Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

We will be on Eclipse in early September, visiting Geiranger. The local webcam is my husband's favourite. So far this year all the ships who are allied with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines have used the Seawalk. They include RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, Pullmantour and Croisiere de France. It looks like a brilliant invention.

Eclipse is there today, using the Seawalk. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since the companies has to contract the use of the Seawalk for the season it looks like no tendering for the Celebrity passengers.

It really is a brilliant innovation eliminating tender operation completely. This getting the passengers faster ashore and saving on fuel:)

Do you mind sharing who you are using for the tour? I've not found any private ones except the busses from the visitors center.

Not sure it's really a tour we're getting, but this is the company we're using-

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx.

The cost p/p for a minivan of 8 is @$16 less than the Celebrity tour with the same itinerary.

I am really excited to think we won't have to tender!!

Lars, is there any way to find out if other ships will be with us in Geiranger on 13 May?

Lars, is there any way to find out if other ships will be with us in Geiranger on 13 May?

You could try to get in contact with your cruise line or try to contact the handling agent for the cruise line in Geiranger.

The largest handling agent is Geiranger and Nordfjord cruise handling. Their email address is:

post@geiranger-nordfjord.no

You could also try to contact Geiranger Fjordservice at the link below:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/Contact-Us

Good luck with your research - please do report back if you are successful in obtaining an answer.

Actually, Eclipse was in yesterday. She arrived much earlier than planned. I hope that doesn't happen next time she is there, with us on board. We hope to enjoy the sail in, arriving at 11.00, not at breakfast time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi TMLAalum:

I would say it took about 30 minutes to walk down from the fjord center to the dock at Geiranger. This was at a pretty steady clip not strolling.

We also used Geiranger Taxi and Tour Bus. I had inquired about the driver speaking English and was assured that he could answer any questions we had. Well, he spoke about three words of English. There was absolute silence on our trip up Dalsnibba, all 35 minutes of it. Thankfully, I was traveling with a "go with the flow group", but in all of the private tours I have arranged--think 30-40, this was the worst experience of all. I would suggest that you ask for a guide to join the tour or take the hop-on bus as we heard from others on the cruise that they played a recording with dialogue as to what you were seeing.

Additionally, I left my raincoat on the mini-van (couldn't get off there fast enough) and had the concierge on the ship e-mail Geiranger Taxi since the internet connection on the ship was at best sporadic. I had asked that they mail it to the agent at Olden which was a later stop( 10 days) on our trip with the notation that I would reimburse them for any expense and time involved. There was no response from them; unlike the pre-cruise when they were always quick to answer my questions.

This was the first tour I had arranged that required a transfer instead of credit card which required additional effort and expense on my part. I should have read between the lines then. Buyer beware!

Hi TMLAalum:

I would say it took about 30 minutes to walk down from the fjord center to the dock at Geiranger. This was at a pretty steady clip not strolling.

We also used Geiranger Taxi and Tour Bus. I had inquired about the driver speaking English and was assured that he could answer any questions we had. Well, he spoke about three words of English. There was absolute silence on our trip up Dalsnibba, all 35 minutes of it. Thankfully, I was traveling with a "go with the flow group", but in all of the private tours I have arranged--think 30-40, this was the worst experience of all. I would suggest that you ask for a guide to join the tour or take the hop-on bus as we heard from others on the cruise that they played a recording with dialogue as to what you were seeing.

Additionally, I left my raincoat on the mini-van (couldn't get off there fast enough) and had the concierge on the ship e-mail Geiranger Taxi since the internet connection on the ship was at best sporadic. I had asked that they mail it to the agent at Olden which was a later stop( 10 days) on our trip with the notation that I would reimburse them for any expense and time involved. There was no response from them; unlike the pre-cruise when they were always quick to answer my questions.

This was the first tour I had arranged that required a transfer instead of credit card which required additional effort and expense on my part. I should have read between the lines then. Buyer beware!

Thanks for this heads-up!! So far there's not been mention in my emails with Geiranger Taxi of how to make payment, but the expense of a wire transfer, the lack of an English-speaking driver, and the non-return of your raincoat that you experienced are causing me to back off from keeping this reservation!

Seconded. I think we'll just end up doing the (cheaper for just two of us anyway) bus from the visitors center when we are there in mid September. We'll be the only ship - and only 1400 or so pax - so shouldn't have too much of an issue getting tickets.

We had such a lovely day today so decided to take a drive along the Storfjord.

Storfjord is on the way to/from Geiranger.

For those on a Path of the Troll tour from Ålesund this is the road you will be taking.

image_zpsade64c18.jpg

image_zpsc36a3bbe.jpg

Hi, we are arriving on a cruise ship to Alesund, in port from 7am to 5pm, and are interested in taking in "The Path of the Trolls". Do not want to do the cruse ship tour, would like to look for a private tour company. I think you mentioned a rental car. Would that be possible and how far from the cruise terminal are they. What would the cost be and being from the US it would take me a little practice to learn shifting again. In your opinion would it be better to rent a car?

