*Live blog* - Ben the Bendyman's Great GETAWAY - Maiden Voyage

kylenyc

Day 1 - Monday, January 13, 2014 at 12 Noon Local

A happy reunion

Jumping back to touring exploring the ship that afternoon... Stepping outside the Grammy Experience onto the Sunset Bar (Maltings Beer & Whiskey on Breakaway), as chance would have it, Ben ran into his favorite bartender of all... Dhruv (Bartender at Sunset)! And then Jose (Beverage Manager) stopped by making Ben smile from ear to ear. Then later on, running into Simon Murray former cruise director and now working in Miami but here to launch Getaway.

After a little reminscing and exchanging smiles, Ben headed to his cabin where he ran into this friendly crew member in the stairwell greeting guests and assisting them with locating their cabins. When he arrived in his cabin, he was surprised to find a plate of chocolate covered strawberries magically appear and waiting for him.

P1010639.jpg

Dhruv B. (Junior Bar Server)

P1010641.jpg

Jose C. (Beverage Manager)

P1010643.jpg

Renson F. (Senior Office Utility)

P1010647.jpg

P1010666.jpg

Simon Murray, Norwegian Cruise Line, Miami

Day 1 - Monday, January 13, 2014 at 1 PM Local

The Illusionarium

Next Ben directed his cameraman to make a beeline for the next uniquely Getaway attraction - The Illusionarium. He just loved the steampunk theme and the decorations adorning the entrance. Our little figurine was a big fan of magic and illusion - He being a figment of a human's overactive immature imagine, he couldn't wait to see the performance later that evening.

P1010881.jpg

The Illusionarium

P1010751.jpg

P1010754.jpg

P1010756.jpg

P1010757.jpg

P1010758.jpg

Day 1 - Monday, January 13, 2014 at 7 PM Local

The Illusionarium

Skipping to the evening of the performance, Ben didn't know what to expect as he entered the Illusionarium. He walked around wide-eyed enjoying the theme decoration adorning the stage as well as decorative pieces on the tables.

The show was wonderful, very entertaining, and had him and his butler in sidespliting laughter to tears at points. This was a dinner theater and he was served surf and turf (salad with very tasty proscuitto, fried shrimp and half filet, and a lovely dessert of flan, chocolate cake). Despite best efforts not to, his famished servant finished every bite.

Ben had reserved his ticket on NCL.com and there was only one price which turned out to be premium seats ($40). Standard seating was offered at ($30) with a discount of 20% for the first show. So he got to be seated at a table nearest to the stage where he would bob and weave, and squint, trying to figure out how the magic tricks and illusions were done.

Photography was not permitted during the performance so Ben's cameraman snapped what he could.

P1010784.jpg

P1010783.jpg

P1010788.jpg

P1010789.jpg

P1010791.jpg

P1010793.jpg

Without further adieu...

Day 1, Monday, January 13, 2014 at 11 AM Local

The New Norwegian Getaway - Maiden voyage, January 13, 2014

1-Day Escape from Rotterdam, Netherlands to Southampton, United Kingdom

Ben took a taxi to the Maritime Hotel before crossing the Erasmusbrug across from the Rotterdam Cruise Terminal. He surprised when he became so excited to see the Getaway loom large into view. He was also elated not to have mistaken her for the M/S Lebo... and instead loved the hull art and the artist's tasteful and subdued placement of his signature.

P1010406.jpg

Docked at the Cruise Terminal Rotterdam, Netherlands

P1010409.jpg

P1010434.jpg

P1010435.jpg

P1010441.jpg

P1010446.jpg

I'm sorry, but the hull art for Getaway blows away Breakaway's.

I'm going to readily admit that I'm extremely jealous of Ben & Kyle right now, as I'd enjoy being onboard to experience some of what is already being described.

Gonna have to do it 'virtually', which isn't nearly as much fun, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks, again, and ENJOY your experience!!

Hello Kyle, I have been on both the Epic and Breakwaay, like you the Breakaway is local (I am from NJ) while of course theGetaway would be a flight.

Since I am going in October on either the Breakaway or Getaway again, what things on the Getaway would make it worth flying to vs going again locally in NYC.

It seems (as I am heavily into the music/entertainment) the Grammy Experience/Legally Blonde/and lunch show, would be the 3 main differences for me vs Breakaway (could do without Rock of Ages)

I think I saw you were scheduled for the Breakaway in Sep again- was there anything that made you think you would switch to the Getaway instead?

For me its just a question of super convinence going to NYC (not taking Friday off or even thursday to fly), etc..

Hello Kyle, I have been on both the Epic and Breakwaay, like you the Breakaway is local (I am from NJ) while of course theGetaway would be a flight.

Since I am going in October on either the Breakaway or Getaway again, what things on the Getaway would make it worth flying to vs going again locally in NYC.

