Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Thank you I-Cruiser for all of the great information you have provided on this thread. You have inspired us to rent a car and take the Path of the Trolls loop. I have a reservation with Budget. I understand that they are at or very near to a gas station. My question is - when we return the car and need to fill up with gas, what form of payment do they accept? American credit cards? We are not planning on obtaining any local currency. Also, if the gas station is self service, are we going to be able to figure out how to use the gas pump? Thank you in advance for your response and again for all of the great info. on this thread.

We will be doing the same. But are you doing the Troll road out of Gieranger or Alesund ?

Good morning, Lars,

Do you know anything about the Flam Railway? Are the seats reserved? Do you have to switch sides of the train when you get to Myrdal for the ride back? (In Alaska, you switch sides when you get to the top of the White Pass so everyone gets to sit on the cliff side!!).

Is it better to be on one side or the other going up, or coming back?

We are sailing next Monday and so far the long range weather forecast is looking not bad!! We are excited!

Thanks,

Dot

Edited by auntdot

Good morning, Lars,

Do you know anything about the Flam Railway? Are the seats reserved? Do you have to switch sides of the train when you get to Myrdal for the ride back? (In Alaska, you switch sides when you get to the top of the White Pass so everyone gets to sit on the cliff side!!).

Is it better to be on one side or the other going up, or coming back?

We are sailing next Monday and so far the long range weather forecast is looking not bad!! We are excited!

Thanks,

Dot

Hi Dot - to my knowledge the railway has no assigned seating. This, of course, means a mad dash and lots of elbow knocking to secure the best seats.:D

I hope someone else can answer your other questions.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Lars:

I wanted to again thank you for all the helpful information you have provided in planning our Norwegian Cruise. We are really excited about traveling to your beautiful country and will be flying out Thursday.

One final question, as we may have some SBC to burn, what would be your choice given 1)The Birksdalen Glacier; 2) Cruise on Lake Olden or 3)Skei, Utvik, Fjareland, and Boeyabree Glacier?

Thanks so much,

Glenda

Hi Lars:

I wanted to again thank you for all the helpful information you have provided in planning our Norwegian Cruise. We are really excited about traveling to your beautiful country and will be flying out Thursday.

One final question, as we may have some SBC to burn, what would be your choice given 1)The Birksdalen Glacier; 2) Cruise on Lake Olden or 3)Skei, Utvik, Fjareland, and Boeyabree Glacier?

Thanks so much,

Glenda

Hi Glenda - thank you so much for you kind words.

Do you have possibility to do 1 and 2?

My favorite is Lake Olden. We were there yesterday on a day trip. The weather was stunning and so also the lake. Picture perfect.

I am sure you all will love the cruise on the lake.

Save travels.

Lars:)

I-Cruiser: We are going to be on a RCL cruise to Norway next May and was wondering if you can recommend sights in Stavanger,Bergen, Geiranger and Molde that we can take that won't require a lot of walking especially up steps and steep hills. Due to our health conditions, we are unable to do a lot of walking. Should we cancel this cruise? Thanks for your help. Iris

I-Cruiser: We are going to be on a RCL cruise to Norway next May and was wondering if you can recommend sights in Stavanger,Bergen, Geiranger and Molde that we can take that won't require a lot of walking especially up steps and steep hills. Due to our health conditions, we are unable to do a lot of walking. Should we cancel this cruise? Thanks for your help. Iris

You do not need to cancel the cruise. There are hop on/off buses in all the places you visit which is a good alternative and you get to see the main sights.

Remember all these ports have uneven surfaces so if you can handle that and maybe walk for 20 minutes, take a break, then walk a bit more you are in good shape to tackle the towns.

Also, you could sign up for tours which do not require lots of walking.

How does this sound to you?

Lars :)

Thanks. I guess I have to do more checking on tours that don't require too much walking. Do you have any recommendations.

Do you have any idea how much a taxi cost to go from airport to Hotel Bethel and from Hotel Bethel to pier?

Any other option to get to Hotel Bethel from airport without a lot of walking steps, etc.

How is the weather in May to end of May?

Thanks. Iris

Thanks. I guess I have to do more checking on tours that don't require too much walking. Do you have any recommendations.

Do you have any idea how much a taxi cost to go from airport to Hotel Bethel and from Hotel Bethel to pier?

Any other option to get to Hotel Bethel from airport without a lot of walking steps, etc.

How is the weather in May to end of May?

Thanks. Iris

Where is Hotel Bethel ?

The weather in early May is cold but normally its nice and sunny from mid to late May with day temps up to 16C.

In Geiranger you could take a tour to Mt. Dalsnibba.

In Molde I would take a tour to the Path of the Trolls or the Atlantic road.

In Stavanger a popular tour is to Lysefjord.

In Bergen a tour to Mt. Floyen, the stave church at Fantoft and the former home of the composer Grieg at Trollhaugen could be an option.

This is a few options. Your cruise line might have other and more options.

