Cruising with birth certificate and driver's license

DocMike

Your picture ID name needs to match your BC. If it doesn't because of marriage or divorce you need to have those papers as bridge documents.

For example your BC says Jane Smith, but your DL says Jane Jones. You need to bring along the marriage licenseor divorce papers which have both names on it. Even if you are divorced now, if the DL still says Jones (i.e.the married name), you need one of those papers.

When I got married, reservations were in my married name, but my passport was still in my maiden. Luckily I had gotten my DL updated and it had my married name. They checked my BC, DL & marriage license so they could follow the path with the name changes. It works the same in reverse for a divorce name change.

Edited by hansolosmom

Hope I'm not hijacking..but (My DD)..reservation (flight/cruise) in married name, DL in married name, passport in maiden name (which doesn't expire until 2020) will her marriage license (2012) in addition to, be enough for our May northbound Alaska (YVR-ANC) cruise. ??

When a woman marries, it's a good idea to use your maiden name as your "middle" name....that way, there is the "link".... For example, Mary Ann Smith marries John White....she becomes Mary Smith White. Saves a bunch of headaches and having to carry "bridging" documents!

A married woman's name won't "match" her BC! I've never needed my marriage lic!

When a woman marries, it's a good idea to use your maiden name as your "middle" name....that way, there is the "link".... For example, Mary Ann Smith marries John White....she becomes Mary Smith White. Saves a bunch of headaches and having to carry "bridging" documents!

Don't try to get a driver's license in some states. in NJ, you have to present /every/ bridge document, every time you renew. I have one friend who has been divorced a few times and she has to bring her BC, every marriage license, and every divorce decree to document her name progression.

She finally got a passport. That's what I'd recommend. It's the easiest way to make sure everything matches, and it's always valid ID & proof of citizenship.

I've cruised 10 times with a DL & BC, never once have I been asked for a document to bridge my maiden name with my married name~ BUT that does not mean it couldn't happen!!! I now have a passport only because I was born in a foreign country and trying to get a replacement BC would be a major headache so I just got the PP even though I don't fly due to DH not flying.

We will be getting her a passport for future cruises, I have mine. We planned and got a good deal on a quick cruise, that left no time to get passport without huge fees for expediting. like said anything is possible, I hope Im not the one they want to set the example with,,,LOL:)

Hope I'm not hijacking..but (My DD)..reservation (flight/cruise) in married name, DL in married name, passport in maiden name (which doesn't expire until 2020) will her marriage license (2012) in addition to, be enough for our May northbound Alaska (YVR-ANC) cruise. ??

She should be able to do a name change on the passport. It used to be free if you still had time left before expiration. (Not sure if that's still the case)

If not, as long as she has the marriage license which bridges the 2 names she should be ok.

She should be able to do a name change on the passport. It used to be free if you still had time left before expiration. (Not sure if that's still the case)

If not, as long as she has the marriage license which bridges the 2 names she should be ok.

Currently, if your passport was issued within the last year and the name change is due to a marriage or court order, there is no charge for it.

If your passport was issued more than a year ago, then you pay regular renewal fees.

Currently, if your passport was issued within the last year and the name change is due to a marriage or court order, there is no charge for it.

If your passport was issued more than a year ago, then you pay regular renewal fees.

Darn she missed that window of opportunity..So to avoid the regular renewal fee I guess she'll have to take her marriage license. Her passport expiration date isn't until 2020.

Thanks all.

That works for me. Passport has my maiden name as my middle name. No drivers license needed.