Mosquitos in st. Martin

Bstein493

Oh great! :( we were planning on getting off the ship at the port, but now I think we'll probably just stay on since I am pregnant...I really hope this issue gets resolved soon! :mad:

I would highly recommend you do some research on your own before you make any decision, this guy has been spewing a ton of garbage this past week. Make sure you understand what is going on in St. Martin. The only way a baby could be infected through the moth is if the disease (which is highly unlikely to be given to you) is still present in your body during the time of birth. Once your infected with the disease you body fights it off and you are then immune from it. If your close to your due date then I would not recommend getting of the ship. But if your that close to your due date you should not be on the ship in the first place. Like I said, do your own research and take everything you read on here with a HUGH grain of salt. Especially from those posting only negative things.

Edited by cbell21219

Elderly and pregnant women need to use caution:

"when intrapartum transmission occurs, it can result in complications for the baby, including neurologic disease, hemorrhagic symptoms, and myocardial disease. There are also rare reports of spontaneous abortions after maternal CHIKV infection."

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/chikungunya

I love how you quote certain aspects of the article but leave the ones that make your fear mongering ridiculous.

From 2006-2011 ( FIVE YEARS) there are only 117 cases of people getting Chick. 117 out of hundreds of THOUSANDS, ... yeah I will take my chances lol.

Also to address your quote about pregnant women. You didn't even copy the first part of the quote!

Aloow me to fill in the blanks you always seem to leave.

Pregnant women have symptoms and outcomes similar to those of other people, and most CHIKV infections that occur during pregnancy will not result in the virus being transmitted to the fetus. However, when intrapartum transmission occurs, it can result in complications for the baby, including neurologic disease, hemorrhagic symptoms, and myocardial disease. There are also rare reports of spontaneous abortions after maternal CHIKV infection.

I am literally laughing at you through the computer right now.

Edited by cbell21219

I would highly recommend you do some research on your own before you make any decision, this guy has been spewing a ton of garbage this past week. Make sure you understand what is going on in St. Martin. The only way a baby could be infected through the moth is if the disease (which is highly unlikely to be given to you) is still present in your body during the time of birth. Once your infected with the disease you body fights it off and you are then immune from it. If your close to your due date then I would not recommend getting of the ship. But if your that close to your due date you should not be on the ship in the first place. Like I said, do your own research and take everything you read on here with a HUGH grain of salt. Especially from those posting only negative things.

You do have a point :) I'll be around 18 weeks at the time our cruise is....so I'm guessing I should be okay.

It's not comforting to him.

Like most of us have said. We are sorry about your friend, but seeing as how the media has had a stranglehold on the cruise industry this past year I would think they would have this plastered all news formats if it was anything remotely close to being a huge story.

Seeing as to how there have been Tens of Thousands of cruise passengers through St. Martin since this out break was announced and the only infection I have heard is on a online forum I am not to worried about the chance of it affecting me on my upcoming trip to St. Martin on the Carnival Valor.

If I was going to be on a extended land based vacation I might be a little more worried. I will stay out of the forest and away from lakes and ponds and use common sense protection. As the CDC states " Use normal protection procedures."

Like most of us have said. We are sorry about your friend, but seeing as how the media has had a stranglehold on the cruise industry this past year I would think they would have this plastered all news formats if it was anything remotely close to being a huge story.

Seeing as to how there have been Tens of Thousands of cruise passengers through St. Martin since this out break was announced and the only infection I have heard is on a online forum I am not to worried about the chance of it affecting me on my upcoming trip to St. Martin on the Carnival Valor.

If I was going to be on a extended land based vacation I might be a little more worried. I will stay out of the forest and away from lakes and ponds and use common sense protection. As the CDC states " Use normal protection procedures."

All this is good news and I agree that the cruise industry doesn't need another "crisis". But we can't blame the media for reporting what happens. Many cruise lines appear to be acting responsibly in advising their passengers on what to do per the CDC guidelines (I hope). Feedback on this from recent cruise returning passengers would be helpful. Hopefully there won't be more infections, but hope is an article of faith.

The Tiger mosquito is an aggressive daytime-biter and usually hangs around foliage waiting for a host to pass by. This is the bug that bit my friend - he had left the beach for a shaded area surrounded by foliage (where the lunch was served). He hung out there a long time - maybe as long as an hour -talking with another gentleman about cruising. This foliage area is also where you walk to get to your excursion bus.

