Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Yes, you can. It will be much shorter from Geiranger. Probably save you 2 hours. If you choose to drive from Geiranger your best option is to back track on the return and not do a circle. That will make the trip longer.

Thanks. How long will it take one way vs going back the way we came? Will we miss any 'must sees' if we don't do the complete circle?

Thanks. How long will it take one way vs going back the way we came? Will we miss any 'must sees' if we don't do the complete circle?

From Geiranger to Trollstigen it will take you 1.5 hrs driving and ferry.

You should allow another hour for photo stops and to drive down the Trollstigen. Which should make a total of 2.5 hrs one way.

See map:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Geiranger/Trollstigen,+6300/@62.2810163,7.1287987,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614266d0e317cc9:0xee5b40919d3f7313!2m2!1d7.2063889!2d62.0994444!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6704756!2d62.4600295

Going the full circle the trip will take approx 7 hours with stops.

By going full circle you will miss the Romsdalsfjord. Its a beautiful fjord but it is my no means a must as you will be cruising other just as spectacular fjords. For sure no "must sees".

You should make a small detour to the Troll wall mountain which is a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of Trollstigen. Its spectacular!!

Other stops include Gudbrandsjuvet gorge, Eidsvatnet between Geiranger and Eidsdals (for the ferry across the fjord...The ferry takes 15 minutes), the valley of Valldal to mention a few.

From Geiranger to Trollstigen it will take you 1.5 hrs driving and ferry.

You should allow another hour for photo stops and to drive down the Trollstigen. Which should make a total of 2.5 hrs one way.

See map:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Geiranger/Trollstigen,+6300/@62.2810163,7.1287987,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614266d0e317cc9:0xee5b40919d3f7313!2m2!1d7.2063889!2d62.0994444!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6704756!2d62.4600295

Going the full circle the trip will take approx 7 hours with stops.

By going full circle you will miss the Romsdalsfjord. Its a beautiful fjord but it is my no means a must as you will be cruising other just as spectacular fjords. For sure no "must sees".

You should make a small detour to the Troll wall mountain which is a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of Trollstigen. Its spectacular!!

Other stops include Gudbrandsjuvet gorge, Eidsvatnet between Geiranger and Eidsdals (for the ferry across the fjord...The ferry takes 15 minutes), the valley of Valldal to mention a few.

Thiank you so much, but still a little confused. According to the map that you included, we would follow the map to the end point, then turn around and follow it back the same way we came? Are the 11 ' hairpin' turns that I have been reading about in that area? Looking at the map, it looks shorter to just contine on 63 back to Geiranger ?

Thank you so much, but still a little confused. According to the map that you included, we would follow the map to the end point, then turn around and follow it back the same way we came? Are the 11 ' hairpin' turns that I have been reading about in that area? Looking at the map, it looks shorter to just continue on 63 back to Geiranger ?

Yes, you will do the same route (63) back to Geiranger:) and yes its shorter than doing a circle (the circle is the best option for those doing the tour from Ålesund or if you have more time in the port of Geiranger to explore the area)

Trollstigen is the road with the 11 hairpins. Its easy to get confused as there are so many roads with hairpins.

I think on the road from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba there are twice as many.

I hope this makes it more clear. If you have any questions let me know:)

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before.

This year's is our third cruise to see the Norwegian Fjords. Yes, we are hooked.

We will be in Alesund the first week of September. On our first visit there we took the HoHo bus but it was a nasty day weather wise. This time we are thinking of visiting Sunnmore Museum.

I gather that the local bus costs 35 NOK pp each way. If we could find another couple willing to share a taxi, would it be much of a saving on the combined fares of 280 NOK return?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before.

This year's is our third cruise to see the Norwegian Fjords. Yes, we are hooked.

We will be in Alesund the first week of September. On our first visit there we took the HoHo bus but it was a nasty day weather wise. This time we are thinking of visiting Sunnmore Museum.

I gather that the local bus costs 35 NOK pp each way. If we could find another couple willing to share a taxi, would it be much of a saving on the combined fares of 280 NOK return?

Thank you.

Welcome back :) I can see you are hooked doing this for the 3rd time.

We have done the fjords once and would love to do a North cape/Spitzbergen cruise. But, since we live here we seek the sun and blue skies.

The bus will not cost more than NOK 36,- pp and a taxi will not be more than NOK 300,-

There could be savings to be had of you are 4-6 travelling.

For a more accurate price and to possibly book here is a link to Ålesund Taxi:

http://www.alesund-taxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

If you have more questions dont hesitate to ask:)

Lars

Many thanks for such a swift reply!

