Future Vacation Certificate - Death of owner

vegas321

We have a relative that has a future cruise certificate and has recently passed away. The certificate expires in Jan 2014. Does anyone have experience in getting a refund?

You are so close to expiration and I'll bet that the certificate is not refundable in the event of death.........the info will be there somewhere in the very fine print. But it's worth making a call.

Remember Carnival cannot give a refund to just anyone when there is an estate to be settled.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by kcwingwalker

We have a relative that has a future cruise certificate and has recently passed away. The certificate expires in Jan 2014. Does anyone have experience in getting a refund?

I'm sorry for the loss of your relative. I'd send a copy of the cruise certificate and a copy of the death certificate to Carnival and see what they will do. I wouldn't expect anything, but you never know.

The refund will go back to the card the certificate was charged on - so as long as that card will still accept the refund, you should be ok. Otherwise, with a death certificate, Carnival might allow another family member to use the certificate if desired. Since the certificates auto-refund after expiration, getting the refund shouldn't be a problem - the only issue will be whether or not the card is still active/accepting refunds. If you've already cancelled the credit card, that's where you may have an issue.

I have sent an email to Carnival to get their advice. Unfortunately, they probably deal with this on a regular basis.

There is no TA involved. All credit cards have been cancelled. I'm sure with a copy of the death certificate, they will be able to send a refund - a check should be able to be deposited into the estate account.

Edited by vegas321

I have sent an email to Carnival to get their advice. Unfortunately, they probably deal with this on a regular basis.

There is no TA involved. All credit cards have been cancelled. I'm sure with a copy of the death certificate, they will be able to send a refund - a check should be able to be deposited into the estate account.

Hw much are we talking about here?

Is it worth the bother?

The refund will go back to the card the certificate was charged on - so as long as that card will still accept the refund, you should be ok. Otherwise, with a death certificate, Carnival might allow another family member to use the certificate if desired. Since the certificates auto-refund after expiration, getting the refund shouldn't be a problem - the only issue will be whether or not the card is still active/accepting refunds. If you've already cancelled the credit card, that's where you may have an issue.

Some states have no time limit on gift cards or certificates. California is one of those.

Is it any of your business? So sorry about the passing of a relative!

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Just so you know, we are now dealing with the deaths of both my wife's mother and father.

It is indeed stressful and we have learned that the stress can be compounded by worrying about small matters. For example, putting in hours of time, making phone calls and writing letters, to get back $100 is simply not worth it. The OP needs to hear that!

I don't have to defend my comment to you, but just thought you should know the intent was to help the OP. As for your response, well.......

Edited by yogimax

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Just so you know, we are now dealing with the deaths of both my wife's mother and father.

It is indeed stressful and we have learned that the stress can be compounded by worrying about small matters. For example, putting in hours of time, making phone calls and writing letters, to get back $100 is simply not worth it. The OP needs to hear that!

I don't have to defend my comment to you, but just thought you should know the intent was to help the OP. As for your response, well.......

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but obviously if OP took the time to ask CC, it must mean something to them. You inquiring about their finances really isn't something that someone who had lost a loved on wants to deal with