Asking a questions about a time-old problem

wynlyn

OP, instead of wading through possible replies that say "maybe" and "I think", please read the info at the link below and make your decision. I will give you that link and refrain from any further comments, which surely are due considering the disrespectful way you posted here and then pretty much commanded others not to engage you. :(

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225 <---Cruise Critic smoking policies article, click here

I would not have any problem with the e-cigs, but I can see where the visible use of them would open a flood of abuses by some with real cigs who figure the crew was not going to approach everyone they saw smoking in the distance to verify what he was smoking.

I believe there is also a real safety concern for the e-cigs when recharging them. I have seen reports of the filters, which is what contains the battery and gets recharged, literally exploding and causing fire danger. Anything with the potential of causing a fire is not going to be allowed by the cruise lines.

I have seen several news reports lately of e-cigs exploding when recharging. One burst into flames and exploded across the room. Had the person not been present, surely a terrible fire would have resulted. I have not seen such reports of cameras and laptops exploding in that way. That is not to say anything cannot happen but this seems to be a real problem with some of the e-cigs if various reports are being aired.

I have seen several news reports lately of e-cigs exploding when recharging. One burst into flames and exploded across the room. Had the person not been present, surely a terrible fire would have resulted. I have not seen such reports of cameras and laptops exploding in that way. That is not to say anything cannot happen but this seems to be a real problem with some of the e-cigs if various reports are being aired.

Don't have blinders on because many things have exploded and started fires while people are recharging items. Computers and cell phones lead the way, likely because so many people own so many of them. I do not know of any reports of e-cigs bursting into flames but would think the possibility exists.

And if you do a quick google search on laptops and cell phones batteries, you will see they have many more explosions. Not sure why you pick on e-cigaretts and not the others.

Re people mistaking e-cigs for the real thing, my daughter told me this. In some hip New York bars there is a new behaviour. When an outraged person orders an e-cig user to put out their cigarette, the user holds the illuminated end of the e-cig up against the middle of their forehead. It's not a real coal, and it's not hot. Chillax Dude! it's not a real burning tube of tobacco!

As for people who say they object to e-cigs because they don't like the look of them, what???? I don't like the look of size 14 people wearing size 10 pants, but that doesn't give me the right to tell them what to wear.

And if you do a quick google search on laptops and cell phones batteries, you will see they have many more explosions. Not sure why you pick on e-cigaretts and not the others.

The subject of this thread is e-cigarettes not a discussion of cell phones or laptops.

E-cigarette batteries are pertinent to the thread.

Excuse me but you were the one that started the comparisons, not me.

I was responding to your statement saying that you had not seen any reports of other items exploding. My point is that items that get recharged always have the possibility of exploding, I was pointing out that this is not specific to an e-cigarette.

The subject of this thread is e-cigarettes not a discussion of cell phones or laptops.

E-cigarette batteries are pertinent to the thread.

What is pertinent is whether e-cigs are more likely than other devices to malfunction and burn but which no one has proposed banning.

What is pertinent is whether e-cigs are more likely than other devices to malfunction and burn but which no one has proposed banning.

Correctly stated. To my knowledge, there has only been one report in the media of this happening. if there are instances I am willing to stand corrected.

Bottom line: The cruise lines all sell cartons of cigarettes in their shops onboard. When people stop buying them, that is the day they will go to "smoke free". Until then...well...I'm gonna smoke where it is permitted, and vape with my e-cig in my cabin....and although I will always be polite, I am no longer going to suck up (forgive the pun) to rude, and judgemental non-smokers.

Both my husband and I get very annoyed and frustrated trying to find a cruise line that allows us to smoke on our private balcony - we are now using the electronic cigarettes, but have been advised by various cruise lines that the electronic cigarettes are being classed in the same category as the real thing - WHATTHA - yes, we might be smokers but we are also trying to be considerate to non-smokers - can anyone recommend a cruise line that does not discriminate between smokers & non-smokers and that still allow smoking on private suite balconies. We have always tried to pick suites at the back of the ships so that our smoking doesn't upset others - it's becoming increasingly obvious that non-smokers are ruling the high seas!! :)

BTW - if ANY non-smokers object to this question, please just ignore the temptation of making any snide remark, we've heard them all before and it will fall on deaf ears - at least we're both trying to do the right thing :rolleyes:

HAL allows smoking on the balconies.