Mosquitos in st. Martin

Bstein493

What happens when you subscribe to a thread? Does it come up automatically when you log on?
It shows up in "User CP" "Subscribed Threads" Any thread that you post on or subscribe to shows up here. It is an easy way to check the threads that are most important to you.

St. Martin has always had a bad mosquito problem. I have vacationed there for more than 20 years. At night, we sleep in a bed covered with netting. We use bug repellant. We still get bitten. While the problem is worse at night, there are still mosquitoes eating during the day. I would pay attention to the CDC warning. Cover up, wear no fragrance except repellant with DEET.

We have been visiting St. Maarten for more than 30 years, and we have never slept under under a mosquito net.

Never heard of any of our friends and acquaintances on the island using one.

We always sleep on the Dutch side, visit the French side beaches during the day. Perhaps that's the difference?

gary

I wonder why RCCL didn't put this in our daily paper, or announcements, or I missed it....week before Xmas....all was fine for us. We spent half the day at grand case, and hours on the beach by the port.

Edited by kcdancerkc

A friend of mine was on a Royal Caribbean (Oasis of the Seas) "Beach Sensation" excursion to St Martin (the French side) on Wed Dec 18, 2013 where he spent 4+ hours on Orient Beach and 1.5 hours in Marigot. He said he was bitten by at least one mosquito - one for sure, he said. He said the mosquitos were nearly as annoying as the endless stream of peddlers harassing his excursion group on the beach. He was bitten on his lower right leg and 72 hours later one of his travel buddies was alarmed when he saw a large disseminated rash in the area above the bite (the ankle area) which was spreading up to the right knee and around the leg. The right lower leg was swollen with "pitting edema" (where you push your thumb in and the impression remains). The left leg did not have edema or swelling. He thought it might be staph but as hours passed he saw the rash was fading away. After 48 hours the rash was mostly gone and he went to his doctor, who said the skin looked OK and the edema had disappeared. There was no fever. The other symptoms he still reports (since the rash disappeared) include heaviness in - and irritation around and behind - the eyes. Says his eyes sometimes - but not all times - feel like they are two or three times their normal weight. Worsening symptoms are reported today: very stiff ankles with ankle bones feeling like they are almost fused together. He looks like he's a wee bit drunk when he walks (but without the alcohol). There is some pain. After reading the CDC warnings, I'm taking him to his doctor tomorrow for blood tests per the CDC. The doctors here in Lexington never heard of this … until today. Apparently there is no treatment or vaccine for the Chikungunya Virus. I'll update the group if a diagnosis is made (or if a diagnosis can be made). Meantime, Royal Caribbean has been advised even though the CDC warning wasn't made at the time of the cruise excursion.

Has anyone heard about ships into st. Martin because of the mosquito borne virus that they are currently having? We leave Sunday on the silhouette and we are supposed to be in st. Martin on Wednesday

Last week we docked in Marigot on the French side of the island. On Azamara. On the promenade deck they set up a "mosquito booth" where you could spray yourself down with mosquito repellent that they provided for us. When we walked through the security area at the dock there was a warning about the mosquitoes so I would guess it's pretty serious business.

We wandered around Marigot and Philipsburg on the Dutch side and didn't see a single mosquito so I guess the repellent did its job. :D

The number of confirmed Chikungunya cases in St Martin is now around 100 and it has spread to the Dutch side and at least one other island.

The CDC warning was issued on December 13, 2013 - there were EIGHT cruise ships in port in Philipsburg St Maartin (Dutch side) on Dec 18. ALL these cruise lines knew or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that they were exposing their passengers to a Hot Zone if they were sending them to the French side (via excursions).

Here's the CDC Chikungunya virus Fact Sheet:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACT%20SHEET_CDC_General%20Public_cleared.pdf

One case has been confirmed on the Dutch side and eight cases have been confirmed in St Barthelemy:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/chikungunya-in-the-caribbean-eight-cases-confirmed-in-saint-barthelemy-42103/

The number of confirmed Chikungunya cases in St Martin is now around 100 and it has spread to the Dutch side and at least one other island.

The CDC warning was issued on December 13, 2013 - there were EIGHT cruise ships in port in Philipsburg St Maartin (Dutch side) on Dec 18. ALL these cruise lines knew or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that they were exposing their passengers to a Hot Zone if they were sending them to the French side (via excursions).

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACT%20SHEET_CDC_General%20Public_cleared.pdf

One case has been confirmed on the Dutch side and eight cases have been confirmed in St Barthelemy:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/chikungunya-in-the-caribbean-eight-cases-confirmed-in-saint-barthelemy-42103/

This instant fear over this disease is borderline stupid. Even the article you posted says Chikungunya has been at a "Epidemic" level since 2004. Comon people. Use comon sense like the CDC says and you will be fine. With as many people who go to St. Martin / St. Maarten and come back to the U.S. it could very well be here already and spreading.

