Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Does anyone know how difficult or wise it is to rent a car in Alesund and drive to the Troll Wall and back to the ship in single day. Our ship is in port from 7-5 on a weekday and I know the trip is easily 2 hours each way. The ship tours are quite expensive(about $250 per person). I would think we could rent a car and include gas for about $250 for the day for both of us. Also have leisure time on our own to stop when we like.

Does Norway have easy to navigate roads? I can drive in mountains no problem. Have driven in France, Britain, etc.

How likey is there to be lots of traffic in August?

Thanks for all replies,

Bruce4fun

Does anyone know how difficult or wise it is to rent a car in Alesund and drive to the Troll Wall and back to the ship in single day. Our ship is in port from 7-5 on a weekday and I know the trip is easily 2 hours each way. The ship tours are quite expensive(about $250 per person). I would think we could rent a car and include gas for about $250 for the day for both of us. Also have leisure time on our own to stop when we like.

Does Norway have easy to navigate roads? I can drive in mountains no problem. Have driven in France, Britain, etc.

Thanks for all replies,

Bruce4fun

I think you will find lots of good advice about driving to the Troll road and Troll wall on this thread.

There is also a review with lots of helpful pictures if you read back a little.

To rent a car and drive to the Troll Wall is very easy and straight forward.

Let the car company include a gps in the rental.

The roads are very comfortable and easy to drive on. Depending on the day in August you arrive but there should not be more traffic than normal. Except for rush our in/out of the town you will have no queues.

Now, you say you would like to go to the Troll wall/Trollveggen.

The drive from Ålesund to Trollveggen is more like 2,5 (3) hours one way excluding stops. if you spend 20 minutes at Troll wall - 20 minutes at Trollstigen view point - 10 minutes at Gudbrandsjuvet gorge - and another 10 minutes at various places for photo stops you will use a total of 6 hours minimum.

The rental office opens at 0800 but you might be able to have them deliver the car at the pier at 0700 for an extra charge. This would be the best options as to make a head start.

You can do the tour in the time frame you have. For me it will be a bit rushed and does not include any eventualities that will not happen but might.

A full tank of petrol will cost approx NOK 700 or $130 (ish) I doubt very much you will use a full tank. More like half.

Thanks for all replies,

Bruce4fun

Hi Bruce,

We just did the drive from Alesund to the Troll Road two weeks ago. Our excursion was cancelled and I freaked out and knew I had to see this in person. Luckily, I had been reading this thread (HI again Lars! :o) and knew this could be done on our own.

We were a bit anxious since our all aboard time was 2:30 and Avis didn't open until 8! Honestly, I was mentally preparing myself to miss the ship! lol

We got to Avis at 7:30 and the staff showed up soon after and were able to get us our car. We were on the way to the Troll Road by 8. We rented a VW Golf, but were given a Toyota Wagon. I think it must have been a hybrid since we only used 1/4 tank driving 4 hours.

We made it back to Alesund at 1:45. Sure, we were rushed and I would have loved to have more time, but dang, I knew I wasn't doing to miss this place while I was so close!

So yeah you'll have plenty of time.

Oh, and the rental car cost $183 for the day. The 1/4 tank of gas cost $32 (!! lol!). The excursion the boat provided was $229 p/p.

I'm glad this excursion was cancelled. Doing this excursion on our own = priceless!

Edited by SumoChewie

I-Cruiser,

A couple of months ago, I asked for your advice on what to do in Olden and Alesund during our cruise on the Queen Victoria. We had a fantastic time and wish to thank you. Here is what we did:

In Olden, we chose the Lovanet Lake and Kjendallen Glacier excursion offered by the ship. The views were breathtaking and we were very fortunate about the weather. As the small boat cruised on Lovanet Lake, its motors moved the slit (that comes down the mountains with the glacier water) creating circular patterns on the lake's milky green-blue surface. Although we were told that Kjendallen Glacier is not as impressive as in the past, the walk to the viewpoint was beautiful. So many varieties of wild flowers!

Back on the ship, we spent as much time as we could watching the fjord as we cruised out to sea. We would try to figure out how farmhouses and small villages were linked together: paved and unpaved roads, tunnels, ferries. We now understand why people come back (and again and again) to Norway to cruise the fjords.

Because I injured my knee before our cruise, DYI plans were out so we took the ship's tour of Giske and Godoy Islands (with stops at the viewpoint over Alesund and pancakes at the Alnes Lighthouse). It was a great decision. The tunnels between the islands were very impressive. Our favorite was the one to Godoy which is only one-lane wide, with spots along it for traffic coming in the other direction to get out of the way. As you had advised, because of the strong winds and flat landscape, the area around Alnes Lighthouse resembled parts of Iceland we later visited.

After the excursion, we walked around Alesund -- saw the old wood houses near the Scania Hotel, took photos of the Art Nouveau houses, and visited the Jugendstil Museum and a drug store (apotek) looking for Norwegian cold medicines (they worked).

I also took my five year old daughter to the Alesund Public Library, only a couple of blocks from port. Fantastic children's book collection! Lots of educational toys, including a puppet theater with several dozen puppets. The library stocks books in other languages, so I was able to read a book on trolls in Spanish to my daughter. An unexpected, enjoyable break.

Muchas gracias!

We stayed in Geiranger this weekend and did the amazing waterfall walk from the Fjord Center/Hotel Union down to the town.

I have to say that this is now become a must do when visiting Geiranger. I was stunned by the architecture (and the nature of course).

The walk consists of paths, steps and ledges stretching over the river and waterfall.

One thing the pictures can not re create is the thundering sound of the river - the pure force of nature.

2014-07-13112335_zps7323a901.jpg

2014-07-13112531_zps0af40422.jpg

2014-07-13112813_zps2e891c39.jpg

Dididi. I also have trouble with my knee and couldn't do walking uphill, steep hills or a lot of steps. Which tour did you take and do you think we could do it. Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Iris

@ I-Cruiser. Thanks for the pics.

How long did the walk down take you and did you drive up?

Thanks

We started the walk from the Fjord center and walked down to the base of the walk/path. Then we walked back up again.

To walk one way took no more than 10-15 minutes.

It was a very easy thing to do. Some steps - about 315 I was told. I did not count:D

Is it possible to walk there from the dockside? If so, how strenuous is it? Or is there transport to get there please, other than ship's excursions.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can walk from the pier to the base. The walk is pretty flat and straight forward. (walk pass the Geiranger Hotel - the grocerystore - the camping and the school) The path is marked.

If you walk to the Fjord center to start the walk its all uphill. Also very easy to do. I suppose the walk to the Fjord center from the pier will take about 15-20 minutes at the most with a very leisurely pace.

Hi Lars:

We are two weeks back from our Norwegian cruise.You have a stunningly beautiful country. We enjoyed every minute of our cruise from charming Bergen to the North Cape. The waterfall walk in Geiranger and cruise on Lake Olden were highlights for us--both your recommendations. Thanks so much for your time and effort on this board!

I've reserved a private tour that will be @3-3.5 hours up to Dalsnibba, back through town, and on to Eagles Nest. Our ship is tendered from 7am-3pm and I requested a meetup time for the tour of 8:45, thinking that it might take awhile to get on a tender. (Any Celeb cruisers have information about the tender situation in Geiranger?) That should bring us back to town no later than 12:30, and I would ask the tour operator to drop us off at the falls.

I-cruiser & GJH123, would you please let me know how long the waterfall climb took r/t from the base? Takk!

I've reserved a private tour that will be @3-3.5 hours up to Dalsnibba, back through town, and on to Eagles Nest. Our ship is tendered from 7am-3pm and I requested a meetup time for the tour of 8:45, thinking that it might take awhile to get on a tender. (Any Celeb cruisers have information about the tender situation in Geiranger?) That should bring us back to town no later than 12:30, and I would ask the tour operator to drop us off at the falls.

I-cruiser & GJH123, would you please let me know how long the waterfall climb took r/t from the base? Takk!

Regarding tendering in Geiranger. Celebrity has been known to use the "seawalk" this year. The "seawalk" is a floating pier. This eliminate the need for tendering. Not sure if Celebrity will use it during your cruise.

My suggestion would be to ask the tour operator to drop you off at the Fjord center then you can walk down.

This will take no more than 30 minutes from the Fjord center back to the pier.

As you can see you have lots of time to do the walk.

IrisMike,

If you take the tourist "train" in Alesund, it will take you around town and up to the viewpoint on Mt. Aksla without having to walk up the 400+ steps.

Because of my knee brace, our original plan of kayaking around Alesund (rentals and a daily kayak trip at 11am are offered by one of the local tourist companies) was out. Driving was not an option given my now fully recovered injury. A couple of my friends visited Alesund in late May and told me know much they enjoyed the excursion to Giske and Godoy Islands (brief ride around Alesund; Mt Aksla viewpoint; tunnels to Giske and Godoy; Giske Church; pancakes at Alnes lighthouse in Godoy). They were on a Celebrity ship; we were on Cunard. Both excursions were similar. The only walk of the day was to the lighthouse from the parking lot, some 200 yards along a path, a bit uphill at the beginning. Alesund itself is very pretty, and its center is all level, no inclines or slippery surfaces. Our ship offered an excursion to the Trolls from Alesund, but nine hours on a bus did not sound appealing. Plus we would have not had the opportunity to walk around Alesund.

In Olden, we chose the Lovanet Lake/Kjenndalen Glacier excursion based on Lars' recommendation. Getting on the boat for the lake trip was easy. If you cannot walk to the glacier's viewpoint (mostly level, some 100 yards), you can still see the glacier from the bus. Going to the Brinksdal Glacier would have been more challenging mobility-wise.

Hope this helps.

We will be on Eclipse in early September, visiting Geiranger. The local webcam is my husband's favourite. So far this year all the ships who are allied with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines have used the Seawalk. They include RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, Pullmantour and Croisiere de France. It looks like a brilliant invention.

Eclipse is there today, using the Seawalk. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cinnamon

Do you mind sharing who you are using for the tour? I've not found any private ones except the busses from the visitors center.