St Thomas Beach?

needabreakcanada

With Saphire no longer having washroom facilities which is the next best beach? Definatly would like washroom facilities, beach chair/umbrella rental and somewhere to get half decent food if needed.

We were thinking Coki but now we are concerned with it being a smaller beach than Saphire that it will be way to crowded now?

Thanks for all input.

I was at Emerald today and though it was windy, it was nice. Not crowded and there are two nice restaurant choices. It's a quieter environment than Coki so it all depends on what you're looking for. It's more a relaxing beach than Coki, but very little snorkeling. Water was not that calm because of seasonal trade winds, but I did see little kids and others enjoying the water.

Not sure how many ships.if any were at Crown Bay.

Secret Harbor, one of the beautiful East End beaches offers snorkeling, a nice beach restaurant, chair/umbrella rentals and a calm bay that's home to a condo property.

Maggie, Bolongo is a resort property with a so-so beach and a fun beach bar, Iggie's. Close to nicer beaches like Secret Harbor and Coki.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html#.UsyuDShLrHM

If snorkeling isn't a priority then Emerald Beach is the best choice, imo. It's closer to the cruise ship docks, has 2 decent restaurants, and offers a nice, relaxing beach day. The beach is large enough to accommodate hotel guests and cruisers, whereas some of the other beaches are not.

Which one is better? Looking for washroom facilities, food, chair/umbrella rental and of course great beach! Snorkeling would be nice but not totally necessary.

How long is a Cab ride to each beach?

Txs blue

As ms411 said the Best Western Emerald Resort at Lindbergh Bay is one option with the amenities you want less the snorkeling and is very convenient if docked at Crown Bay. We just prefer the East End beaches for the beach and snorkeling. We also like to stop at Paradise Point before walking back to the ship and that's another idea for you as well, search that for more info.

You'll find through a search here that Coki has a livelier vibe, and Secret Harbor is home to a condo resort and a little quieter. Both offer everything you want, Coki has several vendors while SH has a nicer beach restaurant and a dive center. Nice calm bay for toddlers too. We like Sapphire but there are currently no restrooms or rentals there soLindbergh, Smith's, SH and Coki will probably see more ppl now as a result.

For a nice relaxing beach day Lindbergh is great, taxi through town toward the airport, ms411 or someone else will know the taxi time, guessing 20 minutes with traffic through town. Since you're docked at Havensight the East End beaches are also an option, taxi east for 20 - 30 minutes, $10pp each way.

Other options include Magens Bay and Smith's Bay but for what you are looking for Lindbergh, Coki, or SH are great choices.

EDIT - Here's a map showing where the beaches are compared to Havensight -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html#.Us0zVWt5mK0

Edited by blue_water

Secret Harbor, one of the beautiful East End beaches offers snorkeling, a nice beach restaurant, chair/umbrella rentals and a calm bay that's home to a condo property.

Maggie, Bolongo is a resort property with a so-so beach and a fun beach bar, Iggie's. Close to nicer beaches like Secret Harbor and Coki.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html#.UsyuDShLrHM

Thank you Blue_Water!

That helps a lot. I will now put my investigators hat on and search SH and Coki and some of the others.

We are very late looking into excursions due to a move, so we really appreciated the help. Also wasn't expecting the issue with Sapphire that's for sure!

Sailing Feb 9 Carnival Valor.

Call me silly but how does the Atlantic side water compare to the Caribbean side? Also couldn't find Paradise Point on the map, where is it?

Thanks,

You're silly! :p

No Magens is a nice deep bay, and Coki, Smith's, Sapphire, and SH are all gorgeous beaches with nice water.

Call me silly but how does the Atlantic side water compare to the Caribbean side? Also couldn't find Paradise Point on the map, where is it?