Criticizing the Cruise industry for mosquito bites is about the same as blaming them for people not wearing sun screen and risking skin cancer. They should also prolly stop Alaska cruises because some idiot might wear a T-shirt and catch a cold.

Edited by cbell21219

Lets look at this logacally people.

100 confirmed cases. So lets bump that up to 500 cases total, out of a population of 80,000 I would say you chance of catching the disease on a 9 hour trip to the Island is 0.5 / 100

Considering most mosquito's are more active during dawn/dusk (Non-Cruise hours).

Around Standing water, such as lakes or ponds (Non-Cruise destinations)

And also most tourists stay near the Ocean or Gulf meaning VERY breezy and zero standing water = a place Mosquitoes do not like.

You should be much more afraid of the FLU which is just as bad if not more LETHAL then Chick.

Common Sense is you best weapon folks. Not three kinds of repellant (one will do) and not locking yourself in a interior cabin for the day.

Not too happy hearing about this, but thanks for the info!!!:D

I think it's fair to say that everyone is different and will use their own judgement on what is best for them in this case.

This instant fear over this disease is borderline stupid. Even the article you posted says Chikungunya has been at a "Epidemic" level since 2004. Comon people. Use comon sense like the CDC says and you will be fine. With as many people who go to St. Martin / St. Maarten and come back to the U.S. it could very well be here already and spreading.

Criticizing the Cruise industry for mosquito bites is about the same as blaming them for people not wearing sun screen and risking skin cancer. They should also prolly stop Alaska cruises because some idiot might wear a T-shirt and catch a cold.

Perhaps the notion that Chikungunya virus is the same as the common cold better meets the "borderline stupid" standard. When eight large cruise ships KNOWINGLY deliver perhaps tens of thousands of passengers to a Hot Zone five days after a CDC Travel Alert for that destination … somehow the term "responsibility" comes to mind. Cruise ships are loaded with people over 65. This group is especially vulnerable to the potentially debilitating nature of this virus, which is related to the equine encephalitis class of pathogenic viruses. The worst symptoms can go on for years - much unlike your Alaska "cold".

Meantime, a friend of mine had his blood drawn today. His pathogenesis reveals these symptoms after a mosquito bite near Orient Beach on Dec 18, including difficulty walking due to increasing ankle pain and stiffness and a number of eye problems. You might think the "instant fear … is stupid", but I don't he - or anyone else over 65 - wouldn't agree with you.

CDC:

A majority of people infected with chikungunya virus become symptomatic. The incubation period is typically 3–7 days (range, 2–12 days). The most common clinical findings are acute onset of fever and polyarthralgia. Joint pains are often severe and debilitating. Other symptoms may include headache, myalgia, arthritis, or rash. Persons at risk for more severe disease include neonates (aged <1 month) exposed intrapartum, older adults (e.g., ≥ 65 years), and persons with underlying medical conditions (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease).

Lets look at this logacally people.

100 confirmed cases. So lets bump that up to 500 cases total, out of a population of 80,000 I would say you chance of catching the disease on a 9 hour trip to the Island is 0.5 / 100

Wrong. If you are bitten by an infected Aeges mosquito, your chance of catching the disease on a 1 minute trip are … 100%

The information you posted has been a great benefit to many.

We are cruising to St Martin this month, and Oceania has not notified us of this problem.

No way will we get off the ship.

To hear what has actually happened to a passenger is a message that should be heard.

Everyone can act on this as they want.

I appreciate your post.

Perhaps the notion that Chikungunya virus is the same as the common cold better meets the "borderline stupid" standard. When eight large cruise ships KNOWINGLY deliver perhaps tens of thousands of passengers to a Hot Zone five days after a CDC Travel Alert for that destination … somehow the term "responsibility" comes to mind. Cruise ships are loaded with people over 65. This group is especially vulnerable to the potentially debilitating nature of this virus, which is related to the equine encephalitis class of pathogenic viruses. The worst symptoms can go on for years - much unlike your Alaska "cold".

Meantime, a friend of mine had his blood drawn today. His pathogenesis reveals these symptoms after a mosquito bite near Orient Beach on Dec 18, including difficulty walking due to increasing ankle pain and stiffness and a number of eye problems. You might think the "instant fear … is stupid", but I don't he - or anyone else over 65 - wouldn't agree with you.

