Enclosed Balcony on Dawn!

OhioGirl

Until today when I paid my final payment was I aware there was such a thing as an enclosed Balcony...has anyone sailed with one...and if so, what did you think? Should we try to get moved? Thanks in advance for any input!

Until today when I paid my final payment was I aware there was such a thing as an enclosed Balcony...has anyone sailed with one...and if so, what did you think? Should we try to get moved? Thanks in advance for any input!

I think I stayed in one once. Typical balconies have a wooden railing with plexiglass below. My balcony had a metal wall to a regular railing height, and some metal coming down from the ceiling as well.

I didn't like it. It very much cuts down on the amount of light you get. When I was sitting down, all I could see was white metal walls and some sky... and I really like to see the sea! I also like to look up at the stars from bed and that was much tougher to do since there was much less of an opening to look thru.

If cost is an issue for you, it's definitely true that an enclosed balcony is better than NO balcony.

Which ones are enclosed....I do not want one of those...we are on deck 10 midship.

Deck eight forward. Keep watching the prices. We were able to upgrade from a deck 10 balcony to a deck 11 minisuite for nothing last November when the prices dropped. Mini is nice because it has a little more cabin space and balcony size.

I think I stayed in one once. Typical balconies have a wooden railing with plexiglass below. My balcony had a metal wall to a regular railing height, and some metal coming down from the ceiling as well.

The hull balconies on the Dawn and Pearl do NOT have metal below the railing - it's still glass. On the Epic, it's metal. But not on the Dawn and Pearl. If you can look at some pictures of the Dawn (forward), you will see what I mean. It's true the opening is a few inches less on either side and you can't peer around the edge to your neighbor's balcony (!) but other than that they are pretty much the same as a regular balcony.

I was in one on the Jewel, and I think Dawn's are similar to Jewel's (OTOH, Epic's are different from the rest, so, for your purposes, disregard any threads about Epic's enclosed balconies).

I was happy with the enclosed balcony on Jewel, and DH actually preferred it. He liked the extra privacy and loves shade. I liked the extra protection from wind and rain, though I hope you do not encounter much of those on your cruise. I used the lower metal area as a low footrest (maybe 12 inches or so up) and found it comfortable. Plenty of unobstructed view. I would be happy to sail in one again.

Here is a picture that should give you an idea of what to expect:

The first one is of the Dawn...the "hull balconies" are like the one with the red circle around it whereas the regular balconies are shown one deck up and to the left. The second one is of a hull balcony on the Pearl, looking out from the cabin.

dawnDeck8.jpg.f316fb3e6ea70fd6a90a7b0e5b9bca6b.jpg

724130488_NCL-Pearl-HullBalcony1.jpg.53edf301236a88e1618b0d90e5d847e3.jpg

The first one is of the Dawn...the "hull balconies" are like the one with the red circle around it whereas the regular balconies are shown one deck up and to the left. The second one is of a hull balcony on the Pearl, looking out from the cabin.

Thanks for the pictures! That helps alot!

We have one for our 12d British Isles on the Star and think it will be great since it's in September (rainy season in UK?) so we'll still be able to enjoy our balcony even if it's a bit cool.

It actually states right on our reservation "This cabin has an enclosed balcony." but I still think it'll be kinda neat. We've had regular balcony cabin, mini-suite and an aft-PH, so this will be a bit different.

Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy your cruise, it's only temporary, unfortunately.

Edited by B6ConMe

Thanks for the information! I'm sure it will be ok! I just hate to find out just when we are paying our final payment...guess I should have researched it a little more! Live and learn!

I understand how you feel. Mine was assigned from a guarantee booking. I knew I could get an enclosed one, and I did. I was a bit concerned when I saw the assignment, but it worked out fine. I'd willingly take that cabin again.

The enclosed balconies are much more private as they have solid walls plus the framed opening. So no peeping neighbors or curious children. Perhaps the most private way to join the balcony club;). Have a great cruise.

Those photo's make it easy to discern the difference, thanks for posting...

One other question the photo's raise for myself.....since the 'hull balconies', appear to be taken from space within the cabin, as opposed to the 'outside balconies', which extend out beyond the hull....are the hull cabins slightly smaller inside? It would seem to be that way, unless the deck plan alters to extend those cabins inward more to compensate...

I liked it. There is a pic in my review in my signature.

Thank you for the sharing your review and picture of the enclosed balcony! I'm a lot less stressed about it! (of course if the upgrade fairy seems fit to offer us an upgrade, I would be ok with that also! LOL!)

• 3 weeks later...

We now have 13 people sailing with us...all balcony cabins...but all over the ship! Maybe the upgrade fairy will look upon our little group, and try to get us all in row...all balcony, or mini-suites...etc! Guess next time, we'll wait until everyone is ready to book, and book all at once...so we can try to be closer together! Please upgrade fairy...help us out...(on cruise April 13-20, 2014 on the Dawn!

Thank you for the sharing your review and picture of the enclosed balcony! I'm a lot less stressed about it! (of course if the upgrade fairy seems fit to offer us an upgrade, I would be ok with that also! LOL!)

We had 11062 (a mini suite) on our first trip on the Dawn. We loved it! If they want to upgrade you to that room, I would definitely take it. It was not noisy at all, and just one level up to the pool and buffet :). Enjoy your cruise. I love the Dawn!!

We had 11062 (a mini suite) on our first trip on the Dawn. We loved it! If they want to upgrade you to that room, I would definitely take it. It was not noisy at all, and just one level up to the pool and buffet :). Enjoy your cruise. I love the Dawn!!

Thanks!