Recent Glory cruisers-New menu reviews?

NeedBlueWater

I'm surprised were not seeing many reviews of the new menus now that they have been on the Glory for a month. Anyone recently off Glory with opinions of the new menu?

I'm sailing Liberty next month and not really looking forward to the new menus but I will surely not starve and will report back with my feelings :)

I too have been hoping for more reviews. We leave on the Glory Feb 2nd, and other then the initial complaints about SLOW/DISORGANIZED service when the new menus were rolled out, I have not seen much more. Some questions I have if anyone can offer some insight?

1- Due to all the complaints about the lack of chilled fruit soups, have any been re-introduced?

2- Have more dessert choices been added? Especially on American Feast/Elegant nights?

3- Has the service quality and speed improved since it was launched?

4- Are they still leaving a water carafe on the table, after the complaints about water puddles on the tables from "sweating"?

I too have been hoping for more reviews. We leave on the Glory Feb 2nd, and other then the initial complaints about SLOW/DISORGANIZED service when the new menus were rolled out, I have not seen much more. Some questions I have if anyone can offer some insight?

1- Due to all the complaints about the lack of chilled fruit soups, have any been re-introduced?

2- Have more dessert choices been added? Especially on American Feast/Elegant nights?

4- Are they still leaving a water carafe on the table, after the complaints about water puddles on the tables from "sweating"?

Will be interesting to see this for ourselves next month.

Sure making changes that will save waitstaff time so suspect they will get more tables to serve.

I just finished my review form the 12/8 sailing of the Glory. We were the initial sailing for the new dining. We did not experience the cold/warm food that many others reported on our sailing. We had a very different experience than most on this cruise. There were a lot of complaints, but we had a fine time. I was expecting there to be more issues as Im not the biggest Carnival fan.

You can find my review at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956469

If you haven't already stopped by my review, feel free to check it out.

We were on the Glory for the 2nd week of the new menus, Dec. 15-22, 2013. I did write a short review, which can be found here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959512

They still had the carafes on the tables on our sailing, but we kind of liked having it there--DH drinks a lot of water. We never had any problem with having food served at the correct temperature, and we had great service (all except the first night--but we were switched to a different section on the 2nd night and really lucked out with a great waiter for the rest of the week). That being said, the service was slower than it used to be, and the waiters seemed to just be working harder with the service style.

I saw one cold soup on the menu that I can remember, I think it was a chilled rhubarb. I don't like cold soups, so I didn't pay really close attention to that, but I did think there were not enough hot soups. Our waiter told us that he thought there was roasted pumpkin soup on the menu for one night, but we never saw it.

As for the desserts, there were plenty of beautiful desserts--they just didn't all taste very good, LOL. Some of my all-time favorite things in the MDR were the desserts on the old menus: Creme brulee, bitter and blanc, Grand Marnier souffle, and Baked Alaska, but they're all gone now.

Since it's been a few weeks, I'd love to hear if the surveys sent to those of us who have sailed on the Glory have caused any changes yet. It might be a little too early, but if enough people are specific enough on those surveys and enough people are complaining about the same things, they may take action. We heard that a couple of little things had already been changed just after week 1, so we can still hope.

Hope you have a great time on the Liberty. We sailed her in Dec. 2012 and liked that ship a lot.

Since it's been a few weeks, I'd love to hear if the surveys sent to those of us who have sailed on the Glory have caused any changes yet. It might be a little too early, but if enough people are specific enough on those surveys and enough people are complaining about the same things, they may take action. We heard that a couple of little things had already been changed just after week 1, so we can still hope.

Hope you have a great time on the Liberty. We sailed her in Dec. 2012 and liked that ship a lot.

I sailed on 12/8 and JUST received my dining survey this past weekend. So they are incredibly slow at looking for feedback. It was a very detailed survey asking about each of the specific appetizers, entrees, desserts, etc. They were looking for a lot of information on our experience as well as the taste, presentation, and choice of options. It will be interesting to see what changes come about! I'm not usually a Carnival cruiser so I probably won't experience their food again for some time, but I will monitor the boards to see what people have to report.

Edited by smileyperry

We were on the Glory for the 2nd week of the new menus, Dec. 15-22, 2013. I did write a short review, which can be found here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959512

They still had the carafes on the tables on our sailing, but we kind of liked having it there--DH drinks a lot of water. We never had any problem with having food served at the correct temperature, and we had great service (all except the first night--but we were switched to a different section on the 2nd night and really lucked out with a great waiter for the rest of the week). That being said, the service was slower than it used to be, and the waiters seemed to just be working harder with the service style.

I saw one cold soup on the menu that I can remember, I think it was a chilled rhubarb. I don't like cold soups, so I didn't pay really close attention to that, but I did think there were not enough hot soups. Our waiter told us that he thought there was roasted pumpkin soup on the menu for one night, but we never saw it.

As for the desserts, there were plenty of beautiful desserts--they just didn't all taste very good, LOL. Some of my all-time favorite things in the MDR were the desserts on the old menus: Creme brulee, bitter and blanc, Grand Marnier souffle, and Baked Alaska, but they're all gone now.

