Why I broke up with Azamara

Waswo

Just get a good TA to take care of your didlings with the Head Office.:):D

This is good advice. But keep in mind two things: (1) A TA has many other clients to watch over, so may not catch everything that would be important for you to know; and, (2) Azamara may not communicate all that effectively with TAs, either.

So...pay attention to the Azamara (or whatever cruise line you're sailing) pages on Cruise Critic, both general threads and roll calls.

Edited by marinaro44

Thank you for your feedback, Waswo.

I realize that this is probably a little too late, but I wanted to let you know how sorry we are that we have let you down enough that you have cancelled your voyage with us. While there seems to be some shortcomings pre-voyage, I know you would have loved your time onboard. The itineraries and the teams onboard are fantastic... Maybe next time you'll consider us again.

Our philosophy for inclusive items is quite basic. We will provide a great deal of amenities inclusive in your cruise fare, but we also have options if you would like to upgrade, maybe for a special celebration, or you simply would like to treat yourself. That's why meals (very delicious, by the way) are included in Discovery Restaurant and Window's Cafe, and there is a charge in our Specialty Restaurant. As you know, we include select standard spirits, international beers and wines at all ship bars and during lunch and dinner, but top-shelf brands are available at a surcharge. The same thing goes for bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas - the standard brands are inclusive, but the more high-end brands are available at a surcharge. We also include gratuities for waiters, bar staff and housekeepers, self-service laundry is complimentary and shuttle service to and from ports, where available in many ports.

As far as the communication goes, we are making some changes to that over the next 2 - 4 weeks. We have not communicated with our guests pre-voyage other than on transactional topics. We are in the final stages of putting that together, and throughout the year we will upgrade these ways of communicating with our guests prior to the voyage - as well as between voyages. Additionally, thanks to Cruise Critic members, it also appears that we have some issues with our email database, as several Cruise Critic members who have sailed with us - and / or have opted in to receive updates - have not heard from us. Our IT team is researching this as we speak, so we can get it fixed hopefully shortly.

Again, I am sorry that you have had a frustrating experience. I hope you will give us another chance - we would love that. I know our onboard teams would take very good care of you.

Sincerely,

Signe Bjorndal

Director of Global Marketing

Can you tell me why Coors Light is no longer offered as part of the inclusive beverage package? That is not an expensive beer...in fact, Bud Light is usually more expensive here in the states. That one I am not happy about since I cannot drink wine, which my husband feels Azamara does a great job with their wines. I do hope you address this.

I'm trying to remember back...under Plan Your Voyage, wasn't there a notice there about the 25% discount not being available after January 3?

I think the OP was frustrated by the website and poor communication by Azamara. I find the Azamara website not very user friendly. The only emails I've ever received from Azamara concern new offers. I can understand the OP's frustrations. I'm so glad CC was here to answer all the questions that I had before we sailed on Azamara. Azamara needs to "get people in the door

I have to agree, in part, with the OP. I am about to embark on my first Azamara cruise. My first impression was the horrible, broken web site. I was locked out of my reservation for several weeks. I had to call on the phone to book excursions. I could not even see my reservation.

Because I expressed my displeasure with the web site, I did get a phone call from a representative who assured me the site was going to be fixed the next day. It was and she called that day to make certain that I knew. I did appreciate that personal touch.

Because of my frustration, I did inquire if there would be any compensation for those of us who were locked out of our reservations. If the line were Celebrity there would have been an offer of a bottle of wine or some OBC. The Azamara rep I spoke with actually had the nerve to say that the web site was down "through no fault of their own" to which I replied something about their releasing an unusable and flawed web site was, indeed, their fault.

Normally I get an email from the cruise line telling me my documents are available. Azamara did not send me anything. I learned how to find my documents on CC.

Normally I get an email from the cruise line reminding me to book excursions, spa time, etc. Azamara sent no emails other than marketing cruises I had not booked.

