S.S. United States

meckanic62

The pride of the United States, the S.S. United States is lingering in Philadelphia and she needs our help. If the S.S. United States is not saved, she will probably end up getting scrapped like all former ships who lose their homes.

Visit their website and donate as little as $5.00.

• 1 year later...

Interesting bits of trivia. The SS United States actually had two names. The first is the familiar SS United States. The other is the USS United States. The USS is a naval prefix for a Navy ship. The United States was largely funded by the US Navy and was designed to quickly be converted into a troop ship that could carry as many as 15,000 troops (should the 'Cold War' get hot).

The United States still holds the record (the Blue Riband) for the fastest New York to Europe transit by a passenger ship. On her maiden voyage she averaged over 40 mph destroying the 14 year speed record held by the Queen Mary. She could also back up at almost 20 mph!! Her superstructure was largely aluminum making her very light and therefor fast.

Part of her design requirement was to meet the Naval standard of being almost completely fire proof. Very few combustibles or fabrics were used in her interior. It's said that the only wood on the entire ship were chopping blocks in the galleys and a few pianos. I sailed aboard her as a kid and send a small financial contribution every year in an effort to help keep her alive.

There is talk of turning her (once or if she's refurbished) into a hotel and tourist attraction in New York - across from the USS Intrepid.

California has the Queen Mary, Dubai (?) has the QE2 and hopefully New York will have the United States.

• 1 month later...

This is a national treasure of the United States of America and I am surprised that not more is being done by your people to make sure this project actually happens. It will be a big asset for tourists from all over the world as well as from the US.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 3 months later...

Have so far added an ash tray, shuffle board puck and color brochure with a fold out cutaway image of the ship to my "Big U" collection.

For more on efforts to save the SS United States, please check out the What Ever Happened To?????? Forum.

Besides a large and very early color print (that was actually purchased on the ship) I have a full page add from Time magazine featuring the United States. Big deal?. Normally not, but this ad features my parents and siblings. It shows us celebrating a birthday party in the first class dinning room during a crossing. That one is framed.

Bit of trivia. The United States had/has two names. One was the familiar SS United States for use in passenger service and the other was her US Navy name which was USS United States. The ship was mostly funded by US Navy which oversaw most of the ships construction. The only wood on the ship were a few pianos and the chopping blocks in the galleys as she needed to meet (as the USS United States) a Naval spec for fire proofing. Under way it was almost impossible to walk on her outside boat deck due to her speed. If you wanted to be outside you needed to go aft which was sheltered.

Besides a large and very early color print (that was actually purchased on the ship) I have a full page add from Time magazine featuring the United States. Big deal?. Normally not, but this ad features my parents and siblings. It shows us celebrating a birthday party in the first class dinning room during a crossing. That one is framed.

Bit of trivia. The United States had/has two names. One was the familiar SS United States for use in passenger service and the other was her US Navy name which was USS United States. The ship was mostly funded by US Navy which oversaw most of the ships construction. The only wood on the ship were a few pianos and the chopping blocks in the galleys as she needed to meet (as the USS United States) a Naval spec for fire proofing. Under way it was almost impossible to walk on her outside boat deck due to her speed. If you wanted to be outside you needed to go aft which was sheltered.

That truly is a very special item with personal connections. Not much is left of the first class dining room but I could imagine the way it was back in the ship's prime.

The ship remains strong , under all that rust.

I've been sending the ships preservation foundation donations for several years with the hope that this very special ship can avoid the scrap heap and be re fitted and used the same way that the Queen Mary is in CF and the QEII is in Dubai . Park her as a hotel, a convention center, a restaurant and bar destination plus a maritime museum across form the Intrepid in NYC. I bet she would be a huge draw - for both ships. Fingers crossed.

I'd venture a guess that the Intrepid has more paid visitors each year than Yankee Stadium which was highly subsidized by NY ;).

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the S.S. United States...I remember reading this thread a few weeks ago. Just reading my "hometown" newspaper on-line and found this article under their "National News" section. A deal has been made to save the S.S. United states. This is great news. Link to article attached

http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/9881247-74/ship-conservancy-states