I suspect then we will catch the local bus. It is not always easy to agree length of time at an attraction with others. Also, our stay will be weather dependant to an extent.

BTW. My husband watches the Geiranger Web cam a lot. We will visit there for the second time and it will be our first trip to Flam. :)

Many thanks for such a swift reply!

I suspect then we will catch the local bus. It is not always easy to agree length of time at an attraction with others. Also, our stay will be weather dependant to an extent.

BTW. My husband watches the Geiranger Web cam a lot. We will visit there for the second time and it will be our first trip to Flam. :)

I totally agree with you.

Geiranger is a my second home as my mother was born there. We have kept the old family farm at the Eagle Bends and now my sister lives there.

Have you got plans for Geiranger and Flåm?

I suppose you might plan to take the train ride in Flåm?

We have a private booking on the Flam railway which has been organised by someone on our Roll Call.

We visited Geiranger on our first trip. For us it is the beauty of the sail in that matters.

We will probably just have a walk around the small town. We were blessed with great weather there before and I have some wonderful photos.

The train rides you have heard about is in Åndalsnes to Dombås with the "Reuma banen" a stunning train ride not to be missed. The ship dock walking distance from the train station.

Lars

Hi Lars

You're really very helpful and Im sure I speak for everyone when you are truly appreciated.

You mention this Reuma Banen, in Andalsnes , if one had the choice between that and the Troll Road trip , I know its an unfair question in a way as you're not me, but viewing wise (I love scenic moments) which might be the better option considering maybe a fjord is a fjord etc where as theres only one troll road (or is there?) . ie is one simply unmissable as its unique, thanks

Mike

Been following this thread ever since we booked our Fjords cruise for May 9-16 on the Eclipse!

We are in Alesund (docked) from 7am-7pm and in Geiranger (tendered) from 7am-3pm.

I believe the troll road can be accessed from either port, but I am thinking that since we are in Alesund longer that we should do the troll road that day (either by rental car or through a service such as limousinewest) and then in Geiranger visit Dalsnibba or other vistas or perhaps take a boat cruise. What are your thoughts, Lars?

We will likely be a group of 6 or 8 which would make using a service more feasible than a rental car. Are you aware of any other companies that would be able to drive us?

Thanks!

Hi Lars

You're really very helpful and Im sure I speak for everyone when you are truly appreciated.

You mention this Reuma Banen, in Andalsnes , if one had the choice between that and the Troll Road trip , I know its an unfair question in a way as you're not me, but viewing wise (I love scenic moments) which might be the better option considering maybe a fjord is a fjord etc where as theres only one troll road (or is there?) . ie is one simply unmissable as its unique, thanks

Mike

Mike - though one :) Both tours will show you stunning vistas and high mountains.

I have to say go with the Troll Road much because of the scenery but also because by doing the Troll Road you will very much take part in the experience in the sense that you can walk to the dramatic viewpoints hanging in mid air..You will be in the mountain..You will very much "feel" the drive on the narrow hairpin bends of the Troll road. I guess you can say that the Troll road will be a more organic tour....

As beautiful as the Reuma banen is by doing this tour you will "only be a spectator".

Thank you for your kind words - I am happy to help others plan the perfect port itinerary in Norway. I really enjoy the help I get from others when I plan our port days for our cruises.

To know its appreciated makes it all worthwhile.

Hi I Cruiser - thank you for wonderful information

Would you be able to email me the PDF brochure of walking tours in and around Ålesund to eileenlaub at aol. com

thanks very much

The PDF brochure is posted above:) Enjoy!

Been following this thread ever since we booked our Fjords cruise for May 9-16 on the Eclipse!

We are in Alesund (docked) from 7am-7pm and in Geiranger (tendered) from 7am-3pm.

I believe the troll road can be accessed from either port, but I am thinking that since we are in Alesund longer that we should do the troll road that day (either by rental car or through a service such as limousinewest) and then in Geiranger visit Dalsnibba or other vistas or perhaps take a boat cruise. What are your thoughts, Lars?

We will likely be a group of 6 or 8 which would make using a service more feasible than a rental car. Are you aware of any other companies that would be able to drive us?

Thanks!

Limousine west - He is a character:D I am sure you will have a fun day with him. PS, he has a traditional limousine so you will sit low and the windows in those car might not be the best for viewing the scenery as you are driving.