It seems (as I am heavily into the music/entertainment) the Grammy Experience/Legally Blonde/and lunch show, would be the 3 main differences for me vs Breakaway (could do without Rock of Ages)

I think I saw you were scheduled for the Breakaway in Sep again- was there anything that made you think you would switch to the Getaway instead?

For me its just a question of super convinence going to NYC (not taking Friday off or even thursday to fly), etc..

Hi Howard!

Just checking in from Dublin, Ireland where I'm about to look for a cafe... hopefully one with wifi and an electrical outlet. Just wanted to answer your question before I go...

I booked Breakaway for September because I'm bringing friends. It's convenient (no flying) and they've never experienced a ship like Breakaway so it will be an all new experience for them. I had to make a good reason to book Getaway and fly across the pond just to sail her. So I wrapped the trip between a land Vacation to Amsterdam, Paris, and Dublin. The Getaway alone was so worth it. The main reasons to book it over the Breakaway (in no particular order because they are all great):

...Being on one of the newest ships at sea, the Miami themed decor and venues, and even menus both in the included dining and even in the specialty restaurant Ocean Blue! There are some yummy new dishes in the MDRs and Ocean Blue on Getaway. YUMMY!

... The Illusionarium - If you like a show featuring magic, illusion, steampunk theme and special effects, Illusionarium is it - Entertaining and fun. Cirque Dreams is certainly entertaining for its music and acrobatics but Illusionarium is very different, new, and fun.

...Legally Blonde - High energy, very talented performers, excellent acting and choreography. It was a great show. Just loved it.

...The Grammy Experience & Nestor Torres if you are into a talented skilled musician and band and love jazz. This isn't your typically cool/smooth jazz. He really amazes and plays a full range of jazz pieces from smooth to high energy.

... The Sports Complex - The ropes course, walk the plank, and mini golf all decorated for Miami and the Caribbean. Very cool (pictures forthcoming)

... NCL's best assembled crew in the fleet

... Miami, Florida, and the Everglades - Be sure to visit the Everglades. Just don't stumble into or get bitten by gators (seriously) :eek:

... Groove International - Had the pleasure of listening to this band play caribbean tunes on the Star in 2012. They are great and get people on the dance floor.

... Miami-themed Burn the Floor - Although I didn't see it on Getaway... I heard it's wonderful with all new numbers and dance routines to match the Miami theme. If it's anything like the show on Breakaway, then it's not to be missed.

I crammed all this in just two daysI And there must be more to see and do.

Edited by kylenyc

Ben returned to New York on Sunday with his jet lagged typist so he's been letting his companion sleep early to reset his human bio clock. He thinks he's had enough now so he's poking his bloggist and dictating again, posting more of the wonderful differences in the Getaway... He's posting highlights of what's unique first so jumping around a bit.

Day 2 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 8 PM Local

Ocean Blue

Ben's human needed sustenance and couldn't wait return to this restaurant... To his delight, he learned the menu had some new dishes introduced specifically for Getaway. He had some some old favorites like the steak tartar, dover sole, and apple crisp with gelato (deeeeeeeelish). He also tried a bit of his friend Yemi's dish - A lobster risotto introduced new for Getaway. He also had another first course - A delicious mussels dish.

He had tried a bite of Val's dover sole back in April and had been dreaming about it ever since. After Yemi let him try her lobster risotto, he'll be dreaming of it forever because who knows when he'll get to visit Miami and the Getaway again :sadface:

After dinner, he ran into wonder executive chef, maitre d, and hostess of Ocean Blue on the way out and thanked them for the lovely and memorable experience.

Ed: The foodie pictures are dark because we had a window seat in the back of the restaurant with very subdued lighting.

P1010938xc.jpg

Ben's clones run off to make a new friend Erika Suarez (Executive Chef) and meet old friends Anna Maria Malata (Asst Maitre D), and Ariana Diaz (Hostess)

P1010923.jpg

Soft buttery bread missing two slices ... Couldn't resist the carbs but oh so good (sigh).

P1010926.jpg

Steak tartar... Wonderful. Had it on Breakaway and just had to have it again.

P1010924.jpg

A mussels dish, delicious. Forgot the name. Sorry forgot to take pictures of the new menu - Too distracted by the food.

P1010927.jpg

Zakarian's signature dover sole, a side of an amazing fragrant rice, steak tartar, all amazing.

P1010934.jpg

An apple crisp with gelato missing a slice of cheddar because the restaurant hasn't received its supply yet. Gelato was delicious and the apple crisp a little heavy on the spice ?cinnamon? for my taste.

Edited by kylenyc

Day 2 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 10 PM Local

Legally Blonde

10 PM Legally Blonde was AMAZING. It was a top notch performance, high energy, great music, choreography and acting, and lots of fun. Ben didn't want it to end even though he's seen the movie. Photography wasn't allowed during the performance so sorry no pictures of the cast. The new Getaway stage is very pretty though :D

P1010941.jpg

P1010943x.jpg

Day 2 - Tuesday morning January 14, 2014

Redecorated Sports Complex - Aaaaargh Me Hearties!

