Why I broke up with Azamara

Waswo

When I compare cruise lines I look for comparable cabins, so as we've cruised both Az & Seabourn I looked at comparable rooms which to me were a Continental Suite on Az (I think that's what it's called!) & a veranda suite on Seabourn. When you look at comparable cabins the per person per day charge works out to be roughly the same on many cruises.

OF COURSE....you can sail on Az in an inside cabin, or in an ocean view cabin or veranda cabin & that would lower the price. I was trying to look for a comparable experience on the two lines & so looked at comparable cabins.

I hope that helps! To my way of thinking, the experience on Az & Seabourn is very very similar - which means wonderful in every way! My beloved says that Seabourn has the edge by a nose...but that is refining things to a razor's edge. We love both lines & will evaluate options for future cruises based on (1) Itinerary & (2) per person per day charges, all else being equal.

Thanks. I'd be comparing plain balcony cabins. I think, for our requirements, the prices don't compare at all. Not that I can see, anyhow.

I also appreciate the clarification. Our comparison, out of financial necessity, is also balcony stateroom to balcony stateroom.

On several Seabourn ships, the balconies are French balconies, so that should also be considered. We had one of those, and luckily, it was an upgrade, and we did not pay for it as a balcony. I don't think it is worth paying for if you want a true balcony.

On several Seabourn ships, the balconies are French balconies, so that should also be considered. We had one of those, and luckily, it was an upgrade, and we did not pay for it as a balcony. I don't think it is worth paying for if you want a true balcony.

IMHO...if you only have a French balcony, then it's not really a balcony.

Remember that the newer Seabourn ships have true balconies & in my comparison I assume a true balcony & not the 'Juliet' ones on the older Seabourn ships.

One thing I find a scary glimpse into the future of cruise pricing is the pppd cost of Oceania cruises which are mostly in the $600+ range for a concierge balcony room. This includes 'free' airfare but no wine or beer package. If Oceania feels that they can get that & fill ships, Az cannot be far behind.

I know that late offers are the best, but I received an offer from Seabourn tonight for some spring 2014 cruises in the Mediterranean that were for less than $325/pppd.

GRANTED - these were long cruises of over 15 days so the total bill is not inexpensive, but still it goes to prove my point that you shouldn't assume that some lines viewed as "luxury beyond your means" are necessarily over your budget. There are deals out there that can bring them into your range if you weigh what you are getting on several levels. It may be that late booking gives you the most options if you are flexible as to cabin location.

ANYWAY....that's my two cents & I hope that it opens options up for people who might have thought that Azamara was as lux as they could afford. Shop it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread in January after a frustrating email and phone conversation with the landside Guest Relations Department over the 25% shore excursion cancellation. I also sent a letter to the Corporate Office three weeks ago with the email conversations printed. Finally, I replied to the Le Club announcement to ask how to retrieve past points about two weeks ago. NO response to my concerns. I have enjoyed the past Azamara cruises, but we did experience a different cruise line with comparable onboard life and excellent land connections. Hmmmm.

• 4 weeks later...

On August 20, 2013 I booked the AZAMARA JOURNEY cruise to Norway out of Hamburg for June 14, 2014. In one AZAMARA brochure it was stated that if 2014 cruises are booked by September 30, 2013, shore excursions would be discounted by 25% as long as they are booked at least 4 days prior to the cruise. I downloaded an excursion brochure for that cruise and it also stated that excursions would be discounted 25% as long as they are booked at least 4days prior to the cruise. Four days prior to the cruise was the only time constraint published but now I'm being told that "promotion" ended on January 3, 2014. At no time was the January 3, 2014 date mentioned. This is the kind of behavior I expect in a used car lot, not from a cruise line.

If I were not in the penalty period and had not already prepaid for my Choice Air I would cancel. This will be my last AZAMARA cruise.