In Geiranger there is a company called Geiranger Taxi:

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

In Ålesund you have the choice of Ålesund Taxi:

http://www.alesund-taxi.no/

There are really not many or any private companies doing these tours. Its a shame as someone should start up a company soon ;-)

I believe as it would be a better use of your time to do the Troll Road from Ålesund. It will be longer and probably more expensive but well worth the drive.

You do have the option of renting a car too. I know Ålesund Taxi is expensive.

In Geiranger I would do what you already have planned; The Eagle Bends and its viewpoint, Flydalsjuvet viewoint, Mt. Dalsnibba.

If you rent a car or hire a driver I would suggest to drive the short distance to Eidsvatnet (Eidslake). Its only a 5-10 minute drive from The Eagle bends viewpoint but the narrow valley and high mountains are very dramatic. The lake itself is very stunning and peaceful.

You also might want to do the river/waterfall walk from Union Hotel to "downtown" Geiranger. It opened last weekend and it is suppose to be a wonderful experience. Lots of lookout points where you have the feeling of standing in the middle of the waterfall/river...

A different place to have lunch is at the Westerås farm. Local home made cooking. They also have alfresco seating. The cafe/restaurant is in the old barn.

As you can see you have lots of options to fill your day in Geiranger.

I am sure it will be perfect.

Lars:)

I came across this article and wanted to share it with you all.

The site is only in Norwegian but the pictures are nice:D

The waterfall walk starts from either the Hotel Union or the Fjord senter and follows the waterfall/river down to Geiranger.

There are 327 steps and as you see from the pictures the walk looks amazing. I can not wait to do the walk myself.

The walk will take approx 30 minutes.

http://www.visitmr.com/fossevandring-geiranger

Edited by I-Cruiser

I came across this article and wanted to share it with you all.

The site is only in Norwegian but the pictures are nice:D

The waterfall walk starts from either the Hotel Union or the Fjord senter and follows the waterfall/river down to Geiranger.

There are 327 steps and as you see from the pictures the walk looks amazing. I can not wait to do the walk myself.

The walk will take approx 30 minutes.

http://www.visitmr.com/fossevandring-geiranger

That's a great find I-Cruiser.

If you open it in chrome it will translate it for you (not that you need a translation)

Hi Lars-

Re; the troll road from Alesund-

I found turistbussenalesund via the "What to Do" page from this website-www.visitalesund-geiranger.com. They have minibuses that might work if I can recruit some roll call members to join us. You are right about the limo windows making photography a challenge!

That waterfall hike in Geiranger has great appeal! Thanks again for all your help!

Hi Lars-

Re; the troll road from Alesund-

I found turistbussenalesund via the "What to Do" page from this website-www.visitalesund-geiranger.com. They have minibuses that might work if I can recruit some roll call members to join us. You are right about the limo windows making photography a challenge!

That waterfall hike in Geiranger has great appeal! Thanks again for all your help!

Turistbussen is a very reputable company. I am not sure how much they charge for the minibus for a day but I would be very interested to know;)

They only have 2 minibuses so you might want to act fast as they can easily be booked in the high season.

I am sure you would have no problem getting members from your roll call to join you.

Lars,

I am cross-posting this question here as well as on the Norway Fjords thread.

What are your thoughts about the merits of the NCL North Cape 14 day cruise as compared with the 7 day NCL cruise which is limited to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen, and does not go to the North Cape or the Lotofen Islands? The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is only the four stops - but the port times are a bit longer - 10 hours in each.

Thanks.

Lars,

I am cross-posting this question here as well as on the Norway Fjords thread.

What are your thoughts about the merits of the NCL North Cape 14 day cruise as compared with the 7 day NCL cruise which is limited to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen, and does not go to the North Cape or the Lotofen Islands? The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is only the four stops - but the port times are a bit longer - 10 hours in each.

Thanks.

Hi there :) I posted reply on the Norway Fjords thread.

Lars,

Absolutely loving this thread and the pictures are fabulous. Could you give me a rough idea as to how long it would take to walk round Alesund, walk up the mount (if I feel up to it!) and return on the train?

Lars,

Absolutely loving this thread and the pictures are fabulous. Could you give me a rough idea as to how long it would take to walk round Alesund, walk up the mount (if I feel up to it!) and return on the train?

Ålesund is very small and compact town so to explore the town will take 1,5 - 2 hours. To walk from town up the steps will take 20 minutes with stops.

Of course it depends on how fast you walk and how often you take breaks.

I am not sure if you can take the "train" from the viewpoint to town but for sure you can take the "train" up and walk down. Walking down would be the easiest.