Secret Harbor - Can you get Chairs/Umbrella's or not? Getting different answers

sbnuggie

Okay,

So our original plan was to hit Sapphire Beach from 11am to 3pm for some snorkeling and beach time after spending the morning doing some shopping. But after reading about no more dive shop renting chairs/umbrella's snorkel gear we've been looking at Secret Harbor or even Coki.

The day we are in port there is only our ship, the Valor, so Coki is an option but am intrigued by Secret Harbor. HOWEVER I have read mixed reviews about whether you can rent Chairs/Umbrella's at the beach or not.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as my wife is as white as the driven snow, she loves the sun and beach but she needs to be under an umbrella ;) or she ends up a lobster.

So can anyone confirm if you can rent a chair/umbrella and snorkel equipment at Secret Harbor and if so, from whom?

Since there is only one ship in port we may just hit Coki since it shouldn't be too crowded.

Our requirements are: Chair/Umbrella, good snorkeling, away from the party crowd and food/drink access.

Sapphire sounded ideal but doesn't look like it will pan out for us this time.

Thanks for your help.

I can not help you on your answers. We are doing the same cruise as you in March and our group is still going to Sapphire beach. The ones who want to snorkel will have their own stuff.

I can not let the politics, whatever they may be with the locals keep us from spending the day there.

It seems only the dive shop is effecting our stay as the food and drinks are still being served.

SH has a complete dive shop and they rent snorkling/scuba gear. You can get lounge chairs but no umbrella. The chairs are rented from the dive shop on the right side of the beach facing the water. When you rent them they tell you not to drag them over to the left side of the beach where all the shade trees are. This is a dive shop restriction and has nothing to do with where you can put them as far as the resort is concerned. The reason for this is the dive shop has to collect the chairs at the end of the day and the one girl that works there doesn't want to go drag them 100 yards back where they belong.

The first time we were there she let me take them to the shady part if I agreed to take them back which I did. Since then we bring our own chairs and sit wherever we want. Buying chairs is expensive and probably not feasible for a one day visit.

There are a few beaches where you can rent chairs and umbrellas if needed but they really don't have good snorkeling. Coki has great snorkeling but I'm not sure if they rent chairs there. I know they don't have umbrellas. It's a north facing beach so if you get there before the crowds you should have no problem finding some shade. With the facilities at Sapphire closed for the time being the other beaches on the Island are going to become a lot more crowded. Understanding that I would reverse your plan and go to the beach first as the available shade, chairs and umbrellas are going to be in short supply as the day goes on.

The other alternative is to head right to St John. The snorkeling is good, two of the main beaches rent chairs and gear. The beaches are north facing so there should be ample shade available and the shopping and food in Cruz Bay is pretty good.

We've looked at condos at Secret Harbour and also spent time there on early visits to STT before changing to Sapphire. The resort has always had a policy for day guests vs resort guests and I asked them today for clarity just to make sure nothing has changed and their response is below. I would just hate for someone to go there based on some of this information and find out it's not accurate. They may very well make allowances on days when they're not at full capacity but it's not the norm so you may be disappointed if you're looking for shade.

If you are renting a chair from the dive shop, you must keep the chair on the half of the beach nearest the dive shop. The guests are more than welcome to go to any part of the beach with their towels, or their personal chairs, as all beaches in the US Virgin Islands are public, but if you have a chair from the dive shop, you must stay on the side closest to the dive shop.

Edited by blue_water

I have written to SH and the dive shop and understand they have both chairs AND umbrellas to rent - altho I suspect of limited quantity???

If you are renting a chair from the dive shop, you must keep the chair on the half of the beach nearest the dive shop. The guests are more than welcome to go to any part of the beach with their towels, or their personal chairs, as all beaches in the US Virgin Islands are public, but if you have a chair from the dive shop, you must stay on the side closest to the dive shop.

I also confirm the above - but perhaps it is true that the chairs must be placed their for 'convenience' rather than any resort rules? Very strange....

May need to make further inquiries?

Edited by Froufie

The dive shop is a concessionaire of the resort. The resort allowed them to rent a certain number of chairs, but they must stay in front of the dive shop. I do not know if there actually are umbrellas. If you must have these, you might want to go elsewhere.

Here is the response I got back from SH re chairs/umbrellas:

We are thrilled that you would like to join us on our beautiful property for the day during your visit to the beautiful island of St. Thomas.

Transportation: You can take a taxi to the resort, from the cruise ship. It will be about $10 per person.

The cost to rent a chair is $10. The dive shop also rents out umbrellas.

We look forward to having you!

Ahh so the ambiguity still exists, appears chairs are available but maybe not umbrellas.

like already mentioned would hate to get there and have no umbrella avail and then have wife sunburned and yelling at me that it's all my fault :-).

