Machu Picchu Cruisetour

Set-to-Sail

We are booked on Golden Princess Santiago/LA March 15, 2014 and are taking the 'Machu Picchu' Explorer (pre cruise) March 9, 2014 through Princess. Hoping someone who has done this particular trip can provide advice about appropriate footwear/clothing we will need to/should be sure to take for the land portion and any thoughts on their overall opinion of the experience.

We have not visited the site in this way. We did travel to Peru independently a few years ago and spent 3 days seeing the site and the tiny town of Aguas Calintes at the base of the mountain. It was an amazing experience!

Honestly I felt sorry for those we witnessed arriving by train from Cusco and scurrying up the mountain where they could only spend 2-4 hours sightseeing. It was almost like a Chevy Chase at the Grand Canyon in Vacation kind of moment.

If your tour allows you at least an overnight stay there I would do it but would not recommend it as a day trip from Cusco or worse from Lima (or elsewhere).

Yes it is true you technically "see"the spectacular site in a few hours but you truly miss so much it would only leave me sorry I came all that way for so little time at the place I've dreamed for years of visiting only to see so little of it. This is my honest opinion.

Edited by gottagocit

We will be going on a 6 night MP Princess tour in January. This includes a flight from Lima to Cusco and back, an overnight at MP, Aguas Calientes, Ollantaytambo, the train ride, Urubamba, Chincheros and Pisac Market...not in that order but it's in there. From Lima, the group will fly to Santiago and after a tour, head to Valparaiso for a 14 day cruise around the horn. I really think it is a comprehensive land tour and not a 2-4 hour rush.

Sorry, but I can give a definitive answer on the footwear but there is another thread that someone is reporting live from MP and it may give you some insights.

Hope that helps.

I can help you with the footwear!

I didn't do it part of a cruise, but as a land trip to Peru.

I would wear sneakers, hiking shoes or any shoe with a good sole grip.

I'm guessing that since it's with a ship tour, a guide is going to be provided.

But take you time. When you first enter Machu Picchu, there is a long walk.

Also the bathrooms are near the entrance so if you are at the other end of the park, you will have a distance to get there.

Take a large bottle of water. I did this and enjoyed it during the time I was there.

Take extra chargers and cards for your photos! There was a couple there in which the hubby left the extra charger at the hotel! I used two batteries and filled up one card. You will take alot of photos.

Buy a walking stick before getting to the park. You can get one around $5. It was helpful to use. Also take a hat.

It was beyond words on Machu Picchu! Have a great time!

I also spent time in Lima and Cusco. If you have questions, just ask!

Take a large bottle of water. I did this and enjoyed it during the time I was there.

Buy a walking stick before getting to the park. You can get one around $5.

Although rarely enforced, theoretically plastic water bottles are not allowed.

Also rarely enforced, walking sticks are restricted to the elderly.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this at all. I just got off Celebrity Infinity yesterday and we did a 3-day Machu Picchu excursion with Celebrity from the Lima port visit. Maybe some could say it was rushed, but it was an amazing experience that is once-in-a-lifetime. MP and the surrounding areas are beautiful.

The one warning I would give is to be cautious about altitude sickness. Eventhough I am only in my 30s and very athletic and fit, I really struggled with this for all 3 days. But then there were old people with canes who were fine.

When visiting MP, wear sneakers or hiking shoes. Also, dress in layers. Weather can go from very chilly to warm within hours. Mosquitoes can get bad, so take repellant. And also take plenty of sun block. It was sunny for our visit and the rays are very strong.

I can't put into words how amazing this trip was. Enjoy !

Michael

We are booked on Golden Princess Santiago/LA March 15, 2014 and are taking the 'Machu Picchu' Explorer (pre cruise) March 9, 2014 through Princess. Hoping someone who has done this particular trip can provide advice about appropriate footwear/clothing we will need to/should be sure to take for the land portion and any thoughts on their overall opinion of the experience.

I was on this Princess cruisetour a few days ago and gave readouts as best as I saw them on another Machu Picchu thread on the Princess boards. I won't repeat everything I wrote but couple of items to check BEFORE you leave as I've already heard from several of several schedule conflicts that MIGHT occur.

1. Lima City Tour/Lunch - On Princess itinerary, it's listed on the last day of the cruisetour. We arrived and on the first briefing were told it was not available. Princess apparently is aware of the conflict but did not notify any of the 66 people on our cruisetour. After confronting Lima Tours (Princess' agent in Lima) about the cancellation, they agreed to give the Lima City tour on the first day of the cruisetour for anyone who was there (i.e. for anyone who arrived a day early or that morning).

2. Eat only cooked food. Stay away from tap water and iced drinks.

Good Luck and enjoy, it's been the highlight of our trip so far.

Duane

Thanks Duane for your advice. I just finished reading your posts from the Cruisetour and you answered a lot of other questions we had in mind. Sounds like a great experience and we are glad that we were able to get on this tour after having been wait listed for a while. Thanks also for the heads up about food and drink -- we had a similar experience after a China Cruisetour - 30 of our group came down with 'gastro intestinal' complaints after we boarded Sapphire Princess and we were all quarantined - missing two ports of call. Don't want that to happen on this trip!

Elizabeth

• 7 months later...

Is it at all treacherous. While we are both fit, my wife fell and broke her shoulder several years ago and is somewhat afraid of falling and being near ledges. Are the guides watching for your safety or are they scampering ahead. And lastly, can my wife wait on some parts of the walk while I trudge ahead if she chooses.

Thx for any info

Eddiep

Eddiep, the hiking at the first is hard, a switchback trail, to the overlook.

In sevral places it is quite a distance down.

The trail can be damp from rain or fog.

As someone said, the altitude can be a problem. We have

visited the area several times, and notice many people

have trouble especially when then land in Cusco, and do the town and nearby touring. Check with you doctor, or do as the locals do, drinking

coco tea or chewing coco leaves.

We first planned to visit MP 30 odd years ago. We changed our plans and have been wanting to get there ever since, finally did so last year.

I'm not about to enter the debate as to how long you should spend on site, my message is twofold:

1) Regardless of anyone's advice as to how long to spend there, go, it is an experience not to be missed.

2) Pay attention to the advice about altitude sickness. We have been at altitudes of anywhere from 8000 - 13000 ft on numerous occasions but still took some medication just in case. Turns out it wasn't necessary, however we saw several people violently ill, to the point where they were not allowed to board the aircraft in Cuzco.

PS - We ate the local food, drank lots of wine and had a helluva good time.