Normally, I can book a reservation for a specialty restaurant on line. Not with Azamara.

I have been told by Azamara veterans that the onboard experience is second to none. I am sincerely hoping that that is the truth, as I am less than impressed with their shore-side management.

I did not cancel my cruise, though at times the frustration may have warranted it, because I feel I should give Azamara a chance to impress me with their onboard experience.

I'm trying to remember back...under Plan Your Voyage, wasn't there a notice there about the 25% discount not being available after January 3?

I was told that on the phone by an Azamara rep as well as my TA. Since my reservation was locked out of the web site, I would not have seen it there.

I was told that on the phone by an Azamara rep as well as my TA. Since my reservation was locked out of the web site, I would not have seen it there.

Ouch!!!!!:eek: :eek: Seriously, in cases like your's I believe Azamara should allow those people a certain amount of time to book their excursions on a retroactive basis and receive the 25% discount.

AzamaraJoel????????????? Is it possible you can make this happen?

We have a cruise booked with NCL for May. I was surfing the website today when I decided to check on our reservation. I was immediately prompted to what was available to book at this time. I booked some excursions and a dining package. My TA and I received email confirmation immediately. I received a welcome email when I first booked the cruise. I appreciate user friendly websites.

I have to agree, in part, with the OP. I am about to embark on my first Azamara cruise. My first impression was the horrible, broken web site. I was locked out of my reservation for several weeks. I had to call on the phone to book excursions. I could not even see my reservation.

Because I expressed my displeasure with the web site, I did get a phone call from a representative who assured me the site was going to be fixed the next day. It was and she called that day to make certain that I knew. I did appreciate that personal touch.

Because of my frustration, I did inquire if there would be any compensation for those of us who were locked out of our reservations. If the line were Celebrity there would have been an offer of a bottle of wine or some OBC. The Azamara rep I spoke with actually had the nerve to say that the web site was down "through no fault of their own" to which I replied something about their releasing an unusable and flawed web site was, indeed, their fault.

Normally I get an email from the cruise line telling me my documents are available. Azamara did not send me anything. I learned how to find my documents on CC.

Normally I get an email from the cruise line reminding me to book excursions, spa time, etc. Azamara sent no emails other than marketing cruises I had not booked.

Normally, I can book a reservation for a specialty restaurant on line. Not with Azamara.

I have been told by Azamara veterans that the onboard experience is second to none. I am sincerely hoping that that is the truth, as I am less than impressed with their shore-side management.

I did not cancel my cruise, though at times the frustration may have warranted it, because I feel I should give Azamara a chance to impress me with their onboard experience.

Hi Kellie Poodle,

It's unfortuante that RCCL's websites leave much to be desired. Celebrity's site has improved recently, but still needs work. At this point, Azamara's site may be the most frustrating, mostly due to the lack of viewing real-time cabin availability, and difficulty navigating areas such as shore excursions. For me, that's a big issue. While Azamara is promising an improved website in April, it's difficult to have high expectations, but I'm hoping for the best.

As for the onboard experience ? well, it's fantastic. I strongly believe that your onboard experience, and Azamara's incredible officers & crew, will *far outweigh* any negative experiences concerning shoreside and the website. When your Azamara cruise has ended, I hope you will return to our forum, and agree with how most of us feel about this sensitive topic.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Kellie Poodle,

It's unfortuante that RCCL's websites leave much to be desired. Celebrity's site has improved recently, but still needs work. At this point, Azamara's site may be the most frustrating, mostly due to the lack of viewing real-time cabin availability, and difficulty navigating areas such as shore excursions. For me, that's a big issue. While Azamara is promising an improved website in April, it's difficult to have high expectations, but I'm hoping for the best.

As for the onboard experience ? well, it's fantastic. I strongly believe that your onboard experience, and Azamara's incredible officers & crew, will *far outweigh* any negative experiences concerning shoreside and the website. When your Azamara cruise has ended, I hope you will return to our forum, and agree with how most of us feel about this sensitive topic.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise !

Thank you, Host Andy.

As you know I've sailed with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean many times. I have had much better phone service and less trouble with their web sites than with Azamara's. I am trusting everyone's assurance that I will have a great cruise so that is what I am planning to do. :)

Reading these posts it is fascinating to see how different we are.

I agree that it is nice to receive a welcome communication after a cruise has been booked but I am not sure that I want or expect much more after that.

In the run up to my last Celebrity cruise (August 2013) I was inundated with emails which after a while were an irritation. Just my opinion of course.

Incidentally, I was informed by both Celebrity and Azamara when my e-docs were available which I found very helpful.

We have a cruise booked with NCL for May. I was surfing the website today when I decided to check on our reservation. I was immediately prompted to what was available to book at this time. I booked some excursions and a dining package. My TA and I received email confirmation immediately. I received a welcome email when I first booked the cruise. I appreciate user friendly websites.

Granny you are spot on - when we booked an NCL cruise (direct from the website) last year, we immediately got a confirmation email and also a welcome email which really impressed my fiance too, we could pick our stateroom, look at all the excursions and book specialty restaurants (same experience plus more for the Epic) I think Azamara have to look to NCL as to operating a fully functioning website.

As for looking at future cruises, this worked for me but it was really cumbersome having to click onto the actual cruise and then click somewhere else for pricing and then saying ouch at the pricing!:eek:

Ooh and despite several requests I have never received an actual Azamara cruise brochure through the post - I know I can download one through the computer but it would be nice to show family and friends a brochure when they come round but I don't find the same issue with Oceania or Regent, if you want a mailed our brochure, you get one!

I don't find the same issue with Oceania or Regent, if you want a mailed our brochure, you get one!

...or two or three or eleven. I must get about 50 Oceania and Regent brochures a year. I've never sailed with either but may have inquired about one or two cruises.

I did get a brochure from Azamara recently, but never got an email regarding my documents being ready.

Just received an email from Azamara entitled "Free Land discoveries". At the top of the page was a box to call for a quote...ugh...I want to see how much when I'm surfing. Next box I clicked was entitled "View Eligible Voyages"...I clicked on the box and received the following message "Internet Explorer Could Not Find"...ugh again...but there was yet another box entitled "View of the details"...I clicked on the box and received the following message " Internet Explorer Could Not Find".....ugh...I deleted the email!!!!!!

Just received an email from Azamara entitled "Free Land discoveries". At the top of the page was a box to call for a quote...ugh...I want to see how much when I'm surfing. Next box I clicked was entitled "View Eligible Voyages"...I clicked on the box and received the following message "Internet Explorer Could Not Find"...ugh again...but there was yet another box entitled "View of the details"...I clicked on the box and received the following message " Internet Explorer Could Not Find".....ugh...I deleted the email!!!!!!

Hmmm. Received the same email this morning and was able to click on eligible sailings and also was able to check prices for one that looked interesting. However, price I saw was much more for 9 nights than we paid for 12 on our upcoming cruise.

I receive almost daily promotional materials in the mail from every cruise line we've been on (and some we haven't!) and occasionally one from Azamara. But I do receive regular emails from Azamara for their various promotions (don't know what the magic trick is to get these) I did not, however, receive anything from Azamara about my e documents being ready (for that matter, I didn't receive any notification from my TA either) Fortunately, as a past cruiser I knew to look on the website for check-in and found the documents easily. I guess I've been pretty lucky with the website...again, I don't know what the magic trick is.

mare

Granny you are spot on - when we booked an NCL cruise (direct from the website) last year, we immediately got a confirmation email and also a welcome email which really impressed my fiance too, we could pick our stateroom, look at all the excursions and book specialty restaurants (same experience plus more for the Epic) I think Azamara have to look to NCL as to operating a fully functioning website.