CDC:

A majority of people infected with chikungunya virus become symptomatic. The incubation period is typically 3–7 days (range, 2–12 days). The most common clinical findings are acute onset of fever and polyarthralgia. Joint pains are often severe and debilitating. Other symptoms may include headache, myalgia, arthritis, or rash. Persons at risk for more severe disease include neonates (aged <1 month) exposed intrapartum, older adults (e.g., ≥ 65 years), and persons with underlying medical conditions (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease).

Since December 18th there has been much spraying or bombing or whatever you call it. Also people now know to avoid hiking to Paradise Peak right now or visit places where your chance of getting bitten are higher. By the sounds of things the island has taken this serious and that is why the cruiselines are not pulling ships out.

I have a question for those scared of visiting St. Martin right now. Are you staying on the ship in Puerto Ricco as well? I recently read that there were 7000 cases of the mosquito virus Dengue Fever there in 2013 up from 5000 in 2012.

Since December 18th there has been much spraying or bombing or whatever you call it. Also people now know to avoid hiking to Paradise Peak right now or visit places where your chance of getting bitten are higher. By the sounds of things the island has taken this serious and that is why the cruiselines are not pulling ships out.

I have a question for those scared of visiting St. Martin right now. Are you staying on the ship in Puerto Ricco as well? I recently read that there were 7000 cases of the mosquito virus Dengue Fever there in 2013 up from 5000 in 2012.

Also. The CDC recommends everyone going to St. Lucia / Barbados / and St, Kitts to get a Hepatitis A shot two to four weeks before traveling, as well as immunization against Typhoid and POLIO.

Good question. Perhaps when Chikungunya reaches Puerto Rico (if not already there), avoidance might be in order for people at risk of complications (>65 years of age or immune compromised). 400 million people are infected by Dengue each year, sometimes without obvious symptoms. There was a Dengue death in St. Martin in early December, 2013, right about the time the French health folks discovered the first Chikungunya infections there (coincidence? there are several symptoms these viruses have in common). Dengue has occurred in the United States, is endemic to Puerto Rico and tropical areas of South America and worldwide. the CDC advises: "When infected, early recognition and prompt supportive treatment can substantially lower the risk of medical complications and death." The Chikungunya virus is different: this outbreak involves a NEW virus to the Western Hemisphere that has a strong foothold in St. Martin (and likely elsewhere). It is "hot" in St Martin because the population has NOT been exposed to it before. Dengue and Chikungunya are carried by the same mosquito. The native population has not developed natural antibodies to Chikungunya virus. This has the disease control folks from France, Holland and the U.S. so concerned: from the first two cases discovered by the French on Dec 3, Chikungunya has been discovered on several other Caribbean islands in the past few days. Is this virus spreading quickly or has it been there and only recently discovered? - that is the real question. Its only host is primates and the Tiger mosquitoes spread this disease: they are most active during the day rather than dawn or dusk - they usually prefer shade, especially around trees. The CDC advises using strong anti-mosquito protections. The CDC does NOT say that such protections "prevent" the spread of this disease - they just might "reduce the risk" of being bitten by the Tiger mosquito. People over 65 years old, or the immune compromised, are at much higher risk of developing serious and potentially long-term complications from a Chikungunya infection.

I wasn't going to take the time to respond to this, bit I have this image of cruisers to St. Maarten cowering in their cabins with their balcony doors sealed.

The number of confirmed Chikungunya cases in St Martin is now around 100.

Can you provide the source for this? The CDC advisory still says 27 cases as of December 22, 2013.

A majority of people infected with chikungunya virus become symptomatic. The incubation period is typically 3–7 days (range, 2–12 days). The most common clinical findings are acute onset of fever and polyarthralgia. Joint pains are often severe and debilitating. Other symptoms may include headache, myalgia, arthritis, or rash.

Thanks, but you failed to quote all of the information:

"Most patients feel better after a few days or weeks. Some people may develop longer-term joint pain."

In summary, there is a very low chance of contracting the virus. Not everyone infected is symptomatic. Most of those that are symptomatic feel better shortly after.

Persons at risk for more severe disease include neonates (aged <1 month) exposed intrapartum, older adults (e.g., ≥ 65 years), and persons with underlying medical conditions (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease).

Thanks, but you omitted the preface:

"Complications are rare, but more common in" the groups you quoted.

In summary, while certain demographics are at a higher risk for complications severe disease is uncommon even for these groups.

Its only host is primates and the Tiger mosquitoes spread this disease: they are most active during the day rather than dawn or dusk

Besides the Aedes albopictus (Tiger mosquito) the CDC advisory says the virus is also spread by the Aedes aegypti (yellow fever mosquito). The advisory says that both exhibit "peak feeding activity at dawn and dusk".

The CDC advises using strong anti-mosquito protections.

Can you provide the source for this? The CDC travel notice still says "Watch - Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions"

IC