Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

Taking the high road.......

Of course there is always some undesirable person walking around.

Making believe, for a few nights, we are the Vanderbuilts is great!

As unbelievable at it may sound, SOME people are actually quite happy with who they are, and prefer to "take the road less traveled." :eek: :rolleyes:

I think the trend is away from formal wear on mass market lines like Celebrity, HAL, etc. Perhaps because of the changing demographics.

REQUIRED formal wear and formal nights, are being phased out, not just on mass market lines, but higher end/premium lines as well, starting with Azamara, and continuing on to Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Oceania, and Seabourn, just as BKFlowerMound has already stated.

NO ONE is being prevented from dressing as formally as they want, or as often as they want. ;)

Edited by teecee60

As unbelievable at it may sound, SOME people are actually quite happy with who they are, and prefer to take the road less traveled. :eek: :rolleyes:

I for one wouldn't have wanted to be like the Vanderbilts even in their times.

Now if he had said dress like James Bond that might have won me over :)

As unbelievable at it may sound, SOME people are actually quite happy with who they are, and prefer to "take the road less traveled." :eek: :rolleyes:

REQUIRED formal wear and formal nights, are being phased out, not just on mass market lines, but higher end/premium lines as well, starting with Azamara, and continuing on to Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Oceania, and Seabourn, just as BKFlowerMound has already stated.

NO ONE is being prevented from dressing as formally as they want, or as often as they want. ;)

less traveled ? sad

The trend in our culture has been toward more casual dress. That is going to be reflected on cruise ships.

The Vanderbilts of today ( tech billionaires) wear t -shirts or untucked shirts.

you seem to be the most vocal yuppy on this blog? There are barefoot cruises where t-shirts and untucked shirts are ok. You completely missed the point I am making. Princess cruise line was nice until Carnval bought them and all standards went in the trash heap. You see that you are how you dress.

you seem to be the most vocal yuppy on this blog? There are barefoot cruises where t-shirts and untucked shirts are ok. You completely missed the point I am making. Princess cruise line was nice until Carnval bought them and all standards went in the trash heap. You see that you are how you dress.

Me a yuppy, LOL. I have not missed your point. You enjoy pretending to be something you are not, a Vandebilt. When I pretend I would rather pretend to be James Bond than a Vanderbilt. They were termed robber barons by many. James Bond is more cool than the Vanderbilts who were not cool and since Bond is fictional it fits with the fiction of formal evenings on cruises.....

I won't go with less than a suit on Celebrity for the formal evenings but I don't have to like it. It does not bother me or annoy me that many wear other attire.

Princess was changing before Carnival bought them. They were the first to have non traditional dining times and they had the first super ships, the Grand Class. I do think they dropped from the Celebrity level to the Royal Caribbean level but that was in the works before Carnival bought them. I think Princess is a pretty good line even though I prefer Celebrity.

Edited by Charles4515

Me a yuppy, LOL. I have not missed your point. You enjoy pretending to be something you are not, a Vandebilt. When I pretend I would rather pretend to be James Bond than a Vanderbilt. They were termed robber barons by many. James Bond is more cool than the Vanderbilts who were not cool and since Bond is fictional it fits with the fiction of formal evenings on cruises.....

I won't go with less than a suit on Celebrity for the formal evenings but I don't have to like it. It does not bother me or annoy me that many wear other attire.

Princess was changing before Carnival bought them. They were the first to have non traditional dining times and they had the first super ships, the Grand Class. I do think they dropped from the Celebrity level to the Royal Caribbean level but that was in the works before Carnival bought them. I think Princess is a pretty good line even though I prefer Celebrity.

Have a nice day - :D

No use trying to debate an "expert":rolleyes:

less traveled ? sad

WWWHHOOOSSHHHH!!!

Frosty too!

You enjoy pretending to be something you are not, a Vandebilt. When I pretend I would rather pretend to be James Bond than a Vanderbilt. James Bond is more cool than the Vanderbilts who were not cool and since Bond is fictional it fits with the fiction of formal evenings on cruises.....

