Do they have any special classes for Panama Canal crossings?

PunkiC

We are deliberating whether we should take our Panama Canal Crossing on Cunard or Princess. The prices are just about the same and we will get lots of OBC on both.

We do love to dance and enjoyed the dancing on the QMII when we sailed her. Do they have a similar ballroom on the Queen Victoria? It is also a plus that we can take wine aboard for consumption in our room without having to pay a corkage fee.

Of course, we love our free laundry, minibar, and internet on Princess, but could live without them. We also like having in-room internet on Princess which they don't have on Cunard.

Decisions, decisions.

I guess it is going to come down to the onboard classes and enrichment programs. We did a crossing in October on HAL and it was pretty boring for people who don't like to sleep in the library or play bridge.

By comparison we just returned from a Hawaii cruise on Princess that was so loaded with wonderful enrichment and class opportunities that we had trouble picking and choosing.

Do they have anything similar on the Panama Canal cruises. Maybe Spanish lessons or some sort of Caribbean or Mexican immersion?

Last year on our canal cruise they had many lectures and activities. They had Spanish classes. Guest lecturers on different subjects like a series on stars and on the history of the Caribbean as well as port lectures and info on the Canal and its history.

I think you will find plenty to do.

I thought the lectures we had on our canal cruise were wonderful. They brought someone on board (can't remember his name) who stayed on the ship the whole time and had a different lecture on several days. Since I knew almost nothing about the canal before our trip, it was very nice hearing all new information before going into the canal.

Did the Panama Canal on the Coral in October-great ship,wonderful crew,the most immaculate ship I have been on in the Princess fleet so far.

I found that it really paid off to read in advance about the Panama Canal-I did manage to finish the Path Between the Seas-while sitting in the Sanctuary!- and had several other great books.

The guest lecturer that we had "Dr. Dean"-a very pleasant fellow but with his thick Greek accent was not the best-hard to understand him.

They did have several wonderful programs on the stateroom TV-one of which was a fabulous narrated history featuring David McCulloch who is the award winning author of The Path Between the Seas.His program really helped me to wrap my head around the engineering aspect of the canal that is hard(if you are not an engineer)to grasp from any book. The shops also had his book as well as several other books that were very helpful. Bear in mind that Mr. McCulloch's book is around 600 pages total-but what an amazing book it is.

I personally would not waste time in the Princess theater listening to Dr. Dean's lectures as you can see them on your stateroom TV instead.

Regardless of what type of cabin you have on Princess-you will need to get up very early on Canal Day(if you are doing the partial transit)-REALLY early to go to the very far forward observation area on either Dolphin or Caribe deck-there will be a sign that appears that you cannot go through the door but you can. There is also a great viewing area on the very aft part of the ship on the Dolphin deck which gets you some great views of the lock gates once you are in one of the locks. Got some great photos of the new lock gates waiting to be installed from the aft viewing area.

Highly recommend the all day ferry boat excursion-yes it is hot and muggy but very well done and the tour guides narrated with a microphone the entire day.

I agree. The Island was the very first ship we ever sailed and is till our favorite.

Do they have Spanish lesson on all sea days? I am assuming they are very, very beginner classes. That's fine--we all need practice and it is always good to review the basics.

We are really leaning toward Princess.

We had an excellent guest lecturer on our Island cruise in March. His name is Bill Fall, who had grown up in Panama, where his father worked as an engineer, building the canal, so he really knew what he was talking about and the personal stories he told were fascinating! We have been very lucky, enjoying excellent lecturers!

We had an excellent guest lecturer on our Island cruise in March. His name is Bill Fall, who had grown up in Panama, where his father worked as an engineer, building the canal, so he really knew what he was talking about and the personal stories he told were fascinating! We have been very lucky, enjoying excellent lecturers!

He was on our cruise, too. Excellent speaker and very knowledgeable.

I agree. The Island was the very first ship we ever sailed and is till our favorite.

Do they have Spanish lesson on all sea days? I am assuming they are very, very beginner classes. That's fine--we all need practice and it is always good to review the basics.

We are really leaning toward Princess.

As far as I recall they did have Spanish classes on the sea days. And yes, they do call it "for beginners".

On our cruise we bypassed Mexico and had 5 straight sea days From LA to Costa Rica. I don't think they do that anymore, but we found it great.

Edited by AKman2495

I can only answer your question about the ballroom on the Queen Victoria. Yes, they do have one but it's like they took the one from the QM2 and tossed it in the dryer and it shrank!!! Still very elegant, but not as jaw dropping as the one on the QM2.

I can only answer your question about the ballroom on the Queen Victoria. Yes, they do have one but it's like they took the one from the QM2 and tossed it in the dryer and it shrank!!! Still very elegant, but not as jaw dropping as the one on the QM2.

That pretty much decides it for us. The dancing space in The Wheelhouse on the Coral and Island is fine with us and we really do appreciate having internet in our cabin.

Besides that it puts us 15 days closer to being "Most Traveled Passengers" when we get really old. :p

I think I will get DH "The Path Between Two Seas" for his birthday. He loves that kind of stuff. Thank you!

Lately I have been taking Spanish Language CD's with me on cruises so I can practice when I am getting ready for my day, after I listen to "The Wake Show". It will be nice to have classes so I will know who on the ship would like to practice. On on TA crossing in October there were several people on board who were native speakers who help me learn a bit more. After I get better, I just need to go live in Spain or maybe Mexico for a few months.

Edited by PunkiC

He was our lecturer on the Island in October 2012 and was great. He shared many personal photos and experiences of his father's work and growing up in the Canal Zone, as it was known then. I booked the Sanctuary for the whole cruise, including Canal Day, and it was fabulous. Great location, lounger and service.

I just returned from the Coral Princess where we went through the Panama Canal. Ken Williams was the lecturer for all the ports and he was excellent. I kept on bumping into him and he was very willing to answer questions and engage in a conversation.

Sali