Desserts were never really their strong point sad to see the best souffles gone. Other food sounds very interesting

I just saw the new menus over on zydecocruiser so now I'm scared it'll go fleet wide by my cruise. Not to be horribly picky but I did not see a lot of vegetarian options, and I love the pumpkin and yam pie!

There just over all didn't seem to be as many choices either. Hopefully I shall get a chance to try some of the things that I said "next time" when we cruised last March. I was really looking forward to creme brulee as I didn't have any last cruise, and I was always curious about their tofu steak.

What?! I didn't hear about that one. What are they creating a self serve dining experience?

What?! I didn't hear about that one. What are they creating a self serve dining experience?

The carafe sits in a little holder/drip tray, and I actually thought the presentation was fine (see photo below). We didn't mind these at all. As long as an adult pours, I don't think it should cause a problem. DH drinks lots of water, and we thought it was nice to have the water readily available. That being said, our waiter still refilled our glasses from the carafe if he noticed our glasses were at least half empty and replaced the carafe if we drank it all. It was just nice to have it there in case the servers got too busy with another large party, etc.

1524648_10202271923071445_12028142_n.jpg

We just returned last night from 7 days on the Glory. This is our 15th cruise and absolutely the worst food ever. We are not complainers by nature and we don't expect 5 star food on a Carnival cruise. Let's put it this way, we came home weighing less than when we left! The MDR was slow, food was cold and had no flavor. The beef had a strange texture and the pasta was served with red greasy sauce that was absolutely gross. I could go on and on. Oh the buffet, gag me. We basically survived on oatmeal and Guy's Burgers. I'm not kidding!

Oh well, better luck next time? Let me know if you have any specific questions about certain foods.

We just returned last night from 7 days on the Glory. This is our 15th cruise and absolutely the worst food ever. We are not complainers by nature and we don't expect 5 star food on a Carnival cruise. Let's put it this way, we came home weighing less than when we left! The MDR was slow, food was cold and had no flavor. The beef had a strange texture and the pasta was served with red greasy sauce that was absolutely gross. I could go on and on. Oh the buffet, gag me. We basically survived on oatmeal and Guy's Burgers. I'm not kidding!

Oh well, better luck next time? Let me know if you have any specific questions about certain foods.

I know food is subjective but sounds like MDR service still has some of the same issues since the new menus were implemented. I guess we will see for ourselves Feb 2nd. and hopefully Carnival gets a few more kinks ironed out in the next few weeks.

Be sure to let them know. I'm hoping with enough negative feedback they will change some things.

Any items you can recommend that should be avoided at all costs?

I know food is subjective but sounds like MDR service still has some of the same issues since the new menus were implemented. I guess we will see for ourselves Feb 2nd. and hopefully Carnival gets a few more kinks ironed out in the next few weeks.

We are also cruising on the Glory Feb 2 and hoping this change is for the better

We just got off the Glory on Sunday, Feb. 12th. This was my 13th cruise, and 9th with Carnival. I personally thought the food was similar in taste/flavor as prior menus. We had ATD, but chose the same wait staff each night. Even on busy nights, our food was served timely and in most cases, the right temperature. I also really liked the new look of the dining room. It's a good thing we are all different and like different things. Way too boring if we were all alike. Go and have fun on your cruise without biased expectations from all of us. One persons trash is another's treasure.

I was on the Glory over Christmas and feel that the food was hit or miss. Often, the fish was overcooked and dry. But, the vegetarian items tended to all be fairly tasty. According to my parents, the meat was inconsistent in taste and cooking temperature. The biggest issue I had was that I would order a seafood dish and then find meat in it. Being that I don't eat meat, I was appropriately upset about this. The lobster bisque was downright inedible, but the kale salad was surprisingly tasty. The weirdest part was that multiple people at our table would order the same item and it would come out multiple ways. Not just two ways, but sometimes 4 or 5 different ways including having different ingredients, presentation, and taste. Very bizarre. Sadly, I was not thrilled with the food and would like to see it improve.

Separately, the water on the table was very convenient. There was no way that our waiters, as hard as they tried, could have kept up with the water consumption that occurred at our table. Also, a huge kudos to Mariana who worked diligently with my mom to make sure she didn't eat anything that would set off her allergies.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Glory in mid-February, seven day cruise, and I am SO upset about this menu change.

Can someone please tell me if you ever saw escargot or French onion soup on the menu?

It looks like there are so fewer choices of starters and main dishes, am I right?

Are the menus the exact same thing on all American table days? And then both American Feast nights? (IOW, are there only two different menus now on 7 day cruise?)

Does anyone know if there is a set schedule for these menus to be rolled over to all the ships at any certain time this year? Will be on the Conquest in October of this year and wondered what to expect. I love the warm chocolate melting cake as much as the next person, but really to have it on the menu every single night is a little much, I prefer more variety of choice. :D

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the Glory in mid-February, seven day cruise, and I am SO upset about this menu change.

Can someone please tell me if you ever saw escargot or French onion soup on the menu?

It looks like there are so fewer choices of starters and main dishes, am I right?

Are the menus the exact same thing on all American table days? And then both American Feast nights? (IOW, are there only two different menus now on 7 day cruise?)

Yes, both the escargot and onion soup was on the Glory last week. I don't believe it was called French onion, but it was with bread and melted cheese. These only showed up on one evening along with some other items. The menu changed significantly each night.

Shimmy