Thanks for the GREAT post Charles! :)

I would love to buy you a (pretend?!:o) martini (shaken OR stirred! ;)) next cruise!

I'll be the guy wearing the monocle and stroking my "therapy" cat! :D

(Unfortunately, there is no collar on my jacket, so they wont let me in the MDR, and security ALWAYS confiscates my laser! :rolleyes:)

Edited by teecee60

I never could understand why people have such a problem with following the rules and suggestions set forth by the cruise line.

I do not wear ties. I hate wearing ties. When I go to wedding I wear a banded collar shirt.

With that said, I'm renting a tux for the next cruise for two reasons: One, less to pack. Two, my wife asked me to. It's not a hardship to get dressed up for 2 nights, plus it's nice to do something "out of the norm" for us.

Another thing I need to comment on are those who mention how much money they spend on their dresses and gowns and how expensive they are! It gets me thinking back to one cruise we took where my wife made everything she wore for dinner. (Except for the shoes and stockings of course.) One evening one of our tablemates was commenting about her dress and how expensive it was and on and on about the quality, etc. So of course, the other women start talking about their outfits and how much it cost them. They get to my wife and she says, "Mine cost $28."

The looks were hilarious. Mainly because the dress she had on was gorgeous, but they couldn't believe my wife and I were so "cheap".

By dessert she let them know she made it herself and that the fabric cost her $28. She also went on to tell them how much the fabric in their dresses probably cost.. :D Oddly enough we didn't see much of those tablemates the rest of the cruise as they switched tables.

Just because something costs you a ton of money, especially when it comes to clothing, doesn't mean it's worth that money.

I never could understand why people have such a problem with following the rules and suggestions set forth by the cruise line.

I do not wear ties. I hate wearing ties. When I go to wedding I wear a banded collar shirt.

With that said, I'm renting a tux for the next cruise for two reasons: One, less to pack. Two, my wife asked me to. It's not a hardship to get dressed up for 2 nights, plus it's nice to do something "out of the norm" for us.

Another thing I need to comment on are those who mention how much money they spend on their dresses and gowns and how expensive they are! It gets me thinking back to one cruise we took where my wife made everything she wore for dinner. (Except for the shoes and stockings of course.) One evening one of our tablemates was commenting about her dress and how expensive it was and on and on about the quality, etc. So of course, the other women start talking about their outfits and how much it cost them. They get to my wife and she says, "Mine cost $28."

The looks were hilarious. Mainly because the dress she had on was gorgeous, but they couldn't believe my wife and I were so "cheap".

By dessert she let them know she made it herself and that the fabric cost her $28. She also went on to tell them how much the fabric in their dresses probably cost.. :D Oddly enough we didn't see much of those tablemates the rest of the cruise as they switched tables.

Just because something costs you a ton of money, especially when it comes to clothing, doesn't mean it's worth that money.

So true, having money (and spending it) is not a sign of someone's value.:D

It really amazes me the amount of confusion around what is formal. What would you wear to a wedding, you would not wear jeans? Its not that difficult. I think most of it is people who do not want to dress up looking for semantics in the written guidelines to get around dressing formal.

We have cruised many times before and if decide not to bring formal wear, we avoid the MDR that night. If I dont want to dress up, I dont want to take anything away from the people who look forward to doing so. It does change the overall atmosphere if you have a tux/suit/evening gown and the table next to you are in jeans and polo shirts.

It really amazes me the amount of confusion around what is formal. What would you wear to a wedding, you would not wear jeans? Its not that difficult. I think most of it is people who do not want to dress up looking for semantics in the written guidelines to get around dressing formal.

Agreed.:D

Just off NYE cruise on Reflection and can say without a doubt the formal nights are no more. I felt so out of place in my tux it was uncomfortable for me. I even wore it on the optional formal for NYE. My guess is only 10% of the men wore them and they were my age(61) or older. Lots, and I mean lots of men just wore nice shirts and long pants on formal nights. No ties, no jackets. Forget that handing out of the jackets. Not enough to go around. After seeing the failure of dress code endorsement on Carnival, NCL, Princess and HA in the past 10 years I was hoping for at least an attempt to be formal on X but it was not. Not complaining, it is what it is and for me at least I won't be lugging the full tux outfit on my next X cruise either. Even the CD was less than full formal on formal nights.

