Repeaters' reception

clintefla

Just got off the Statendam (Alaska). The repeaters' reception was at 11:15 A.M. while we were in port. I wonder if anyone went! This is my 8th HAL cruise and is a first for this scheduling. . Is this something new? ( Was On Westerdam's maiden voyage recently.)

On the Amsterdam last month to Alaska - frankly, there were so many receptions it got a bit old after the first couple. I do recall one during the day, but I don't recall the exact time, but I think it was very late afternoon to catch the early diners on the way in.

Just got off the Statendam (Alaska). The repeaters' reception was at 11:15 A.M. while we were in port. I wonder if anyone went! This is my 8th HAL cruise and is a first for this scheduling. . Is this something new? ( Was On Westerdam's maiden voyage recently.)

I don't know your itinerary but wonder if you had any sea days toward the end of your cruise....the last two, three or even fourth day from the end?

Our second week of back-to-backs recently on Maasdam, we had six ports in seven days. Because there was no sea day at the end, they held an evening Mariner's Reception. It was nice though we were surprised that since they decided to do an evening one, they didn't hold it on the formal night. That formal night was the next to last night of the cruise as is often the case.

I have the following information for last two week's northbound & southbound cruises on STATENDAM. This information conflicts with what you have written. What were the dates of your cruise?

Stephen

Mariner party was held on Thursday July 14 th at sea. Next day July 15 th in Vancouver., day before july 13 th we were in Ketchikan .

Nbound it was held after Yakutat Bay which we leave at 11.30 am.

We also just got off the Statendam on July 15. The Mariners' Reception was held on July 14, our last sea day. I didn't go because my husband wasn't invited as he was not a Mariner.

Well, it is supposed to be an 'exclusive' party. Cant just let any old body in! ;)

You should have gone to the party... and taken husband along as your guest. That is the way it is supposed to work. No one is going to count heads and certainly nothing would have been said. But next time he will be a Mariner and I hope you both enjoy the party.

Stephen

The Mariner's Party has really declined over the years. Our last one was on the Rotterdam where we went with our medallions and were joined with many others. They of course took the obligatory photo as expected. What wasn't expected was when they offered to sell the picture to us. That's cheap.

The only perque offered to past cruisers by HAL are the medallions. They offer less to loyalty passengers than any of the cruise lines. I've noticed recently that for the first time I can remember HAL cruise are cheaper than Celebrity. I wonder why.

We were on the Westerdam in February and didn't hear anything about a Mariner party - do they always have them? We booked as Mariners but didn't get anything special except the tiles. I don't even remember anything in the daily newspapers. I would have liked something like that as my DH was sick for most of the cruise and I found the whole experience kind of lonely.

j

We were on the Westerdam in February and didn't hear anything about a Mariner party - do they always have them? We booked as Mariners but didn't get anything special except the tiles. I don't even remember anything in the daily newspapers. I would have liked something like that as my DH was sick for most of the cruise and I found the whole experience kind of lonely.

j

I cannot think of a single reason why the party would be skipped on your cruise.

You have just missed the notice in the Daily News or someone goofed and forgot to post your invitation. If you got the tiles then you can be certain that it was known that you were Mariners.

Too bad DH was sick during the cruise. Next time, don't hesitate to ask someone when the party will be. Front Desk has all that information right from the start of the cruise.

Stephen

I just got off a b2b on the Maasdam. We had both Repeaters' Parties (the "up" and "down" trips) later in the cruise. Seems to me one was marked "casual dress," and I think it fit the theme of the day and might have come just before supper; the other might have been between seatings, as I think I wore my medallion to the meal.

What wasn't expected was when they offered to sell the picture to us. That's cheap.
I found mine on my bed, as usual; no charge. I assumed that was one of the perks when you hit a hundred days, which I did a cruise or two ago.

My invite was on my bed, as usual.

Our invite for the Mariner's reception was also on our bed 2 days prior. It was held on our Informal Night at 7:30 Because we have 6:15 dinner everyone in the dining room worked especially fast to get us all our entrees and still have time to enjoy them and get to the reception on time. I was really impressed with that.

It's been our experience that the invitations for the Mariner's party are always placed on the bed one to two days prior to the event. We've always had the party on sea days (never in port) and they've both been in the morning (casual) and in the evening (formal).

It's usually a nice event with drinks and hors d'ouvres. Like Tom C said, the photo was in our cabin the next day at no cost. Some captains make a little more of it than others, I think based on their personality's. Frans Consen comes to mind:). Don't have anything to add to Spender Nui's comments re: HAL and it's loyalty towards it's pax because I don't know how the other cruise lines do it. Maybe someone else does.

Our last one was on the Rotterdam where we went with our medallions and were joined with many others. They of course took the obligatory photo as expected. What wasn't expected was when they offered to sell the picture to us. That's cheap.

I received a complimentary photo on our Volendam cruise in March... I wonder why the difference. :confused:

On the Zuiderdam (June 25 sailing) the mariners reception was at 11:15 am on the last sea day -- problem was that many of us did not receive our invites until an hour or so before the reception was actually held - I also wonder if anyone actually attended.

At the "up" cruise segment of my NE/C b2b, Dirk van Vijk (the HM, who was following with great enjoyment my "Live from the Maasdam" thread) used the repeater photo to identify who I probably was -- eliminate the two women, most likely eliminate the old guy, probably it's the middle-aged guy with the perky look. We had a bunch of repeaters, mostly newbies, but only four people with existing 100-day medallions.

Spender Nui

We have had many pictures taken with our medals. None were ever delivered to our suite. And they were never shown in the photo gallery for us to buy them.

Many times at the Mariners' Party, we are the only folks in the photo with the Captain and HM with our medal. About 50% of the time they deliver the photo to our cabin. It irritates me a lot if they bother to call us up for the photo and then, as KK says, we cannot even find it at the Photo Shop to purchase let alone have them deliver it to us. If we're the only couple in the photo and even if there are several other folks, it's seems a small thing to do for people who obviously have spent many days on HAL or they wouldn't have the medals and be in the photos.

We are always very pleased when we get the photo. That is one of the few from the ships that we want to have and like to receive.

(On our recent Maasdam cruise, we received both the photos ....each leg of our back-to-backs.)

The Mariner's Party has really declined over the years. Our last one was on the Rotterdam where we went with our medallions and were joined with many others. They of course took the obligatory photo as expected. What wasn't expected was when they offered to sell the picture to us. That's cheap.

I think these will continue to go downhill simply as a matter of economics. I'll bet over half the cruisers onboard are Mariners and these parties are a major undertaking.

Probably when they started these, there were a relatively small percentage of past guests onboard. Thus, the parties were nice because they were truly "exclusive."

Blue skies ...

--rita

JMHO...

I don't think the parties have changed very much in all of the years we've been attending. The major difference is they are often held on a sea day morning and are casual whereas, they used to always be in the evening on a formal night.

Plenty of liquor available. The hors d'ouerves are about the same except maybe fewer fried shrimp. :) They still have the 'good' nuts. ;)

Kryros....Do you think they have changed that much?

I don't think they've changed much, except that most of the ship is there. They only reason I go is because it's the only chance all year I get to wear my medallion. ;) The most expensive piece of jewelry I own.

Archived