Rooms with sofa beds - question please

sassyb69

We have booked a cruise of AOS later this year and are cruising with my teenage daughter in a D1 balcony room. The room has a sofa bed but I was wondering if they make it up as a double or a single. Also does the room steward turn it back into a sofa in the day and then make it up as a bed in the evening, or will it stay made up as a bed throughout the trip.

We have cruised with different companies and had different approaches so was wondering what to expect with RCI

I have emailed them direct but not had an answer

Thanks

Sarah

Edited by sassyb69
Correction to cabin

Hi there

The sofa bed pulls out to a double and is made up as a double. Our experience has been that the stateroom attendant made the bed when we were out for dinner and it was all tidied away in the day whilst we were out. This also happened with the bed that is pulled out from the wall. There is usually a curtain that pulls across between the sofa bed and the main bed for a little privacy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; if the sofa bed isn't put away in the day and you would prefer it to be, just ask your stateroom attendant as they are normally very accommodating.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi there

The sofa bed pulls out to a double and is made up as a double. Our experience has been that the stateroom attendant made the bed when we were out for dinner and it was all tidied away in the day whilst we were out. This also happened with the bed that is pulled out from the wall. There is usually a curtain that pulls across between the sofa bed and the main bed for a little privacy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; if the sofa bed isn't put away in the day and you would prefer it to be, just ask your stateroom attendant as they are normally very accommodating.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely ask them to put the bed away in the day if that's an option so we have a bit more room to get ready. :)

We have booked a cruise of AOS later this year and are cruising with my teenage daughter in a D1 balcony room. The room has a sofa bed but I was wondering if they make it up as a double or a single. Also does the room steward turn it back into a sofa in the day and then make it up as a bed in the evening, or will it stay made up as a bed throughout the trip.

We have cruised with different companies and had different approaches so was wondering what to expect with RCI

Thanks

Sarah

Asuuming that AOS means Allure of the Seas. They fold up the sofa bed every day, if for no other reason that the cabins are so small there is hardly any floor space remaining with the bed folded out. Ther are also no curtins between the sofa bed and the regular bed. There are a lot of great things about Allure/Oasis but the cabin size isn't one of the best features. I hope some of the newer ships have slightly larger cabins.

We've been on 5 RCCL ships and all had a curtain between the sofa bed and main bed. But most of them don't come out far, maybe 4 feet. We've always thought it would be nice if the curtain was bigger.

It can depend on your stateroom category and ship. We have had both on many RCCL ships

Thanks

Sarah

You got you initial ? answered but ....

If she finds the sofa bed a tad hard just ask for an extra egg crate topper.

Have fun.

Thanks

Sarah

We just got off the Serenade with 3 adults in the bigger balcony cabin. The sofa bed was left out during the day which really wasn't a problem (since we didn't spend time in the cabin during the day). But to call it a double bed is stretching it. The back 1/4 to 1/3 of the bed sloped down to the floor and you don't sleep with your head to the back of the sofa but with your head at either of the arm rests.

You got you initial ? answered but ....

If she finds the sofa bed a tad hard just ask for an extra egg crate topper.

Have fun.

Thanks that's a good tip as I hadn't heard of an egg crate topper so didn't know that was an option.

I knew it was worth posting my question on this forum :D

If you have an egg crate topper on a sofa bed, does that mean the bed is left opened out during the day? If not, where do they store the egg crate thing-y?

Good question, I hadn't thought of that. Does anyone know. My preference is to turn it back to sofa during day if possible.

I guess they would also need to store the rest of the bedding in this scenario so maybe there is somewhere they keep it when not in use.

If you have an egg crate topper on a sofa bed, does that mean the bed is left opened out during the day? If not, where do they store the egg crate thing-y?

I am not sure, but they make it disappear. My guess is that they fold it up inside the sofa.

:)

It is also possible that they put it under the main bed in a plastic bag, like other unused bedding.

Our sofa bed was always put away during the day (yes RC room stewards are super). I will say that my son (who was 16 at the time) ended up with a bad backache from sleeping on it. He did ask for the eggcrate but I can't remember if he got it added on.

Yes, saying these sofabeds are doubles it TOTALLY stretching it. If I had to sleep on one with my hubby, one of us would end up in the floor before morning. Did I mention I'm only 5'1"? The sofa beds are more like a oversized single (or at least the ones in our cabins have).

:o

Our sofa bed was always put away during the day (yes RC room stewards are super). I will say that my son (who was 16 at the time) ended up with a bad backache from sleeping on it. He did ask for the eggcrate but I can't remember if he got it added on.

Yes, saying these sofabeds are doubles it TOTALLY stretching it. If I had to sleep on one with my hubby, one of us would end up in the floor before morning. Did I mention I'm only 5'1"? The sofa beds are more like a oversized single (or at least the ones in our cabins have).

:o

Luckily my daughter isn't that tall so hopefully she won't be too uncomfortable. She slept on one on Carnival ship last year and that worked ok but they kept it as a single.

They do advertise the room as sleeping 4 but sounds like they are basing that on 2 small children using the sofa bed then.

I am not sure, but they make it disappear. My guess is that they fold it up inside the sofa.

:)

It is also possible that they put it under the main bed in a plastic bag, like other unused bedding.

Carol, when you had one in our suite on the Serenade, they put it behind the sofa during the day.

We were on los this past Nov. and my 6ft son slept on it and said it was fine. Not the best but doable. We did have a egg crate on it and our steward asked if he could leave it opened up because it was difficult trying to find a place for it each day. I said it was fine because we had suite 1400 which is quite large. I actually slept on it and thought it was find also. But ask for an egg crate made a big difference.