Why I broke up with Azamara

Waswo

To us the lack of communication and web access makes you feel cut off from the cruise line, too many emails or flyers can be annoying but it's how we gather information on possible cruises we would like to do. With Azamara it at the moment it seems to be down to the customer to find out what they are doing, not being tempted with tasty propositions from the cruise line, we have done many cruises after the idea has been put into our minds in the first place.

If you enjoy a cruise line it's always nice to be updated on things that are happening such as enhancements to the ship or services, again it might persuade you to book a cruise just to try it out. We get daily posts on Facebook from Azamara that don't really say a lot and then link to a web site that just doesn't work!!!

Once booked it is important to be able to easily access the booking to check details, balance due & date due, book excursions etc. but with Azamara that is either difficult or not possible. With our November Journey cruise I can see the booking and there is a balance due figure but it's never the same or correct, yes I could phone Azamara but I would be hanging on the phone for 20+ minutes to do something I should be able to do online in seconds.

The cruise experience is always good but pre-cruise is frustrating, we have had to chase up flight details for our April cruse so that we could correctly arrange a hotel and parking at Heathrow. We should not have to do this it should just be available either online or with the booking confirmation.

We will stick with Azamara as we enjoy the product but there may come a time when enough is enough.

"If Azamara can make the shoreside team anything like their onboard team

then Azamara can justly be called Azamazing!

Hapicruisin"

It's an old problem and I don't think it will be solved.

They need competent people at the office, but when I email, I even don't get an email, or they start lying.

Not the way to keep your clients satisfied!

Since august 2013, stiil waiting for an answer of Bert van Middendorp at the office. He will be busy :)

After 12 Azamara Cruises, I will not return at the ships, before my questions are answered honestly.

About the ships and the crew.

Still good but not as it were some years ago.

Tha Azamazing evening? Less than nothing last time.

The quality of food and shows?

Not as it were before.

To day, not better than the big cruise lines.

Some of the officers like Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Russ Grieve, Tony Markey:

still outstanding!

Azamara - There was no way to book a cruise directly with you after hours (not even on the website). Thank goodness the price was still the same on Monday.

Everyone expects to be able to do these things on the web.

Regardless, loved my cruise on the Quest so much last summer that I just booked another. Love the size, the casualness, the inclusiveness and no worries due to everything basically being included, and of course the fabulous staff AND passengers.

Thank you!!

Donna

I am shocked that Azamara is doing nothing to remedy this pervasive problem with shore side issues. It is a big turn off.

I am looking forward to my September Azamara cruise, as it is part of a larger trip including Tuscany, but I am seriously considering canceling my b2b for 2015 unless things change. I have little confidence the line will still be around.

OK>. I can't take it anymore.... This is my first cruise with Azamara. I have previously sailed over 30 times on mass market lines.

I called.. got my room category and the promos that I asked for and every time I call to ask for info they answer me or ask someone else if they don't know.

I even signed up for the Free shore excursion promo,getting 4 excursions Free, and got the Email confirmation today. I got all 4 that I choose.

I don't understand ??? I would think folks sailing on a premium line would be more worldly and experienced ...

So what is the Problem? What are your expectations? A RCCL website? hmm :confused:

CC

OK>. I can't take it anymore.... This is my first cruise with Azamara. I have previously sailed over 30 times on mass market lines.

I called.. got my room category and the promos that I asked for and every time I call to ask for info they answer me or ask someone else if they don't know.

I even signed up for the Free shore excursion promo,getting 4 excursions Free, and got the Email confirmation today. I got all 4 that I choose.

I don't understand ??? I would think folks sailing on a premium line would be more worldly and experienced ...

So what is the Problem? What are your expectations? A RCCL website? hmm :confused:

CC

I, too, am a first time cruiser.

My expectations are that:

1) I will not be locked out of my reservation for over 3 weeks. (Never got locked out of a Royal Caribbean reservation)

1) I should be able to reserve my shore excursions on line and not have to telephone them in with a pick-up wait of 10 to 15 minutes. (never happened on Royal Caribbean's web site)

3) When I call and ask a question, I expect the person picking up the phone (again, after a much longer wait then ever experienced on Royal Caribbean) to give me the correct answer to my question. I thought I'd give my TA a break and ask it myself. I had to call the TA anyway, because the information I got was weird. I was told that I would get credit for the cruise but no benefits of Discover status because I got a good deal on my cruise. I cruised on Royal Caribbean for 7 days only paying $200 and using future cruise certificates given to me by the cruise line. I had my Diamond benefits on that cruise. My TA verified that the information was wrong, but I'm bringing everything I have that shows I'm Diamond and Elite with me, just in case.