These tours concentrate on the view and does not require much walking.

auntdot

Are you doing an organised ship excursion or DIY? If a ship tour, the cruise line will have reserved carriages.There will be stickers on the outside of the carriages so you know which ones are reserved for the cruise line.If doing a DIY tour get to the platform about 30 -40 minutes before the departure time and when the queue starts to move get on quickly. We sat on the right hand side facing forward and managed to get a window seat with one of the windows that opens.On the return trip everyone remained in the same seats but were quite happy to let you take a photo if there was some thing of interest on that side.

auntdot

Are you doing an organised ship excursion or DIY? If a ship tour, the cruise line will have reserved carriages.There will be stickers on the outside of the carriages so you know which ones are reserved for the cruise line.If doing a DIY tour get to the platform about 30 -40 minutes before the departure time and when the queue starts to move get on quickly. We sat on the right hand side facing forward and managed to get a window seat with one of the windows that opens.On the return trip everyone remained in the same seats but were quite happy to let you take a photo if there was some thing of interest on that side.

Thanks, Ecuador!

We are on a CC group - not a ship tour. i appreciate this information! So there will be some indication where to queue up for the DIY people?

auntdot

Edited by auntdot

Thanks. I will have to check out RCL website for excursions. Hotel Bethel is located at Nyhavn 22, DK-105 Kobenhaven. Thanks for all your help. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Iris

Nyhavn should be about 30 minutes from the airport. Nyhavn to the cruise port all depends on which one you are docked at.

If you dock at langlinen it will take 10 minutes to drive. If you dock at the other probably 15-20 minutes.......

auntdot

I assume as you are part of a CC group, there are at least 10 people in your group and you booked on the flam railway website. One of the group should go to the ticket office to pick up the tickets.The girl at the ticket office will give you info.There is a separate line at the ticket office for group reservations.

auntdot

I assume as you are part of a CC group, there are at least 10 people in your group and you booked on the flam railway website. One of the group should go to the ticket office to pick up the tickets.The girl at the ticket office will give you info.There is a separate line at the ticket office for group reservations.

Many thanks for the info. Yes, we are part of a group of 10 or 12 and plan to meet to pick up the tickets about 45 minutes prior to departure time. I'm sure it will all work out!! I just like to be organized!!!

Dot

auntdot

I like to be organised as well and try to have a plan for each port we visit.The train journey from Flam to Myrdal will take an hour.This includes a stop half way up at Kjosfossen waterfall for ten minutes where you can get off to take photos.The train will also stop at the waterfall on the way back down so if you missed getting photos the first time, you will have a second chance.Note that the weather can be very different in Myrdal. When we left Flam the weather was fine but at Myrdal there was heavy snow on the ground and it started snowing while we were there.

The Flam railway museum is also worth a visit if you want to hear the story of the Flam railway.It is situated in the building next to the railway station.The front of the building is a shop. Walk through the shop to the back to get to the museum.There is no charge for the museum.

There is also the land train which will take you around the area including the Flam church.

auntdot

I like to be organised as well and try to have a plan for each port we visit.The train journey from Flam to Myrdal will take an hour.This includes a stop half way up at Kjosfossen waterfall for ten minutes where you can get off to take photos.The train will also stop at the waterfall on the way back down so if you missed getting photos the first time, you will have a second chance.Note that the weather can be very different in Myrdal. When we left Flam the weather was fine but at Myrdal there was heavy snow on the ground and it started snowing while we were there.

The Flam railway museum is also worth a visit if you want to hear the story of the Flam railway.It is situated in the building next to the railway station.The front of the building is a shop. Walk through the shop to the back to get to the museum.There is no charge for the museum.

There is also the land train which will take you around the area including the Flam church.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions! we leave home tomorrow!!!!

Dot

FYI :the newest info regarding the closing of the stairs for maintenance is 15th August!!!

They will remain closed for the rest of the season and are scheduled to reopen in early 2015.

You give me fantastic news, we'll be there on August 5!!! Just in time to use the steps!

Thanks for all your help with planning my day in Alesund.

:):):):)

FYI :the newest info regarding the closing of the stairs for maintenance is 15th August!!!

They will remain closed for the rest of the season and are scheduled to reopen in early 2015.

Oh no! We are there in September.:( What other options are there?

Oh no! We are there in September.:( What other options are there?

Hi there - You can walk to Aksla from the cruise terminal.

There is an alternative route but it is not a scenic and nice as the stairs.

I enclose a Google map of the alternative walking map. Note: Where is says "Vannspringdalen" - a new path or short cut is being made to Aksla from there.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Nedre...62.4729045!3e0

I will not recommend these alternative routes as they are not scenic. More a nice Sunday walk for the locals.

Your scenic alternative would be to take the hop on/off bus or the tourist "train".

http://www.bytoget.no/citytrain.html

Here is a list of festivals in Ålesund that might make your stay that much more enjoyable.

The summer party/festival - one of the biggest music festivals in Norway. The location is at the islands of Giske.

Ålesund boat festival. July 9 - 12. (music - concerts - exhibitions etc)

Jugend party/festival. August 22 - 23. (Music at the stadium from 5pm)

The Norwegian Food festival August 27 - 30. (Sample Food - purchase local delicacies - entertainment - music) My favorite.!!

I wonder if you can help me, how realistic would it be to go from Alesund to the Atlantic road within the cruise port time, which I think is about 7 hours? Ideally we would love to drive it but open to see whats possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums