What to do and see in Kusadasi without seeing Ephesus???

We are not Cruisemom but do know the area quite well. None of those ruins are really as easy as Ephesus (and the Terrace Houses) where the tourist infrastructure is quite good. If one has trouble dealing with the Terrace Houses they will certainly have great difficulty with Priene and Didyma as well as Miletus will also be a challenge. There is no ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) in Turkey and these areas are not developed with physical challenges in mind.

Hank

Hello Cruisemom42, if you are still checking this older thread, I would like to ask how difficult the climb is to Priene, Didyma, & Miletus. Would it compare to the climb down from the Terrace Houses, or the climb to the Acropolis?

We have done both but they were a once in a lifetime and we would not be able to make those climbs again. thank you so much for your help

Priene is up a steep hill (rather like the descent from the Terrace Houses at Ephesus) and once up, the terrain is extremely uneven and sloped. If you went, you'd realize why so many of the column drums have ended up at the bottom of the hill.

Miletus is a lot flatter but it is extremely spread out. If you only wanted to visit the well preserved stadium there, a private car could get you pretty close and it would be a flat walk from there (plus perhaps the baths which aren't TOO far, but not exactly close either).

Didyma would be the easiest. It is the remains of a very large temple but it is situated smack in the middle of the modern town. A car could drop you within feet of the entrance. Once there, the area has two levels. The upper level (where the entrance is) and a lower level that is accessed through a sloped tunnel -- I think there MAY also be steps down, but I cannot remember for sure as I didn't use them. It's certainly not a descent anything like as bad as the Terrace Houses.

Cruisemom42 and Hlitner,

Thank you so much for your very helpful information; so great of you both to be willing to share your travel experiences and help to those of us just beginning to plan.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if we will not be able to visit Priene, but I think we could make it to Miletus and Didya, .

Trying to decide if there is enough at Miletus and Didya to spend the day or if we should just return to Ephesus without the Terrace Houses.

Thank you again for your time and help, greatly appreciated

• 2 months later...
No it is not part of a ship tour we have booked a private tour he says it takes 2hours 10 minutes to get there and someone else on cruise critic said they did same trip and were back by 3.00 so I am not worried.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We did a land tour in Turkey and I remember travel from Kusadasi to Pamukkale on a bus took more than 3 hours. Maybe a smaller vehicle goes faster than a coach. Pictures here, half way down the page.

• 5 weeks later...
If you enjoy ruins but have seen Ephesus, another option is a private tour to see some of the other great ruins in the area.

Most private tours offer a full-day tour of Priene (ancient Greek city situated in a very picturesque setting atop a hill), Miletus (spectacular amphitheatre and some other Roman ruins), and Didyma (site of a huge Temple of Apollo that gives you an idea of the size and grandeur of the Temple of Artemis that has all but disappeared and was a wonder of the ancient world.)

I can highly recommend this tour, having taken it a few years ago -- and I will likely take it again next time I'm in Ephesus, in the fall.

I agree completely with these recommendations. There is a lot to see in that area beyond Ephesus.

On this our third visit to Kusadasi we shopped - great fun - but beware. Then, taking our life in our hands for a second time, we visited an out of town Hamam. We were sold tickets by a travel agent near one of the towns ancient Hamams which was closed. Taken by owner to an out of town Hamam. Myself, DH and 21 year old daughter. We were able to have all sections of the bath, (sauna, steam, salt,ham am, and final oil massage together. It was a great deal of fun!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...