2013 Christmas Cruise on Royal Princess - A Photo Review!

LittleMissMagic

11667482115_249bb56fa5_b.jpg

12.23.13 by vshingl, on Flickr

You'd think that a semester in Italy would've taught me that I'm not a big fan of carpaccio.

11667482225_7bb3f45fac_b.jpg

Maybe I should start taking notes (just when Rachel thought I couldn't embarrass her more - I'll start bringing a notepad!). The above is someone else's appetizer. Rachel's I think.

11667734593_6477e189f9_b.jpg

This was my entree. It was okay. Not really like Italy at all, though.

11668267466_86d63677b6_b.jpg

And to bring back fond Italy memories, we had Limoncello after dinner.

11667733563_d902a62a63_b.jpg

The hazelnut dessert was wonderful - my favorite all week!

11667864484_4a8f9408f1_b.jpg

Cute little italian outfits...

11667759953_069898d67d_b.jpg

I almost forgot to tell you about our wait staff! Our waitress was Angelika from the Ukraine, and she was great. She was a little socially awkward, but she was good at her job, and you could tell that she was going to really move up in the industry.

11667759643_8ceec20bd1_b.jpg

December 24, 2013 - At Sea

I think everyone on here knows that "sea day" really means "wake up painfully early and find a deck chair." Rachel and I were a little late to the game, parking our butts in pool chairs at 9:30. The chair hogs were out in full force...

11668450926_72cb3f3af5_b.jpg

12.24.13 by vshingl, on Flickr

Great ideas they have, reserving chairs with their standardized cruise-line issued towels.

11667655955_2534383336_b.jpg

At least throw in a very valuable magazine. Nothing says, "I care about this chair," like reserving it with the latest issue of a gossip magazine.

11668016844_5da1f7dce4_b.jpg

11667909483_d594c007a8_b.jpg

11668450016_c0f509f583_b.jpg

Edited by LittleMissMagic

It was windy and uncomfortable on the top deck, especially with the scattered rain storms. You should know that after the first rain, the deck attendants came around and removed all of the wet Princess towels. Being on deck 17 was so miserable that I can't believe I stayed as long as I did.

I left because I couldn't tolerate it anymore, and Mom and Rachel caught up with me soon later in the cabin. We decided to try out the deck 7 sun chairs. What I really like about the Royal Princess is that deck 7 has an uncovered sun deck. While it would be a lot cooler if it wrapped around, it's fun to be able to be in the sun on such a low deck. And the wind is much better down there, too.

11667654795_de5973507f_b.jpg

11667908813_57bea8a4e1_b.jpg

11668449336_0a2a244fcf_b.jpg

Soon after we sat down, there was an announcement from the bridge that there would be storms for the rest of the afternoon, and they suggested that those of us outside might want to take cover.

We went back to our stateroom for an afternoon nap...

11667908093_4b1ca75b3f_b.jpg

I am loving your review and the pictures. We are leaving next Sunday and are very much looking forward to it.

Congratulations on the win last night. I say this "tongue in cheek" because I am a gamecock fan. Both my kids graduated from S. Carolina. As much as we dislike Clemson (all in fun, of course), I dislike Urban Meyer more and I was rooting for Clemson. What a great game.

Looking forward to more of your review. Thank you for sharing your experiences. You have a beautiful family.

It was windy and uncomfortable on the top deck, especially with the scattered rain storms. You should know that after the first rain, the deck attendants came around and removed all of the wet Princess towels. Being on deck 17 was so miserable that I can't believe I stayed as long as I did.

Soon after we sat down, there was an announcement from the bridge that there would be storms for the rest of the afternoon, and they suggested that those of us outside might want to take cover.

We went back to our stateroom for an afternoon nap...

11667908093_4b1ca75b3f_b.jpg

Loving your review.

We're in an aft on Baja in February and I'm hoping we have your luck with no soot.

I had to laugh at the above picture - 2 nice, big, soft beds and you (or Rachel) all scrunched up on that little loveseat.

Loving your review.

We're in an aft on Baja in February and I'm hoping we have your luck with no soot.

I had to laugh at the above picture - 2 nice, big, soft beds and you (or Rachel) all scrunched up on that little loveseat.

Ha, I thought that photo was funny, too! :D

I am loving your review and the pictures. We are leaving next Sunday and are very much looking forward to it.