As for looking at future cruises, this worked for me but it was really cumbersome having to click onto the actual cruise and then click somewhere else for pricing and then saying ouch at the pricing!:eek:

Ooh and despite several requests I have never received an actual Azamara cruise brochure through the post - I know I can download one through the computer but it would be nice to show family and friends a brochure when they come round but I don't find the same issue with Oceania or Regent, if you want a mailed our brochure, you get one!

Kikki21,

I also had problems getting a brochure and complained via the Captain's club and received a copy the following day.

If you are a Captain's Club member sure this approach would work for you too.

Looking forward to meeting you on June 21

Waswo - I understand completely. It's easy to become disenchanted with how Azamara communicates with past and prospective passengers. They may say otherwise, but their behavior suggests that they really don't value customer engagement. How difficult can it be to welcome a new customer by email? Or send an alert that a promotion is about to expire? Or respond to repeated requests for inclusion in marketing emails? That's the norm for many of their competitors, yet not so for Azamara. Their silence leaves many customers, past and future, feeling under appreciated. This forum is rife with such comments.

Yet the on-board experience on Azamara is the exact opposite. Every passenger is made to feel truly welcome and appreciated. It's a very engaging and personal experience. But of course, if customers don't make it on-board because of their dissatisfaction with shoreside, they'll never know that. Methinks Azamara would love to do better but it's a resource allocation issue. They need to apply scarce resources elsewhere and customer communication suffers. But as you demonstrate, at what cost?

Agree completely. The shore experience undermines the brand. Apparently it is now a deal killer for some.

Kikki21,

I also had problems getting a brochure and complained via the Captain's club and received a copy the following day.

If you are a Captain's Club member sure this approach would work for you too.

Looking forward to meeting you on June 21

I recvd a brochure in the mail just last week

Emails are a horse of a different color.....

azamara's issues are clearly, as someone else mentioned, a matter of resource allocation as determined by RCI. No real dollars are spent on communication as all available dollars allocated go to keep the aging sisters presentable. It costs little to handle shore-side communications/bookings as these folks handle other RCI bookings- hence the complete lack of knowledge about the AZ product. Bottom line is that RCI is keeping the investment in communication at the absolute minimum level-only so many dollars available.

Now think about the ships. They are clearly in need of major renovations to keep up with the competition. A major competitor is about to spend 50 mil on their 3 ships. Yet AZ has lock- jaw when asked about their plans to upgrade. Yes, their crew is phenomenal, but that will only keep you afloat for so long. Eventually, major dollars must be spent on the ships and AZ's relationship with new and existing clients. If it is not spent in this year, start writing the obits in my opinion. Why do I get at least 1 mailing every week from AZ's competitors, but only 1 every 6 months from AZ?

It's all about the investment RCI is willing to make in AZ. And, to date it seems not very much.

azamara's issues are clearly, as someone else mentioned, a matter of resource allocation as determined by RCI. No real dollars are spent on communication as all available dollars allocated go to keep the aging sisters presentable. It costs little to handle shore-side communications/bookings as these folks handle other RCI bookings- hence the complete lack of knowledge about the AZ product. Bottom line is that RCI is keeping the investment in communication at the absolute minimum level-only so many dollars available.

Now think about the ships. They are clearly in need of major renovations to keep up with the competition. A major competitor is about to spend 50 mil on their 3 ships. Yet AZ has lock- jaw when asked about their plans to upgrade. Yes, their crew is phenomenal, but that will only keep you afloat for so long. Eventually, major dollars must be spent on the ships and AZ's relationship with new and existing clients. If it is not spent in this year, start writing the obits in my opinion. Why do I get at least 1 mailing every week from AZ's competitors, but only 1 every 6 months from AZ?

It's all about the investment RCI is willing to make in AZ. And, to date it seems not very much.

I posted a similar message a while back. The Azamara fanatics don't seem to think this is a problem. I agree with you completely. If no investment is made in the ships, marketing and communication, I do not believe Azamara can survive for the long haul