If I were on Orient Beach today, I would stay on the beach and never wander around foliage without A LOT of mosquito repellant on uncovered skin. The beach on the day I was there had a nice breeze. Birds were hanging still in the air kept aloft just by the onshore breeze. Mosquitos are not good enough flyers to navigate a breezy beach.

Common sense prevails as long as cruise ships advise accordingly.

• Administrators

We reported on this issue back in December, here is our news story:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5658

The cruise lines are still sailing into this port, there haven't been any changes to itineraries. Note we updated the story to include information about Carnival's ships porting into St. Martin; they will be updating their passengers about this situation.

Some of you are reporting this thread as containing erroneous information, or that some members are scaring others into not visiting this port. As outlined in our news story (we are the media right?), you should visit the CDC site and follow their instructions; travel advisories of this nature should never be taken lightly.

Along with the 150,000 ish cruiseship passengers visiting St Maarten since mid December and the crew members that get off of the ship over the Christmas and New Years Holidays the thousands of land vacationers that stay day and night need to be taken into consideration as well. As discussed earlier media outlets including CNN would be all over this story if cruise passengers were reported to have become ill with this virus. They have certainly not showed the cruising industry any mercy so we should be slightly reassured that this story is not getting much coverage at all. Yes it is wise to follow the CDC guild lines and use normal protection as always and it is essential to check with the CDC website before you travel out of the country whether it's on a cruise or not.

I ordered 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion from Amazon -- with lots of deet -- so I will have it in my suitcase. We use lots of bug spray here in SC so it won't go to waste. We have so many ships in port (7 for 23,000+ passengers) in St. Maarten on our FR cruise that we may just shop at the port area.

Edited by SherriZ366

I ordered 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion from Amazon -- with lots of deet -- so I will have it in my suitcase. We use lots of bug spray here in SC so it won't go to waste. We have so many ships in port (7 for 23,000+ passengers) in St. Maarten on our FR cruise that we may just shop at the port area.

Front St will be packed with 7 ships in but they will have it as a Pedestrian only street. There is a small museum and many restaurants and also shopping on Back St which is one street behind Front St. There is also a high end shopping mall in Marigot that is an indoor mall. A short taxi ride will get you to Marigot.

CNN would be all over this story if cruise passengers were reported to have become ill with this virus.

Jamaica Observer reports:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Increased-cases-of-Chikungunya-in-St-Martin

Where are the updates from the government of St. Martin?

As to the epidemiological statistics from St Martin, where are the official updates from the Health Ministry? Why does the St. Martin website say nothing about this viral outbreak?

One can imagine a cruise tourism-dependent country with an outbreak of a nasty virus during their high season. Especially a virus that has never been exposed to the native population here, or in the Western Hemisphere.

Dutch epidemiologist Izzy Gerstenbluth said (AMIGOE Dec 11, 2013) "there’s no reason for panic. Chikungunya (CHIKV) is a virus that causes a mild fever and joint aches."

"Mild fever and joint aches"? Dr Izzy lies. The Jamaica Observer corrects the Izzy lies: "Symptoms include a sudden high fever, severe pain in the wrists, ankles or knuckles, muscle pain, headache, nausea, and rash. Joint pain and stiffness are more common with chikungunya than with dengue."

Smart move. Stay close to port and away from vegetation (ground or trees). I didn't see much of the vegetation near the port that the mosquitoes were hiding in near Orient beach. The breeze is not the friend of the poor-flying mosquitoes. Have a good time.

I would think that cruisers are responsible for arming themselves with information on their destinations, whether its for weather, diseases, and safety and security. I certainly don't think its the cruise lines responsibility to make sure I am adequately informed.

If you are onboard right now and 5 days away from a destination that the CDC has just issued travel warnings for, you don't think the cruise lines have any responsibility to inform you of that?

Once onboard, isn't your life in their hands?

Lets look at this logacally people.

Considering most mosquito's are more active during dawn/dusk (Non-Cruise hours).

Not true. The 2 primary vectors are busy during the day, dusk and dawn.

The port of St Martin has a full schedule for this month.

If cruise ships are selling mosquito repellant onboard, can anyone advise as to the cost?

I will get my updates from the cruisecritic site and follow the CDC as well as LauraS from has suggested that we do so that we keep ourselves safe. I liked her post and do hope that she follows the St. Maarten board closely and perhaps updates a closed thread so that the news that cc wants posted gets posted. Given the lack of postings on this topic since LauraS posted has lead me to believe that most folks are quite happy to look up this information from cc and the CDC on their own. I know that I am.

