Need advice on Normandy beaches tour

oskidunker

Ship docks in La Havre next august 14th. We would like to stop in Giverny, have luch and do a tour of the Normandy beaches. Can find nothing on the Port boards. anyone done this? Do not want to rent a car .

Probably too far to do both Giverny and the Normandy beaches in one day and to give enough time in each local. Did you check your roll call for private tours people are arranging. Best place to start.

Ship docks in La Havre next august 14th. We would like to stop in Giverny, have luch and do a tour of the Normandy beaches. Can find nothing on the Port boards. anyone done this? Do not want to rent a car .

Probably too far to do both Giverny and the Normandy beaches in one day and to give enough time in each local. Did you check your roll call for private tours people are arranging. Best place to start.

Used Overlordtours dot com for a Normandy Tour.

They do a fantastic job.

Suggest joing your Roll Call to get a group of eight.

Used Overlordtours dot com for a Normandy Tour.

They do a fantastic job.

Suggest joing your Roll Call to get a group of eight.

Second Overlordtours-fantastic tour! It was the highlight of the cruise for me.

Second Overlordtours-fantastic tour! It was the highlight of the cruise for me.

With the bad weather this year several ships were unable to reach Le Havre. As a result, Overlord has changed their cancellation policy. Now you are still required to pay them in full if you miss the port. They will charge the person who gave their credit card number. As such, expect to pay the excursion leader in advance. If you have it, you would then file a claim against your own travel insurance.

With the bad weather this year several ships were unable to reach Le Havre. As a result, Overlord has changed their cancellation policy. Now you are still required to pay them in full if you miss the port. They will charge the person who gave their credit card number. As such, expect to pay the excursion leader in advance. If you have it, you would then file a claim against your own travel insurance.

Sorry to hear of the new policy. It makes it hard to book got 8 people and foot the bill. It was a great tour and I wish we had more time there.

Tough one. You might be able to pull it off with a car rental if your ship leaves late. Giverny is about 90 minutes south and the beaches are probably 90 minutes west. Giverny was lovely, but I can't even imagine the line ups in August. I'd visit the d-day sites and leave Giverny for another trip.

Overlord tours provided one of the best tours ever. I would recommend them.

I have the chills remembering the day spent at the Normandy beaches. You will

not regret going with them. I'm so happy that others have the same

experience. Enjoy. Alice

Overlord tours provided one of the best tours ever. I would recommend them.

I have the chills remembering the day spent at the Normandy beaches. You will

not regret going with them. I'm so happy that others have the same

experience. Enjoy. Alice

It does leave a lasting impression. I wish we could have had more time there. It was so emotional. The kids today have no idea of the heritage that was given to them.

We have done 2 Princess cruises in the last 5 years which included stops in Le Havre. Both times we missed Le Havre due to weather. Last June we spent 2 weeks in Normandy on a land tour. We had a private guide for 2 full days for the Normandy Beaches. There is no way you can see Normandy and Giverny in one day. Traffic in Giverny is terrible and there is too much to see and too many crowds to do more than Giverny in one day. This is especially true in August when most Europeans are also on vacation. In addition, the Normandy beaches can hardly be appreciated in one day - never mind trying to do more. Pick one or the other. It's a hard choice. I feel the beaches need more than a day but if you will only see them on a cruise - do it! If there is a chance you will see Normandy again, with more time, do Giverny.

In 2011, we had a beautiful day with Princess doing the Normandy beaches. The whole day was one of the best days of my life. 20 years+ in the military gave me a deeper appreciation of the sacrifices that were given for us there. We were lucky enough to have a lovely Spring day, several mile visibility and an excursion worth every penny we spent. I know you can save a few bucks with a private hire, but anything as important as Point du Hoc on a clear April day demands nothing but the best. Considering the cost of getting there, the added disappointment of a day canceled by weather and loss of the fare, is to great a risk in MHO. Book it with Princess, you will be guaranteed a Super visit and protected if bad luck intervenes. JMHO.

Edited by CharlesOK

In 2011, we had a beautiful day with Princess doing the Normandy beaches. The whole day was one of the best days of my life. 20 years+ in the military gave me a deeper appreciation of the sacrifices that were given for us there. We were lucky enough to have a lovely Spring day, several mile visibility and an excursion worth every penny we spent. I know you can save a few bucks with a private hire, but anything as important as Point du Hoc on a clear April day demands nothing but the best. Considering the cost of getting there, the added disappointment of a day canceled by weather and loss of the fare, is to great a risk in MHO. Book it with Princess, you will be guaranteed a Super visit and protected if bad luck intervenes. JMHO.

Thanks for this posting. Glad to hear that the Princess tour was so good.

Thanks so much.