to purchasing things to remind passengers of things that they have done on board and ashore. Perhaps Cunard might consider a similar post for someone, especially on a World Cruise. It saves all that thinking and spontaneity I think. :)

I believe that some of the premier lines have a member of the crew dedicated to purchasing things to remind passengers of things that they have done on board and ashore. Perhaps Cunard might consider a similar post for someone, especially on a World Cruise. It saves all that thinking and spontaneity I think. :)

Please, please, pick me. :)

In addition to the other thoughtful ideas previously mentioned...

If I were on a World Cruise, I would mail a post card home to myself from every port. I think it would be fun to see how many post cards were actually delivered once I returned home, and it would be an archival memory of my voyage (speaking as an amateur philatelist).

Edited by Salacia

Hi Sally,

I'll give some thought to great souvenirs to take home, although I'm sure many here will come up with better ideas than me :o , however meanwhile, one thing to avoid IMHO, if they still sell them (I'll check next weekend) is the crudely made, heavy model of QM2, around 8 ins long. Not only are they very badly painted (esp around the bow), they show a large pool on deck 13 that simply doesn't exist on QM2. If they were "two for $1" they'd be over-priced.

:) I bought one of them. I like it, but yes it is badly painted. They should have something better.

The QM2 hoodie is the souvenir I have gotten the most use out of. Very warm and comfortable.

I bought one of them. I like it, but yes it is badly painted. They should have something better.
Ooops! Sorry :o , I was bound to get it wrong! :) ;) . I suppose I was hoping they would have something more accurate on board the actual ship, if I'd seen it elsewhere I wouldn't have been bothered. But to "invent" a pool... :confused:

All best wishes to you :) .

In addition to the other thoughtful ideas previously mentioned...

If I were on a World Cruise, I would mail a post card home to myself from every port. I think it would be fun to see how many post cards were actually delivered once I returned home, and it would be an archival memory of my voyage (speaking as an amateur philatelist).

Hey that's a Great idea Salacia :)

Great minds think alike !

Found your link "eatsallinsects" :

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=310565first=true&__utma=1.1174926714.1378563368.1386529155.1386532035.178&__utmb=1.8.10.1386532035&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1386532035.178.177.utmcsr=cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/showthread.php&__utmv=1.|1=source=(direct)=1^2=medium=(none)=1&__utmk=70889488

And the lesson I've learnt from this is to make sure you Post the Cards yourself,

especially don.t leave it up to some dodgy Rio Shopkeepers :rolleyes:

But I still think it's a Terrific idea :)

Maybe we might hear from Cape Cod Sally on all the feed-back she's getting :confused:

Thanks, everyone! My internet access has been down for a day--maybe a condo problem? Think I will do the postcards and Maybe make a collage of them on a bulletin board when I get back.. Refrigerator magnets would also be easy to collect-and small. Had not thought of that. Miss the subzero in my home but the refrigerator in my condo "attracts" magnets. Magnets could always go on the bulletin board,too.

I agree, the friends you make are sometimes the best memory. On our first transatlantic we were seated beside a British couple who asked to be seated beside any Americans. We became the"any Americans" and have become good friends and traveled with them two years ago. Sadly last summer my husband passed away so this will be a "winter adventure" for me to avoid the dark and cold of New England. Seems a good year to take off, have sunshine and warmth and see new places----can hardly wait. Packing has started!

Sally