I will get my updates from the cruisecritic site and follow the CDC as well as LauraS from has suggested that we do so that we keep ourselves safe. I liked her post and do hope that she follows the St. Maarten board closely and perhaps updates a closed thread so that the news that cc wants posted gets posted. Given the lack of postings on this topic since LauraS posted has lead me to believe that most folks are quite happy to look up this information from cc and the CDC on their own. I know that I am.

The CDC website regarding St. Martin was last updated today January 7, 2014 and continues to Read: Level 1- Watch- Practice Usual Precautions

Edited by Karysa

The CDC website regarding St. Martin was last updated today January 7, 2014 and continues to Read: Level 1- Watch- Practice Usual Precautions

Here's why the CDC site is questionable and raises the concern that the St. Martin Health Ministry is covering up the scope of this outbreak. Isn't it interesting that the St. Martin government has "gone silent"?

[YaleNews Dec 20, 2013] "Yale scientist: Chikungunya outbreak may become a major U.S. public health problem" concludes:

“I think the potential for it to spread through the Americas and even the United States is very real,” he added. “I would like to see a massive effort to contain the virus to this island, but the CDC [Center for Disease Control] and PAHO [Pan American Health Organization] response seems to be restricted to surveillance of cases — which, to me, means just watching it spread.”

I love how you quote certain aspects of the article but leave the ones that make your fear mongering ridiculous.

From 2006-2011 ( FIVE YEARS) there are only 117 cases of people getting Chick. 117 out of hundreds of THOUSANDS, ... yeah I will take my chances lol.

I am literally laughing at you through the computer right now.

You are posting erroneous information. The WHO reports: Between 2001 and 2011, a number of countries reported on chikungunya outbreaks.

2005-2006: More than 272 000 people were infected during an outbreak of Chikungunya in the Indian Ocean islands of Réunion and Mauritius where Ae. albopictus was the presumed vector.

2006: Outbreak in India, more than 1 500 000 cases of chikungunya were reported with Ae. aegypti implicated as the vector.

So much for "fear mongering".

Meanwhile, can any folks returning share any insights about what the government of St Martin or the cruise lines are advising their passengers?

Here is the link for all to follow - there are 122 cases in the islands as of Jan 2:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

Thanks but I read it already. Important to know that the Watch has not been changed or upgraded. The word the CDC says is Watch. Level 1 practice usual precautions.

Also the Caribbean and Pan American Health Organizations were said to be visiting the island for 5 days starting today to review the current response to the chikungunya virus according to the Daily Herald the local St. Maarten newspaper online.

Edited by Karysa

Thanks but I read it already. Important to know that the Watch has not been changed or upgraded. The word the CDC says is Watch. Level 1 practice usual precautions.

Also the Caribbean and Pan American Health Organizations were said to be visiting the island for 5 days starting today to review the current response to the chikungunya virus according to the Daily Herald the local St. Maarten newspaper online.

Karysa - you seem to know folks on the island(s). Has it dawned on any of the street sales people that they could make a bunch of cash by selling mosquito spray to disembarking cruise passengers?

Cheers!

Front St will be packed with 7 ships in but they will have it as a Pedestrian only street. There is a small museum and many restaurants and also shopping on Back St which is one street behind Front St. There is also a high end shopping mall in Marigot that is an indoor mall. A short taxi ride will get you to Marigot.
We've been in St. Maarten many times so we will not feel too bad if we are not ambitious enough to go downtown. We've been downtown many times and have been many places on the French side including Orient Beach and Marigot.

I do like the idea of Front Street being pedestrian only and the water taxis will fill quickly and go back and forth more frequently with so many people.

The most ships that have been in port in St. Maarten when we have visited has been 4 and none of these were the Oasis.

Smart move. Stay close to port and away from vegetation (ground or trees). I didn't see much of the vegetation near the port that the mosquitoes were hiding in near Orient beach. The breeze is not the friend of the poor-flying mosquitoes. Have a good time.
As I posted, we have been in St. Maarten many times and really might enjoy just poking around the shops at the port. Some of the stores are beautiful but we are usually so tired when we get back that we only breeze through them. Ballerina-Jewelers have a gorgeous store but we usually buy from the owner of the chain, James, in St. Thomas. DH is not a shopper and does not like long excursions etc. Sometimes there are luxurious yachts to see during the high season.