Congratulations on the win last night. I say this "tongue in cheek" because I am a gamecock fan. Both my kids graduated from S. Carolina. As much as we dislike Clemson (all in fun, of course), I dislike Urban Meyer more and I was rooting for Clemson. What a great game.

Looking forward to more of your review. Thank you for sharing your experiences. You have a beautiful family.

That's funny . . . I asked my DH last night who he thought the USC (no, not the one in California, the one here on the east coast) fans would be cheering for. If they had been playing someone other than Ohio State would you have been hoping for a Clemson loss? I'm guessing yes because I know our Clemson-graduate neighbors would have been cheering for any team playing against USC. :D Anyway, yes it was a good game. Way to go Tigers!

Victoria - I love your reviews, too! I see you and Rachel still have the pageant pose. (A flat arm is a fat arm--right??) Looking forward to more. You guys are such a cute family!

This evening, they had the Captain's Circle Welcome Back Party in the Princess Theater. It's very different from Royal Caribbean's Welcome Back Party where they serve horderves and champagne. We sat in the theater, and the Royal Princess Singers and Dancers did an excerpt from the show, then the Captain came to speak to us. They did draw for someone to receive Elite perks for one cruise which didn't sound that awesome to me. They also gave away two bottles of champagne... wouldn't have minded winning one of those. But the best thing was that as we exited, they gave us a certificate for a complimentary drink (up to $7.95 value) to be cashed in at any bar.

After the party, we went back to the room and finished getting ready for formal night. It was the Captain's Champagne Waterfall Party.

11667653935_41b235f903_b.jpg

11668448536_dd246f3143_b.jpg

Looking all dapper in his Christmas tie...

11668014054_5a4d2e8dbc_b.jpg

11668447536_c5f6772a9a_b.jpg

11668444476_645ea7912d_b.jpg

11667652635_0c3bb50a67_b.jpg

December 25, 2013 - St. Thomas

Merry Christmas!

We arrived that morning to St. Thomas and were back-to-back with our old friend, the Norwegian Epic!

11759912295_3d44aa9dcb_b.jpg

12.25.13 by vshingl, on Flickr

It was fun because we stayed in an aft balcony when we sailed the Epic in May, so we could see our old stateroom. We loved sailing on the Epic, and would love to sail on her again. Rachel said that the Epic is her favorite ships of all she's sailed on (mine, too). Mom has some strange love of the Grandeur of the Seas.

11760335834_b02040ac53_b.jpg

The poor Norwegian Sun had to tender into St. Thomas!

11760706306_271348f204_b.jpg

11760666556_02a422ccca_b.jpg

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Enjoying your review and photos. Who is Victoria and who is Rachel? I am looking at the Captains Gala Photo with the two of you in it. Would like to know who is who. Thanks

Rachel is the taller one who is in most of the photos, as I'm typically the photographer. :)

This evening, they had the Captain's Circle Welcome Back Party in the Princess Theater. It's very different from Royal Caribbean's Welcome Back Party where they serve horderves and champagne. We sat in the theater, and the Royal Princess Singers and Dancers did an excerpt from the show, then the Captain came to speak to us. They did draw for someone to receive Elite perks for one cruise which didn't sound that awesome to me. They also gave away two bottles of champagne... wouldn't have minded winning one of those. But the best thing was that as we exited, they gave us a certificate for a complimentary drink (up to $7.95 value) to be cashed in at any bar.

This is a fairly recent change. The Princess Platinum and Elite cruisers still get the cocktail party. The lame deal in the theater is for lowly Gold and Ruby members. I discovered this on my recent Caribbean Cruise (I was Ruby) and was somewhat miffed that although I'd been invited to a cocktail party on previous Princess cruises, suddenly I was demoted to a theater seat and no food/drink. Oh well, next cruise I'll get to attend the Platinum party. I suppose this is no different than Royal taking away perks from it's loyal cruisers. Stuff happens. I'll still cruise both lines.

This is a fairly recent change. The Princess Platinum and Elite cruisers still get the cocktail party. The lame deal in the theater is for lowly Gold and Ruby members. I discovered this on my recent Caribbean Cruise (I was Ruby) and was somewhat miffed that although I'd been invited to a cocktail party on previous Princess cruises, suddenly I was demoted to a theater seat and no food/drink. Oh well, next cruise I'll get to attend the Platinum party. I suppose this is no different than Royal taking away perks from it's loyal cruisers. Stuff happens. I'll still cruise both lines.

I stopped sailing cruise lines for their loyalty programs a long time ago! :D