Thanks,

Paradise POint overlooks Havensight, about 700' up FLag Hill

havensight-map-2004.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=map+of+paradise+point+st+thomas&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lKzNUq7TGcWqkAfY4YDAAw&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=860&bih=416

Edited by blue_water

1. Paradise Point is a spot on the hill across the road from the West Indian dock/Havensight. The tram is on that road.

2. The water is exactly the same on both sides of the island.;) The difference is in the wind direction.

3. Magens is deep out in the middle, but it has a lovely slow drop-off. You can be quite a way out and only waist or chest deep. It has a nice sandy entry. It also has everything you were asking for. If you are worried the food won't be up to snuff, you can stop and get take out at many restaurants or a picnic at a grocery.

4. You are correct to be concerned about the size of the beach. Magens has a long shoreline. If it is too crowded by the concessions, just walk down to the other end...

Will look into it further. I did notice on tripadvisor the beaches are all ranked there and a lot of travellers photo's. Coki looks like it could get really crowded. SH I saw a lot of boats that come in and I don't like swimming in gas filled water - is that an issue there?

Thanks again,

SH is very calm (a bit too much for our tastes) but I've never experienced that there. But we spend more time at Sapphire too so I'll let others who spend time at SH comment. Actually I would pose that particular question on the St THomas forum on tripadvisor since folks spending weeks there at a time would be the best authority.

I was at Emerald today and though it was windy, it was nice. Not crowded and there are two nice restaurant choices. It's a quieter environment than Coki so it all depends on what you're looking for. It's more a relaxing beach than Coki, but very little snorkeling. Water was not that calm because of seasonal trade winds, but I did see little kids and others enjoying the water.

Not sure how many ships.if any were at Crown Bay.

Were there loungers available for rent? How much did they cost if so? Are alcoholic drinks available o the beach?

As ms411 said the Best Western Emerald Resort at Lindbergh Bay is one option with the amenities you want less the snorkeling and is very convenient if docked at Crown Bay. We just prefer the East End beaches for the beach and snorkeling. We also like to stop at Paradise Point before walking back to the ship and that's another idea for you as well, search that for more info.

You'll find through a search here that Coki has a livelier vibe, and Secret Harbor is home to a condo resort and a little quieter. Both offer everything you want, Coki has several vendors while SH has a nicer beach restaurant and a dive center. Nice calm bay for toddlers too. We like Sapphire but there are currently no restrooms or rentals there soLindbergh, Smith's, SH and Coki will probably see more ppl now as a result.

For a nice relaxing beach day Lindbergh is great, taxi through town toward the airport, ms411 or someone else will know the taxi time, guessing 20 minutes with traffic through town. Since you're docked at Havensight the East End beaches are also an option, taxi east for 20 - 30 minutes, $10pp each way.

Other options include Magens Bay and Smith's Bay but for what you are looking for Lindbergh, Coki, or SH are great choices.

EDIT - Here's a map showing where the beaches are compared to Havensight -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html#.Us0zVWt5mK0

Hey, Blue, do you know whether Smith's Bay has chairs and washrooms? Getting a little conflicting info. Thanks

Chairs are for rent at $5 per day. They don't have a lot of them and they only rent them on the north part of the beach where the pavilions are. There are no washrooms, or running water of any type that I've seen. Only two porta-potties.

Edited by jimf41

If snorkeling isn't a priority then Emerald Beach is the best choice, imo. It's closer to the cruise ship docks, has 2 decent restaurants, and offers a nice, relaxing beach day. The beach is large enough to accommodate hotel guests and cruisers, whereas some of the other beaches are not.

We were thinking about Emerald Bay, since we don't dock until 11:00 local time. Hate to spend the time and money to taxi 5 people out to Sapphire. It will most definitely be crowded by that time. Is Emerald Bay the area that is lined with resorts? Does the taxi drop you at a resort and you just walk through the resort to the beach? Thanks!

Lindbergh (aka Emerald) makes sense since you're docked at Crown late, although Sapphire will be very quiet now as beach chairs are only available for condo guests now. But yes, you will want top lop down at the BW Emerald Resort and it will be crowded. But still a nice day! Another option is the ferry to Water Island and Honeymoon Beach.