4) I had to ask my cruise critic roll call when to expect notification that my documents were ready. I learned that they were ready and I had to log on to the web site to get them. Royal Caribbean always sent me an email.

5) on Royal Caribbean's web site I can make a reservation for the specialty restaurants before boarding. Can't do that with Azamara.

6) On Royal Caribbean's web site I can see what I paid for my cruise. On Azamara my reservation's price is listed as "N/A" Why isn't my payment available? If I hadn't booked within the 90 day period, I would have had no way to see what I still owed.

7) If I had had the same degree of frustration on Celebrity or Royal's web site as I had on Azamara's they would have offered me some OBC or at minimum a bottle of wine in the cabin. Azamara's rep had the chutzpah to tell me that the web site was broken "through no fault of their own" I gently reminded her that her company had released updates to their web site without testing them and thereby screwed everything up.

So, yes, I do expect a web site and shore-side service as good as I get from Royal Caribbean. When you look at the difference in pricing between the two lines, it's pretty sad that Azamara can't come up to to he standards of Royal Caribbean's shore-side service.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

I, too, am a first time cruiser.

My expectations are that:

1) I will not be locked out of my reservation for over 3 weeks. (Never got locked out of a Royal Caribbean reservation)

1) I should be able to reserve my shore excursions on line and not have to telephone them in with a pick-up wait of 10 to 15 minutes. (never happened on Royal Caribbean's web site)

3) When I call and ask a question, I expect the person picking up the phone (again, after a much longer wait then ever experienced on Royal Caribbean) to give me the correct answer to my question. I thought I'd give my TA a break and ask it myself. I had to call the TA anyway, because the information I got was weird. I was told that I would get credit for the cruise but no benefits of Discover status because I got a good deal on my cruise. I cruised on Royal Caribbean for 7 days only paying $200 and using future cruise certificates given to me by the cruise line. I had my Diamond benefits on that cruise. My TA verified that the information was wrong, but I'm bringing everything I have that shows I'm Diamond and Elite with me, just in case.

4) I had to ask my cruise critic roll call when to expect notification that my documents were ready. I learned that they were ready and I had to log on to the web site to get them. Royal Caribbean always sent me an email.

5) on Royal Caribbean's web site I can make a reservation for the specialty restaurants before boarding. Can't do that with Azamara.

6) On Royal Caribbean's web site I can see what I paid for my cruise. On Azamara my reservation's price is listed as "N/A" Why isn't my payment available? If I hadn't booked within the 90 day period, I would have had no way to see what I still owed.

7) If I had had the same degree of frustration on Celebrity or Royal's web site as I had on Azamara's they would have offered me some OBC or at minimum a bottle of wine in the cabin. Azamara's rep had the chutzpah to tell me that the web site was broken "through no fault of their own" I gently reminded her that her company had released updates to their web site without testing them and thereby screwed everything up.

So, yes, I do expect a web site and shore-side service as good as I get from Royal Caribbean. When you look at the difference in pricing between the two lines, it's pretty sad that Azamara can't come up to to he standards of Royal Caribbean's shore-side service.

Hence the problem here... this is not Royal or X and expectations should not be the same at all... it really should be a wholly owned subsidiary of RCI but it happens to be a division. It is not run and does not have the same budget and it is not "mass market" at all. It is like the dress code "country club casual"...like a small country club rather than a Chilis or Applebees. It's hard to explain via email but it's not meant to be like the other lines in any way shape or form.

If all those complaints about documents, being locked out of your res, knowing what you paid for your cruise etc etc.. that is what your TA is for. They can get access to your reservation, give you a copy of your invoice and let you know when your docs are ready.Actually they are not even suppose to talk to you when you call in if there is a TA on record.

Like I said I'm Diamond on RCCL but certainly don't have the same expectations... actually I prefer the one on one touch I get for them every time I call instead of the coldness of a website do it your self like Travelocity.. that is not their brand... IMHO :D

And to me the most important thing is when I arrive at the pier until I get into the cab to get home.. what is going to be my experience?

Edited by curiouscat

Hence the problem here... this is not Royal or X and expectations should not be the same at all... it really should be a wholly owned subsidiary of RCI but it happens to be a division. It is not run and does not have the same budget and it is not "mass market" at all. It is like the dress code "country club casual"...like a small country club rather than a Chilis or Applebees. It's hard to explain via email but it's not meant to be like the other lines in any way shape or form.

If all those complaints about documents, being locked out of your res, knowing what you paid for your cruise etc etc.. that is what your TA is for. They can get access to your reservation, give you a copy of your invoice and let you know when your docs are ready.Actually they are not even suppose to talk to you when you call in if there is a TA on record.

Like I said I'm Diamond on RCCL but certainly don't have the same expectations... actually I prefer the one on one touch I get for them every time I call instead of the coldness of a website do it your self like Travelocity.. that is not their brand... IMHO :D

And to me the most important thing is when I arrive at the pier until I get into the cab to get home.. what is going to be my experience?

I don't comprehend your excuse that Azamara, because it's a smaller ship and has a casual dress code, should not have a web site that works properly.

My TA was helpful with everything and did a great job trying to get Azamara to unlock my reservation, but I am a hands-on person and there are things I like to handle myself.

The web site is, for many people, the introduction to the cruise line. I can't find any excuse in this digital age for a web site as pathetic as Azamara's.

Neither do I

A premium cruise line should offer SUPERIOR service to the mainstream lines. Remember "bespoke?

Azamaras shoreside experience is an embarrassment. Their competitors put them to shame

If we keep making excuses for them they will never improve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't comprehend your excuse that Azamara, because it's a smaller ship and has a casual dress code, should not have a web site that works properly.

My TA was helpful with everything and did a great job trying to get Azamara to unlock my reservation, but I am a hands-on person and there are things I like to handle myself.

The web site is, for many people, the introduction to the cruise line. I can't find any excuse in this digital age for a web site as pathetic as Azamara's.

I am a hands on person also, but once you book through a TA, it is up to them to handle things and Azamara or X will not speak to you. Trust me, I know from experience. Last year X called my TA because I called them and had a couple of questions....then they learned I was already booked and "tattled" on me. :mad: :rolleyes: I do think there are other cruise lines that do the same as far as TA's go.

I am by no means a cheerleader for Azamara but honestly, we were really spoiled on our first cruise and I don't mean that to be a negative pun against X. Things will work out...you'll see. :D And, as Andy mentioned earlier, the website is "supposed" to be working better soon.

Sailed on Azamara twice last year...one cabin was a balcony and the other was the lowest category suite. Next cruise is on NCL in May. I received an email today from the concierge. He wanted to know what kind of pillows, towels and coffee that we wanted. He also would take care of spa appointments and dinner reservations. The NCL cabin is the lowest suite category. It is the same price as an inside on Azamara. Upscale isn't always superior just more expensive.

Curiouscat..On Azamara your expectations of the "whole experience" should be higher not lower as their price point is much higher..

Jancruz1

I am a hands on person also, but once you book through a TA, it is up to them to handle things and Azamara or X will not speak to you.

Not when it comes to booking excursions with the cruise line. That's something you "normally" do on the cruise line's web site.

Not when it comes to booking excursions with the cruise line. That's something you "normally" do on the cruise line's web site.

Absolutely

I am being pushed to the edge with the online checkin - it keeps saying I have conflicting information (I have triple checked, there is absolutely no conflict anywhere on the page) and defaulting to a page for me to enter an event - anniversary, birthday etc - we have no event entered and have no event to enter but we cannot progress beyond this point.

And I do not have time to spend ages on the phone trying to get this sorted - and yes I booked direct with Azamara which in the UK used to be a pleasant and productive experience

Sailed on Azamara twice last year...one cabin was a balcony and the other was the lowest category suite. Next cruise is on NCL in May. I received an email today from the concierge. He wanted to know what kind of pillows, towels and coffee that we wanted. He also would take care of spa appointments and dinner reservations. The NCL cabin is the lowest suite category. It is the same price as an inside on Azamara. Upscale isn't always superior just more expensive.

I sailed on NCL once. I would never sail on them again. By far, they were the worst. I would rather sail in an inside on Azamara than sail on NCL in an expensive suite. Rethink. Looking forward to my next cruise on the Journey. Loved my previous Azamara cruises.

I sailed on NCL once. I would never sail on them again. By far, they were the worst. I would rather sail in an inside on Azamara than sail on NCL in an expensive suite. Rethink. Looking forward to my next cruise on the Journey. Loved my previous Azamara cruises.

Though my claustrophobia prevents me from sailing in an inside cabin, I totally agree with you about NCL. If someone gave me free tickets, I would still not sail with them.

Norwegian was a decent line back in the 80's and early 90's when we sailed with them several times, but this Freestyle business along with a dirty ship the untrained crew and a dining experience that is worse than Applebees, is not for me.

I don't think that was the point but ur making it

If a lousy cheap line like ncl can provide excellent shoreside service, then a self proclaimed upscale line should do an even better job

If a lousy cheap line like ncl can provide excellent shoreside service, then a self proclaimed upscale line should do an even better job

This is the point of my reply to this thread.