Woke up early this morning to have breakfast and then take pictures around the ship while most folks disembarked in Southampton. The sports complex (rock wall, ropes course, walk the plank, zip slide, and miniature golf) has been redecorated with a new Caribbean/pirate theme for the Getaway and Miami. Totally awesome. Just love it! Although Ben's a little creeped out by the skeletons.

P1010843.jpg

Ropes course, zip slide, and walk the plank

P1010841.jpg

P1010833.jpg

Miniature pirate golf

P1010835.jpg

Miniature pirate golf

P1010836.jpg

Ben's no Jack Sparrow.

Edited by kylenyc

Day 2 - Tuesday morning January 14, 2014

Sports Complex - Water Slides and Pools

Mist rising from the pools while docked in the cruise terminal, Southampton UK.

P1010855.jpg

P1010848.jpg

Southampton Cruise Terminal

P1010858.jpg

Gianormous water slides

P1010860.jpg

P1010863.jpg

P1010868.jpg

Kids pool

Thanks smileyperry, debnjoe1438, dalgirl, kdiamond55, jchris1230, DGP1111, cruiseclues! It's been fun chronicling Ben :D

Enjoying your posts and pics as ever! Wondered where you had got to when you went AWOL!

Really wanted to be on this sailing but not to be - really want to taste that new ship feel one day! :)

Thanks. Yes, unfortunately the 25 cent pay per minute Internet was good for everyone except crazy midnight bloggers :D Hope you do the maiden voyages... maybe Escape or Bliss! I'd be on every one if I lived in the UK!

Looks like a beautiful ship! Thanks for all the great pictures and commentary:D

Is the adult pool on Getaway bigger than the one on Breakaway?

I didn't take notice but being that Getaway is the sister ship to Breakaway, structurally I'd guess they are identical which includes layout of the decks and cabins, the size of the pools, etc. There's much in common but also much different in terms of decoration, entertainment, amenities, etc. with enough differences between Getaway and Breakaway to make them both winners each in their own right.

Edited by kylenyc

Day 1 - Monday, January 13, 2014

Norwegian Getaway Maiden Voyage, Rotterdam, Netherlands

Jumping back to Day 1, after running into a few friends soon after boarding, Ben would run into many more today including Sean (Hotel Director), Rashida (Secretary to the Hotel Director), Errol (Assistant Hotel Director), and Julie (Cruise Director) who Ben first met on the Breakaway's maiden voyage back in April. The best of Norwegian's fleet and Ben's favorite crew members were on board the Getaway - The A Team.

One of the people that Ben missed catching back in April was a busy Andrew Stuart (Executive Vice President of Passenger Services) who ducked into a secret "bat tunnel" when Ben surprised him in the hallway. He must have been wondering who was this strange yellow figurine and his creepy human photographer. On this voyage, Ben was lucky enough to run into him in the hall again and this time he was prepared with a picture of Ben with Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian's CEO. That was enough to persuade Andy to pose for a picture... How could he resist! Every day he would also run into the lovely Rosalie (Waiter in O'Sheehans and also responsible for the tending to the Studio Lounge). That evening, he also met Francis Riley (Vice President and General Manager) who couldn't resist posing with our thrilled Ben.

Ben was so happy to see his old friends and new, and everyone was incredibly warm, friendly, and gracious toward our little Ben and his documentarian.

In order of appearance...

P1010730.jpg

Andrew Stuart, Executive Vice President - Unable to escape Ben and his personal paparazzi this time. Yay!

P1010737.jpg

Rosalie (Waiter, O'Sheehan's)

P1010746.jpg

Sean (Hotel Director) and Rashida (Hotel Director's Secretary). So happy to see them again. Sorry forget the name of friendly chap in the middle.

P1010767xc.jpg

Errol (Assistant Hotel Director)

P1010773.jpg

Julie (Cruise Director)

P1010802.jpg

Francis Riley (Vice President and General Manager) - Bothered by Ben while trying to peacefully enjoy a drink at the Sunset Bar.

Edited by kylenyc

Day 2 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Norwegian Getaway Maiden Voyage, Southampton, UK

Sunset Bar, Tropicana Room, Artwork

Exploring the beautiful venues... The Sunset Bar decorated with an Ernest Hemingway/Key West theme, The Tropicana Room (main dining room), and artwork from Lebo and others throughout the ship.

P1010812.jpg

The Sunset Bar

P1010809.jpg

P1010807.jpg

P1010921.jpg

P1010875.jpg

Painting by Lebo

P1010879.jpg

Miscellaneous wall art - Artist unknown.

Day 2 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Norwegian Getaway Maiden Voyage, Southampton, UK

Sunset Bar, Tropicana Room, Artwork (continued)

P1010817.jpg

The Sunset Bar

P1010819.jpg

P1010823.jpg

P1010831.jpg

P1010826.jpg

Painting by Lebo

P1010828.jpg

Miscellaneous wall art - Artist unknown.