Robert

Hi, we are arriving on a cruise ship to Alesund, in port from 7am to 5pm, and are interested in taking in "The Path of the Trolls". Do not want to do the cruse ship tour, would like to look for a private tour company. I think you mentioned a rental car. Would that be possible and how far from the cruise terminal are they. What would the cost be and being from the US it would take me a little practice to learn shifting again. In your opinion would it be better to rent a car?

Robert

Hi there - There are lots of info about this on this thread also including a review with lots of lovely pictures from someone who did the self drive in the time frame you have.

Avis and Budget are a max 5 minute walk from the pier. Both companies has a joint office by the Shell/7-11 patrol station at Nedre Strandgate.

The office opens at 8am but you might be able to get the car delivered at the pier earlier.

I do not know the cost for you as you are in the US. I get other prices when I do a search.

I would say driving on your own is better than touring. You can better manage how you would spend your day in regards to stops, when to go back etc.

A car rental will be the most inexpensive way to do the Path of the Trolls.

The drive to/from the Path is very easy and straight forward. You rental company will most probably fit you with a gps.

Enjoy!

Hello Lars: I wonder if you know of any free wifi or internet cafe locations in Alesund. Is it available in Cafe Invit?

Thanks.

I never pay attention to such things as free WiFi so I would presume most of the places in Ålesund has it.

I know for sure cafe Invit has it.

Hi there - There are lots of info about this on this thread also including a review with lots of lovely pictures from someone who did the self drive in the time frame you have.

Avis and Budget are a max 5 minute walk from the pier. Both companies has a joint office by the Shell/7-11 patrol station at Nedre Strandgate.

The office opens at 8am but you might be able to get the car delivered at the pier earlier.

I do not know the cost for you as you are in the US. I get other prices when I do a search.

I would say driving on your own is better than touring. You can better manage how you would spend your day in regards to stops, when to go back etc.

A car rental will be the most inexpensive way to do the Path of the Trolls.

The drive to/from the Path is very easy and straight forward. You rental company will most probably fit you with a gps.

Enjoy!

Sorry, I tried to find the review, but I am coming up short. Can you tell me the post number or link to it?

Thank you:)

Hi I-Cruiser! I'd appreciate a good recommendation for a reputable private tour company for Path of Trolls. My husband and I will be taking a Norwegian Fjords cruise Aug. 2015. Thank you!

Edited by nyfeds

Dididi: Thanks for the information. If you or anyone else on the board can think of any other sights we can see that do't require much up hill walking we would appreciate any tips. We are doing Royal Caribbean cruise in May. Thanks. Iris

Hi I-Cruiser! I'd appreciate a good recommendation for a reputable private tour company for Path of Trolls. My husband and I will be taking a Norwegian Fjords cruise Aug. 2015. Thank you!

Well, there are not many private tour companies operating.

Your best options is to rent a car and do it diy.

You may contact this company for a quote for a bus/van:

http://turistbussen.no/minibussutleie/

You could also contact the company at:

geir@turistbussen.no

brit@turistbussen.no

You have the option of a taxi tour but this will be very expensive.

Thanks so much for your reply!

No problems - Happy to help.

You may also contact a national bus company called "Netbuss".

They are not a private tour company but a huge bus company which also rents out buses. (From 10 seaters and upwards..)

You may contact them at:

turalesund@nettbuss.no

or

travel@netbuss.no

Orderform:

http://bestilling.nettbuss.no/

I am not sure how good these companies are at replying requests but its worth a try.

One thing for sure is that they will book out fast even for next year as the do prefer to sell their services to the cruise lines.

There are other companies too like 62Nord, Geiranger Fjordservice but they will be far more expensive for the same kind of service/tour that you easily can arrange yourself my contacting the companies directly.

If you need some more help let me know.

Thanks, once again. We will opt for ship tours if we can't tour with driver/guides privately and not DIY. We both want to take in the scenery rather than focus on keeping eyes on the road! I appreciate your replies!

Lars, we'll be in Alesund/Geirenger/Bergen/Eidfjord the second week of September. I know temps will likely be 10-15 Celsius give or take but how often does it typically rain/mist this time of year? I know weather is variable bit any general rules? :)

Debating bring umbrellas vs rain gear - would rather leave the rain gear at home since we're packing only carry ons.

Lars, we'll be in Alesund/Geirenger/Bergen/Eidfjord the second week of September. I know temps will likely be 10-15 Celsius give or take but how often does it typically rain/mist this time of year? I know weather is variable bit any general rules? :)

Debating bring umbrellas vs rain gear - would rather leave the rain gear at home since we're packing only carry ons.

If you are light packers I would make do with umbrellas though the best would be to pack rain gear.

I suppose you have considered the rain ponchos? They don't take up much space.

By general rules September is autumn and can be very windy and rainy. Be prepared for rain. You will have some (unfortunately)

We have done a Norway cruise in September and had lovely weather during most of the days (Bergen was pouring down) and we caught the first storm of the season between Geiranger/Ålesund and Bergen.

This year of course we have had the most beautiful summer in years so fingers crossed the autumn will be just as lovely.