BTW when was the last time any of you were on NCL? Have you sailed in their suites? Eaten in their specialty restaurants? Enjoyed the private pool for suites? Eaten in the private restaurant for suites? Our first cruise was in 1998 on the Old Norwegian Crown...we loved it. It got us hooked on cruising. Last spring I sailed on the NCL Epic in a STUDIO and loved it. This will be my 3rd cruise on NCL and my DH's 2nd on NCL. If a "lousy cheap line like NCL" can provide these amenities then why can't Azamara?

Well, perhaps the point is that it has to something do with allocation of resources.

It seems to me that we have to give Miami some credit for creating a wonderful ambience onboard and I suspect, in particular, that reflects an investment in and attention to their ships' crews.

That coincides with our priorities but we accept we might well be in the minority.

This is the point of my reply to this thread.

BTW when was the last time any of you were on NCL? Have you sailed in their suites? Eaten in their specialty restaurants? Enjoyed the private pool for suites? Eaten in the private restaurant for suites? Our first cruise was in 1998 on the Old Norwegian Crown...we loved it. It got us hooked on cruising. Last spring I sailed on the NCL Epic in a STUDIO and loved it. This will be my 3rd cruise on NCL and my DH's 2nd on NCL. If a "lousy cheap line like NCL" can provide these amenities then why can't Azamara?

Don't let the cruise snobs bother you, Granny. NCL is every bit as good as the other mass-market lines like Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, etc., while eschewing the pretentiousness of those that insist on the masquerade party called "formal nights."

We did the one-week cruise to Bermuda as a quick, inexpensive getaway this past summer and the osso bucco in the main dining room was as good or better than we had on Regent and the lobster tail was the best I've had on any cruise ship--maybe because it was based out of Boston. Cagney's and Le Bistro are excellent specialty restaurants, too.

Have a great time on your NCL cruise.

Don't let the cruise snobs bother you, Granny. NCL is every bit as good as the other mass-market lines like Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, etc., while eschewing the pretentiousness of those that insist on the masquerade party called "formal nights."

We did the one-week cruise to Bermuda as a quick, inexpensive getaway this past summer and the osso bucco in the main dining room was as good or better than we had on Regent and the lobster tail was the best I've had on any cruise ship--maybe because it was based out of Boston. Cagney's and Le Bistro are excellent specialty restaurants, too.

Have a great time on your NCL cruise.

Thanks for your input!

We're sailing to Bermuda out of NYC. Our first cruise was also to Bermuda. We love playing golf in Bermuda and there is nothing like sailing out of NYC. We plan to eat in a specialty restaurant every night. We are also looking forward to the amazing entertainment.

We just happen to enjoy a different experience every time we cruise. Can't tell you the best cruise or the worst...we enjoyed them all. We have never sailed on any of the 3 ships we have booked for the next year.... looking forward to the new ships.

We've seen tortured reasoning - mostly posted from cruisers who have never been on an Az ship - why posters will not cruise on Azamara again....but here's the real reason....

I got a brochure from Seabourn today, & the per person per day rates are lower than Azamara.

For many years the great thing about Azamara was that it was a bargain. It is not a bargain any longer. I don't see a great deal of difference these days in the quality of the Az vs Seabourn experience, esp on Seabourn's newer ships.

So there it is......IF I 'break' with Azamara (& I won't 'break' - I'll decide to go on this or that itinerary) it won't be for emotional reasons - it will be for practical reasons - itinerary & price.

We've seen tortured reasoning - mostly posted from cruisers who have never been on an Az ship - why posters will not cruise on Azamara again....but here's the real reason....

I got a brochure from Seabourn today, & the per person per day rates are lower than Azamara.

For many years the great thing about Azamara was that it was a bargain. It is not a bargain any longer. I don't see a great deal of difference these days in the quality of the Az vs Seabourn experience, esp on Seabourn's newer ships.

So there it is......IF I 'break' with Azamara (& I won't 'break' - I'll decide to go on this or that itinerary) it won't be for emotional reasons - it will be for practical reasons - itinerary & price.

Having sailed on the Quest I liked the country club casual dress code much more then I like formal dress. Never having sailed on Seabourn I'm interested to know if they have formal dress codes? With limiting myself to one suitcase I like packing light and sending / doing my laundry at the half way point of the cruise.

I also think Azamara has priced themselves a bit higher then I want to pay. Since i don't drink but a glass of wine sometimes with dinner I don't care to pay for an unlimited drink package in my fare. If you look at the alcohol packages on Celebrity or RCL it seems I'm paying $40 - $60 per day for an amenity I don't use.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Hi shedridt,

Are you in the UK? If so, could you point me to an example of a Seabourn cruise that's priced below an Azamara one for a comparable itinerary? I'm really curious as they all always seem so much more expensive than our forthcoming Azamara cruise.

Thanks.