Just off NYE cruise on Reflection and can say without a doubt the formal nights are no more. I felt so out of place in my tux it was uncomfortable for me. I even wore it on the optional formal for NYE. My guess is only 10% of the men wore them and they were my age(61) or older. Lots, and I mean lots of men just wore nice shirts and long pants on formal nights. No ties, no jackets. Forget that handing out of the jackets. Not enough to go around. After seeing the failure of dress code endorsement on Carnival, NCL, Princess and HA in the past 10 years I was hoping for at least an attempt to be formal on X but it was not. Not complaining, it is what it is and for me at least I won't be lugging the full tux outfit on my next X cruise either. Even the CD was less than full formal on formal nights.

I am surprised about the CD and yet I am not that surprised about the waning of interest. Until they change the rules, I will abide, I may even keep it going as I do enjoy dressing up for special occasions.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I was disgusted with RCCL when they allowed shorts and flip flops into main dinning.

I NEVER saw jeans on anyone on a Celebrity cruise. I someone wishes to cruise and dine in jeans, there are many budget cheap cruise lines to choose from. I for one select Celebrity because they keep the grand style of cruising alive.

Please have some taste and leave your jeans in the room or for shore trips.

NO!

I really do enjoy the give and take on these threads. I have sailed on every major line except HAL and my level of formal has gone down on each cruise. This is vacation and vacations are meant to be relaxing and fun. I eat in nice restaurants on land and see people in jeans all the time. The MDR is just a nice restaurant at sea and as long as you are clean and hopefully bathed I don't care what you wear. My last Princess cruise on the Ruby I would say that more than half the pax wore an open collar shirt with no jacket. If you like to dress up feel free it will not ruin my good time. If you like to dress down feel free my food will taste the same. But whatever you do relax, have fun and don't judge. Not everyone has your sense of style.

It really amazes me the amount of confusion around what is formal. What would you wear to a wedding, you would not wear jeans? Its not that difficult.

I've worn jeans to almost every wedding I've ever been to. Admittedly not blue jeans but jeans nonetheless. As far as I know no one has ever been offended (and believe me whenever I offend my friends or family they definitely let me know).

Whether someone does not like to dress up or not, the cruise line puts formal night in place to keep a certain atmosphere. Everyone who books a cruise knows there will be a formal night, they are given notice, its on the websites. There should be no surprise about this. I am just saying that if you choose not to participate in it find an alternative dining venue on that night and let the people who enjoy that formal atmosphere enjoy it.

I wont comment on the wearing jeans to a wedding...

Edited by brady19

Great post all true, you know the rules if you don't like them go elsewhere.

Dressing up part of the cruising traditions so many of our great traditions are going which is a great shame in MHO.

Dressing up part of the cruising traditions so many of our great traditions are going which is a great shame in MHO.

For what it's worth, we still dress semi-formal in addition to formal, in full support of cruising traditions. We select our own evenings for semi.

It is decision out of respect for tradition and other guests.

It is decision out of respect for tradition and other guests.

I certainly appreciate the respect given by you and others when they are dressed appropriately (to the dress code) for the evening, whether it be formal or not. Even in the buffet for lunch, there are some that push the boundaries.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I will say that I have indeed worn jeans to a wedding before. It was, however, a theme wedding and jeans were part of the theme. The wedding was held outdoors on a farm and the theme was to be very rustic. Only the bride and groom were "sort of dressed up".

I will say that I have indeed worn jeans to a wedding before. It was, however, a theme wedding and jeans were part of the theme. The wedding was held outdoors on a farm and the theme was to be very rustic. Only the bride and groom were "sort of dressed up".

Denim overalls, and a straw hat to dress it up?:eek: