Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi Lars: We now understand why you love Alesund! It is a beautiful city…. We had a day with mixed weather so took the first little train tour up to Mt Aksla while the sun was out, had coffee and cake at Cafe Invit, then the shuttle to the Aquarium, and finally Sunnemore Museum via city bus, and then walked around town a little more.

It was easy to get tickets, using credit cards, from the booths at the exit from the cruise terminal. The city bus, also near the exit from the terminal, needed cash but I don't recollect the cost.

Thanks so much, this is just the kind of information I was looking for! We are doing this trip using our United frequent flier miles which is why I'm trying to work our the details so far in advance and get our arrival airport determined. Looks like driving is going to be involved so I appreciate your assurance that driving in Norway is easy. Thanks again!

No problem at all :)

If you are reluctant to drive in an unknown city like Oslo you can hire the rental at the airport (OSL - Gardermoen) Also, it would be a good idea to have the rental company program a GPS for you.

Have fun.

Hi Lars: We now understand why you love Alesund! It is a beautiful city…. We had a day with mixed weather so took the first little train tour up to Mt Aksla while the sun was out, had coffee and cake at Cafe Invit, then the shuttle to the Aquarium, and finally Sunnemore Museum via city bus, and then walked around town a little more.

It was easy to get tickets, using credit cards, from the booths at the exit from the cruise terminal. The city bus, also near the exit from the terminal, needed cash but I don't recollect the cost.

Sounds like you had a great day even though the weather was changeable.

In spite of the weather - and we do have lots of it - Ålesund in a nice quiet place to live.

Cake and coffee at Invit..!!...Yes, I think I will have some of that right away:)

I am not sure if this is allowed but I just want to share a link to 15 fantastic photos taken by Sean Ensch.

He really has captured stunning, magical and mythical landscapes.

http://iso.500px.com/norway-landscape-photos/?utm_source=500px&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=aug28_6PM_norway-landscape-photos

Those are great photos, thank you!

We leave tomorrow, yay! Any free wifi recommendations?

Bon Voyage - Enjoy your cruise.

I would think almost all cafes have free wifi. In Ålesund cafebar "Invit" offers free wifi to their guests.

Just returned. Good free Wifi at the Tourist offices in Geiranger and Stavanger. [ATTACH]324484[/ATTACH]

Can't resist sharing this photo of Eclipse way down below.

Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting this wonderful picture of Geiranger and the Eclipse.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise.

We just returned from Geiranger yesterday. We rented a log cabin for the weekend by the lake in the mountain just before the Eagle Rd. The autumn colours have started to change so it was really beautiful.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi, your thread has a lot of good information and I'm hoping you can give me some advice. We're booked on a Norway cruise out of Copenhagen in June 2015 but two things we want to see, Borgund Stave Church and the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, are not on the intinerary (stops are in Bergen, Alesund, Stavenger, and Geiranger). I can only get a few extra days off work (arrival day, 1 full day, next day get to Copenhagen) so I am trying to devise a plan to see both before the cruise. We'd rather not drive ourselves but will if it is our only option. My original plan was to fly into Oslo early enough to see the museum before it closes, then take the Norway in a Nutshell tour to Flam, stay the night in Flam, see Borgund church the next day , then fly to Copenhagen that day or the next. But the Norway in a Nutshell office said they don't have a schedule for June 2015 yet so I don't know if their schedule will accommodate this plan.

So then we considered trying to do Borgund Stave church first by flying to the closest international airport (Vigra in Alesund?) but I'm getting conflicting information on how far of a drive it would be to the Borgund Stave Church from the airport. Is a trip to Borgund Stave Church doable? Are there any companies offering tours to Borgund Stave church from Alesund? Sorry if this is an ignorant question but I'm not familiar with Norway and researching this has been confusing. Thanks for any help you can render.

Is there are particular reason for the Borgund Stave Church. There is a lovely one in the open-air Oslo Folk Museum. http://www.norskfolkemuseum.no/en/

Edited by Alaskanb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First...thanks for all the information about Alesund!! We will be there via cruise ship in July of 2015 and I think I have us all squared away.

There are 6 of us, I have rented us a car from Avis that will seat 7. I understand its about a 5 minute walk to the Avis location, left past the Quality Hotel Waterfront, down Nedre Strandgate.

We will then drive to Runde.. as we want to see the Puffins..will they be there in July?

We figure it will take us about 5 hours to get there and back. That will put us back in Alesund at about 2pm. We can then wander around the town, climb the 418 steps and be back on the ship by 430.

We will be in Geiranger the day before, for 11 hours, so we figure we will do the Troll Road that day. Unfortunately, I have not been able to rent a car that seats 7...so will have to get 2 cars in Geiranger.

So.... does this sound doable? Any other suggestions? I know its still several months away, but already getting VERY excited.

We figure it will take us about 5 hours to get there and back. That will put us back in Alesund at about 2pm. We can then wander around the town, climb the 418 steps and be back on the ship by 430.

Not sure that you have enough time to get to the base of the steps, climb up / down, and get back into town. Maybe check it out on Google maps. We used the little train and it worked well for us.

Hi I-Cruiser,

First of all I want to thank you for giving all of this valuable information. It really helps us Norway-newbies to make the most of our days in port.

We just booked our cruise on NCL next June and since my husband and I are avid DIY-ers we really wanted to rent a car in Alesund on Sunday June 14th to drive to Trollstigen. Well, obviously all rental car places are closed on Sundays, except for the airport locations. Are there any other options?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Regards

Petra

Just noticed that you are cruising the Med right now! Enjoy!

Edited by Ssislandgirl

Depends on your level of fitness.

I'd allow about 90 minutes if you're pace is reasonable - about 20 minutes to get to the steps from the port, 20 minutes up, 10 minutes at the top, 20 minutes back down, and 20 minutes to walk to the port.

First...thanks for all the information about Alesund!! We will be there via cruise ship in July of 2015 and I think I have us all squared away.

There are 6 of us, I have rented us a car from Avis that will seat 7. I understand its about a 5 minute walk to the Avis location, left past the Quality Hotel Waterfront, down Nedre Strandgate.

We will then drive to Runde.. as we want to see the Puffins..will they be there in July?

We will be in Geiranger the day before, for 11 hours, so we figure we will do the Troll Road that day. Unfortunately, I have not been able to rent a car that seats 7...so will have to get 2 cars in Geiranger.

So.... does this sound doable? Any other suggestions? I know its still several months away, but already getting VERY excited.

Thank you for your kind words.

I doubt very much you will see the Puffins as they are only view able on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. You can see them from a boat.....

Dryce said 90 minutes approx and I would agree. Even if you shave off 5 minutes here and there it will still take a good while.

To wander around town only takes 1 hr at a pleasant pace.

Hi I-Cruiser,

First of all I want to thank you for giving all of this valuable information. It really helps us Norway-newbies to make the most of our days in port.

We just booked our cruise on NCL next June and since my husband and I are avid DIY-ers we really wanted to rent a car in Alesund on Sunday June 14th to drive to Trollstigen. Well, obviously all rental car places are closed on Sundays, except for the airport locations. Are there any other options?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Regards

Petra

Just noticed that you are cruising the Med right now! Enjoy!

I think the car rentals might be open on Sundays during the high season. I would suggest to write them an email to ask.

Even if they are closed in town the airport office might be able to deliver a car to the pier.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi I-Cruiser,thanks for the great info. Sorry if this has been asked before - Can you walk from the cruise terminal to the Mount Aksla viewpoint ?

Yes you can:) See the answer below from Dryce:

"....allow about 90 minutes if you're pace is reasonable - about 20 minutes to get to the steps from the port, 20 minutes up, 10 minutes at the top, 20 minutes back down, and 20 minutes to walk to the port...."

Thank you for your kind words.

I doubt very much you will see the Puffins as they are only view able on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. You can see them from a boat.....

Dryce said 90 minutes approx and I would agree. Even if you shave off 5 minutes here and there it will still take a good while.

To wander around town only takes 1 hr at a pleasant pace.

Thanks for the information. Hmm..My drive to Runde was all about the Puffins!! LOL.

Is the drive worth it in your opinion? Do you have any other suggestions for our day there since we do have a car rented? We want to make sure that we have some time to spend in Alesund itself. We will be there for 9 hours.

Thanks for the information. Hmm..My drive to Runde was all about the Puffins!! LOL.

Is the drive worth it in your opinion? Do you have any other suggestions for our day there since we do have a car rented? We want to make sure that we have some time to spend in Alesund itself. We will be there for 9 hours.

You could probably do Runde by RIB tour. 62Nord have tours like this available.

http://www.62.no/en/activities/sea-rafting/wildlife-sea-safari

You could drive to Trollstigen or a small little village called Øye in Hjørundfjord.

The nature is stunning and it can easily be done in 6 hrs. You will drive across the mountain to Stranda and continue to Hellesylt. From there drive through the impressive "Norangsdalen" or Norangsvalley...Its only 200-300 meters between the high mountains so its very narrow...It is one of my favorite drives.

There is an old hotel at Øye where you can have lunch, tour the hotel and see the Blue Room which apparently is haunted:)

I enclose a map on how to get to/from Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/%C3%98ye/@62.2818618,6.0334248,9z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691560d441689:0xddfb06e358dd8294!2m2!1d6.6617871!2d62.1901111!3e0!5i1

http://www.unionoye.no/

http://www.hjorundfjordadventures.no/?id=1552304987

Edited by I-Cruiser

You could probably do Runde by RIB tour. 62Nord have tours like this available.

http://www.62.no/en/activities/sea-rafting/wildlife-sea-safari

You could drive to Trollstigen or a small little village called Øye in Hjørundfjord.

The nature is stunning and it can easily be done in 6 hrs. You will drive across the mountain to Stranda and continue to Hellesylt. From there drive through the impressive "Norangsdalen" or Norangsvalley...Its only 200-300 meters between the high mountains so its very narrow...It is one of my favorite drives.

There is an old hotel at Øye where you can have lunch, tour the hotel and see the Blue Room which apparently is haunted:)

I enclose a map on how to get to/from Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/%C3%98ye/@62.2818618,6.0334248,9z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691560d441689:0xddfb06e358dd8294!2m2!1d6.6617871!2d62.1901111!3e0!5i1

http://www.unionoye.no/

http://www.hjorundfjordadventures.no/?id=1552304987

We have rented a car for Geiranger, and since we are there for 11 hours, we thought that would be the best place to drive the Trollstigen. The drive to Øye in Hjørundfjord looks realy nice, love the web site for the hotel. So you think we could do that trip, including lunch and be back in 6 hrs?. Looks better than the drive to Runde. Would there be a car ferry involved in that trip?

We have rented a car for Geiranger, and since we are there for 11 hours, we thought that would be the best place to drive the Trollstigen. The drive to Øye in Hjørundfjord looks realy nice, love the web site for the hotel. So you think we could do that trip, including lunch and be back in 6 hrs?. Looks better than the drive to Runde. Would there be a car ferry involved in that trip?

The trip to Øye and Hjørundfjord is more the drive rather than the destination even though the hotel is very quint.

You can do the drive in 4.5 hrs. If you spend 1 hr for lunch you are within your 6 hrs time frame.

If you want to do a circle drive you would need 3 ferries. If you back track it will be 2.

If you decide to go to Øye you will do something different. Not many, if any, cruise ships visits Øye so I think visiting will be a treat.

I think the car rentals might be open on Sundays during the high season. I would suggest to write them an email to ask.

Even if they are closed in town the airport office might be able to deliver a car to the pier.

Let me know how you get on.

Hello again I-Cruiser,

Thank you for your response. Hope you had a great vacation. We "jumped ship" so to say and are cruising now with Princess to the North Cape instead of NCL. I liked the length of time in port better with Princess. Since we are now docking in Andalsnes from 8 to 6, we made reservations to rent a car there to get to Trollstigen and Geiranger. We have obviously never been to Norway and are not familiar with the ferry system. Is it fairly easy to use and is it necessary to make reservations for the car ahead of time?I looked at the schedules and noticed that most of them run every 30 min. Could not find a price chart though. Would you happen to know the average price per car?

We also reserved a car in Ålesund and hope to do your suggested circle drive to Øye. Thanks for all the great tips :) !

Regards

Petra

Hello again I-Cruiser,

Thank you for your response. Hope you had a great vacation. We "jumped ship" so to say and are cruising now with Princess to the North Cape instead of NCL. I liked the length of time in port better with Princess. Since we are now docking in Andalsnes from 8 to 6, we made reservations to rent a car there to get to Trollstigen and Geiranger. We have obviously never been to Norway and are not familiar with the ferry system. Is it fairly easy to use and is it necessary to make reservations for the car ahead of time?I looked at the schedules and noticed that most of them run every 30 min. Could not find a price chart though. Would you happen to know the average price per car?

We also reserved a car in Ålesund and hope to do your suggested circle drive to Øye. Thanks for all the great tips :) !

Regards

Petra

Petra - Our cruise was really enjoyable. Loved every minute of it. Thank you for asking.

It seems like you did the right thing jumping ship.

Doing the Trollstigen and Geiranger is really easy from Aandalsnes.

The ferries you need to take goes constantly and take no more than 10-15 minutes to cross the fjord.

You do not need to purchase tickets in advance. A ticket guy will come to collect the fare either before you board or when onboard. You can pay with card or cash.

The ferry system is a well oiled machinery so everything goes smooth and fast.

The tickets system works like this:

The ticket for the car includes the driver. Others are extra.

(If you are 2 in the car you would say: "Car and one".

The price for a one way for (car and one:)) is approx NOK 100-140 depending on the length of the ferry ride.

If you are doing all the tours you are planning you will for sure have an amazing time making lots of great memories.

Lars

Petra - Our cruise was really enjoyable. Loved every minute of it. Thank you for asking.

It seems like you did the right thing jumping ship.

Doing the Trollstigen and Geiranger is really easy from Aandalsnes.

The ferries you need to take goes constantly and take no more than 10-15 minutes to cross the fjord.

You do not need to purchase tickets in advance. A ticket guy will come to collect the fare either before you board or when onboard. You can pay with card or cash.

The ferry system is a well oiled machinery so everything goes smooth and fast.

The tickets system works like this:

The ticket for the car includes the driver. Others are extra.

(If you are 2 in the car you would say: "Car and one".

The price for a one way for (car and one:)) is approx NOK 100-140 depending on the length of the ferry ride.

If you are doing all the tours you are planning you will for sure have an amazing time making lots of great memories.

Lars

Thank you so much, Lars, for all your great advice and insight. It is really, really appreciated. We are very excited about this vacation. We won't be leaving until next June, but I like to plan ahead and get things organized and clarified :). I hope you won't mind if I ask more questions in the future

Regards

Petra