Snorkeling is what I'm looking for the most....there's gotta be a happy medium here somewhere

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ahh so the ambiguity still exists, appears chairs are available but maybe not umbrellas.

like already mentioned would hate to get there and have no umbrella avail and then have wife sunburned and yelling at me that it's all my fault :-).

Snorkeling is what I'm looking for the most....there's gotta be a happy medium here somewhere

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What ambiguity? Both SH and the dive shop have confirmed they have umbrellas for rent??? I guess the earlier you get there the better - but this would apply to other spots as well - I assume no one has 'unlimited' umbrellas? LOL :)

So here is the response from the dive center shop located at Secret Harbour in regard to chairs/placement, etc:

By formal agreement with our host resort (which has their own chairs that are provided to their registered guests), we can only rent 25 chairs and they can't go past the restaurant (not sure if this what is being referred to as the "shady" part of the beach or not) - so this restriction does not have to do with dragging the chairs back - it IS indeed the resort that sets those limits.

My concern is getting there later since our ship docks at 11 am - and we may do some shopping first - only to find there are no more chairs/umbrellas avaiable....which would be such a waste of time/effort/$$$ - given they can only rent 25 of them?

I believe that since Sapphire is out of commission for the moment more cruisers will be visiting SH as another option and other tour operators are offering it as well. (I know Sunny Liston is now offering it as an option instead of Sapphire along with Megan's and Coki of course)....

So may have to consider another beach which is bigger with no restrictions in regard to # of chairs/umbrellas and/or the availability of shade if required - considering Emerald Beach/Lindbergh instead perhaps?:rolleyes:

Edited by Froufie

Yes too bad everyone has to adjust to the new conditions. There will be some impact at the smaller beaches from Sapphire being less an option, but at least Sapphire didn't usually get as crowded as the rest so shouldn't be a significant difference. But Coki and SH are so small that it will be noticeable.

The problem with SH is they have a limited number of chairs and space for day visitors - this is a condo resort and this is their policy, the best part of the beach is reserved for resort guests because it's a small bay.You can still enjoy any part of the beach on a towel, but you will not have shade unless you can get an umbrella. So get there early! Sapphire has room to spread out and isn't as confined as SH.

Coki on the other hand has several vendors and is an entirely different vibe but a good option for snorkeling with amenities.

Lindbergh is a good choice now if snorkeling isn't a priority, and Magens is always a non-snorkeling beach choice as well.

The beaches of STT are really beautiful, hopefully you (and I) will be there on the only ship in port that day to enjoy one :)

Edited by blue_water

Well, we appear to be lucky in that our ship will be in port that day so we are gonna take the gamble and stick to our original plan:

Shopping first until about 11am ish, then taxi to SH for 3 hours of beach and snorkel time, hopefully snag a chair/umbrella drinks and some food, then head on back to the ship no later then 3-30Pm.

If we get to SH and nothing avail, we may just jump over to Coki beach.

I'll report back what I find, will be in St. Thomas 7 days from now, wish us luck. Thanks all for your advice.

Odds are there will be no umbrellas avail going late in the day so you will be missing your most important requirement (umbrella for your wife). You may want to re-think your plan and head for SH early and do some shopping before heading back to the ship. Being docked at Havensight makes that very doable.

You may get lucky, but I know your first priority was an umbrella and good snorkeling.

Good luck either way!

Edited by blue_water

Well, we appear to be lucky in that our ship will be in port that day so we are gonna take the gamble and stick to our original plan:

Shopping first until about 11am ish, then taxi to SH for 3 hours of beach and snorkel time, hopefully snag a chair/umbrella drinks and some food, then head on back to the ship no later then 3-30Pm.

If we get to SH and nothing avail, we may just jump over to Coki beach.

I'll report back what I find, will be in St. Thomas 7 days from now, wish us luck. Thanks all for your advice.

Odds are there will be no umbrellas avail going late in the day so you will be missing your most important requirement (umbrella for your wife). You may want to re-think your plan and head for SH early and do some shopping before heading back to the ship. Being docked at Havensight makes that very doable.

You may get lucky, but I know your first priority was an umbrella and good snorkeling.

Good luck either way!

If you contact aadivers.com - the dive shop at SH - I understand you are able to reserve in advance - so you may wish to do that if the umbrella is a priority!

If you contact aadivers.com - the dive shop at SH - I understand you are able to reserve in advance - so you may wish to do that if the umbrella is a priority!

Sshhh...

Oops, all gone!

Really that would solve everyone's problem so if they do hold them you'd better book way ahead! :p

But I doubt they do unless they require pmt up-front with no same-day cancellations.

Check it out!