Help! Which cruise for an island wedding?

Sycofaery

I am getting married aboard the Dream in January of 2015. We will be having a beach wedding at Smith Cove in the Cayman Islands.

A word of caution , Grand Cayman , a tender port , is perhaps the most skipped port in the Caribbean.

The slighest of winds and seas can cause this island to be passed .

Time enough for a backup plan ?

Agree with you Syco. Have a shipboard wedding in port before cruise. Guests can view ceremony only or cruise too. I think cruise line only does a few so book ASAP for a legal marriage. Some of these islands require a stay of several days prior to ceremony for a legal ceremony. Some are 3rd world, who knows about legality down the road? StThomas is USA. The wedding forum here is a wealth of info too.

Edited by zoncom

Just a general piece of advice for those who want to marry on a beach or somewhere in the Caribbean (destination wedding). Do NOT depend on a cruise ship to get you TO the wedding. Cruise ships can be diverted for any number of reasons. FLY IN and do a land vacation if you really want to be married on a certain island and a certain place on that island.

• 4 weeks later...
Only civil weddings in the courthouse are legal weddings in Mexico. Church and beach weddings are ceremonial only.

I have a marriage certificate from my beach wedding in Cozumel, I brought it to Social security office and they accepted it so I hope I am okay. This was in 2003, maybe I need to look at my certificate closely, but it is in Spanish so not sure that would help. :eek:

I have a marriage certificate from my beach wedding in Cozumel, I brought it to Social security office and they accepted it so I hope I am okay. This was in 2003, maybe I need to look at my certificate closely, but it is in Spanish so not sure that would help. :eek:

Do you know someone who speaks Spanish or teaches Spanish at HS/college in the area...they might be able to translate so you know exactly what it says.

You mention that "SOcial Security accepted it". Did they they then do a name change or did they say "thank you" and put in your file? Did you use same proof to change your name on drivers license?

Edited by UPGrandma

The SS office used it to change my name and I used it to get new D/L. After seeing this here I did some research and to be civil and legal a judge has to do ceremony in Spanish with four witnesses. I had all of that and the morning of our wedding we had to meet the officials from Cozumel on the ship when they boarded to clear the ship at port and they signed off on our paperwork. The only thing we did not have was blood test. I will bring in to my work to get a Spanish speaker to read over it.

The SS office used it to change my name and I used it to get new D/L. After seeing this here I did some research and to be civil and legal a judge has to do ceremony in Spanish with four witnesses. I had all of that and the morning of our wedding we had to meet the officials from Cozumel on the ship when they boarded to clear the ship at port and they signed off on our paperwork. The only thing we did not have was blood test. I will bring in to my work to get a Spanish speaker to read over it.

:-)

Beach weddings sound great - but you want to make sure that you can get to the particular beach - most cruises do make most scheduled ports, but if you are having a big deal done, you might be at some risk if you spend a lot on arrangements, catering, etc. Also, if it is performed by some "marrying Sam" on some island, it might not be a valid marriage - not that too many people seem to care these days - you could just pull a Pitt and Jolie and hang out together after exchanging your own vows anywhere.

If you want a beach wedding, choose Grand Cayman. There are few legal requirements- they even advertise it for cruisers- and great beaches. However, it is a tender-only port, so the most likely to be missed.

Jamaica is out for a legal wedding. Jamaica requires a 24 hour waiting period before you can get married. A non-legal (not licensed) ceremony is ok though.

Mexico requires a civil wedding. They will do it at the registry office. The wedding ceremony will be in Spanish (legally required) although you can have a translator. You will also have to pay for the documents to be translated- your passport, birth certificate, etc. to Spanish, and your marriage certificate to English (required for US registry).

All in all, I agree with the PPs- getting married then going on the cruise seems the easiest solution of all.

• 3 months later...

Hi cruisinbride2be !

Just curious what you ended up booking? I'm interested in the grand cayman wedding through carnival so I'm looking for any helpful tips and info!

Congratulations on baby and upcoming wedding!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

just this past week a bride MISSED her wedding entirely because the ship was unable to pull into the port at all.

do not assume the ship will get you there on time. if you want an island wedding you really need to plan it via flying in a few days before.

otherwise get married on board and start the honeymoon immediately

Good points ..