Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

You can do a lot of drinking between 500 PM from when you get back to the ship from visiting a port and 100 AM when you go to bed. That's 8 hours.... 1 drink as soon as you get back, 2 drinks before dinner, 2 drinks with dinner, 2 drinks after dinner. You've hit your quota and it's only midnight. ;)

I'm in my late 20's and while I can easily do that or a bit more (and almost definitely will) two or three nights of my cruise, even I can't keep that pace for an entire week. Maybe 5 years ago I could (but even in '08 I remember being nicely buzzed most of my cruise with a bar tab under $250pp). I guess I've been learning on these drink package threads that I am not nearly as big of a drinker as I thought I was.

I guess your understanding of hoarding is different than mine. I do not consider taking 2 beers back to the cabin and enjoying them on the balcony while I drink a glass of wine unreasonable.

Sorry, bad word then. But the point is valid. They're not going to give you two glasses of wine at the same time to take back to the cabin either. And if friends come over and visit/hang out on the balcony with them, are they REALLY not going to offer them beers from that bucket?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Sorry, bad word then. But the point is valid. They're not going to give you two glasses of wine at the same time to take back to the cabin either. And if friends come over and visit/hang out on the balcony with them, are they REALLY not going to offer them beers from that bucket?

I can understand RCLs take on why they cannot give a bucket of beer because it can be shared. Honestly, that never even came to my mind until I read all these posts. I do not touch beer and the other person traveling with us in another cabin is a wine drinker also.

I would not have to worry about trying to get 2 glasses of wine at a time, as there is no way I would purchase a beverage package. The 2 bottles of wine that you are allowed to bring on board will definitely last me the full week.

I believe she suggested that so he could take a beer or two back to the room to drink while sitting on the balcony relaxing. Not sure they would give him the beer without opening it.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of the post. Since the cost of the bucket was included I couldn't figure out how that related to getting individual beers that have no cost other than the original package cost.

There is a real easy solution...bring a collapsible cooler from home and have it filled with ice from your cabin steward. The OP's DH can then go to Bar A, order an unopened beer and place it in said cooler. Go to Bar B, get an opened beer and relax in lounger poolside enjoying opened beer while back up is chilling next to him in cooler. Continue ordering backup beers from waiter/waitress working the pool area and then leave said area with 2 back up beers to take back to the cabin so that he can enjoy them on the balcony.

Unless RCI's policy is different from Carnival's or Celebrity's, there should be no problem ordering an unopened beer.

In response to the OP's original question, I did find it worth it. I had the premium package. Next time I'm going to go with the ultimate package. There were things I like to drink on a cruise when I have my evening cigar that aren't covered in the premium package. I tend to drink more on a cruise, but I never get drunk! Don't like the aftermath!

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of the post. Since the cost of the bucket was included I couldn't figure out how that related to getting individual beers that have no cost other than the original package cost.

Really I was just trying to find a way for the OP to make her hubby happy. He wants to be able to have a bucket next to him poolside and then take a couple back to the room with him.

I personally could care less. Both my husband and I will have the premium package. We don't mind if we have to wait for a server to find us by the pool. We also won't mind if we have to get up and get another drink ourselves. If we want to bring a drink back to the room with us we will grab it from a bar on the walk back to the room. If we want another drink while still in the room, we'll walk down the hall and out to central park and get a drink from the bar there. I'm not worried about being able to get enough to drink! And believe me, I plan on drinking! A lot! I already have a list made of drinks I don't want to miss. Most likely I will just work my way through the drink menus! If I have to get up out of my chair to do that, I will!

In response to the OP's original question, I did find it worth it. I had the premium package. Next time I'm going to go with the ultimate package. There were things I like to drink on a cruise when I have my evening cigar that aren't covered in the premium package. I tend to drink more on a cruise, but I never get drunk! Don't like the aftermath!

OK, I'm curious... Since Ultimate adds nothing alcoholic to the Premium package, just what do you like to drink with your evening cigar? :)

My wife and I are both getting the select package on our next two cruises. We have a beer bag cooler and get unopened beers and put them on ice all the time and take them back to the room. The beer is never cold on every cruise we have been on. Going to the bar each time to drink another warm beer is insane. We have never had an issue with getting them unopened and carry dollar bills for extra tipping if that becomes an issue it will be resolved.

My wife and I are both getting the select package on our next two cruises. We have a beer bag cooler and get unopened beers and put them on ice all the time and take them back to the room. The beer is never cold on every cruise we have been on. Going to the bar each time to drink another warm beer is insane. We have never had an issue with getting them unopened and carry dollar bills for extra tipping if that becomes an issue it will be resolved.

THANK YOU, Mike. That was all I wanted to know - could I get a bucket of beer? No, OK... then could I get unopened beer to put on ice and take back to the room? When I made the OP I didn't think it was such an unreasonable request.

Going to get Premium for my husband who drinks grey goose and cranberry juice and the frozen drinks, and I am bringing 2 bottles of wine and will drink wine or cocktails from the Diamond a lounge which are free. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

When they scan your card with a prem package are they charging the tip? I know someone who just came back from a cruise with a drink package and they claim they were charged gratuity on their bill at the end of the cruise? Anybody know anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When they scan your card with a prem package are they charging the tip? I know someone who just came back from a cruise with a drink package and they claim they were charged gratuity on their bill at the end of the cruise? Anybody know anything about this?

No gratuity is added when using any of the unlmited drink packages.

Tips are explicitly INCLUDED within the price of the drink packages. I tip waiters/bartenders a little extra at the time, but if they tried adding drink tips to my bill as an additional charge, I'd definitely demand & insist that it be removed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The gratuities that they were charged at the end of their cruise were probably tips for their waiters and cabin steward. Nothing to do with the drink package, those are included in the price of the package.

OK, I'm curious... Since Ultimate adds nothing alcoholic to the Premium package, just what do you like to drink with your evening cigar? :)

I would assume that perhaps a nice double espresso would go well with his cigar, which is available through the Ultimate or Royal Replenish packages.

THANK YOU, Mike. That was all I wanted to know - could I get a bucket of beer? No, OK... then could I get unopened beer to put on ice and take back to the room? When I made the OP I didn't think it was such an unreasonable request.

No Denise, it was not an unreasonable request and question, which I had answered a few posts back. I have had the drinks package on both the Carnival Breeze and the Celebrity Summit and on both cruises I had no problems getting an unopened beer. It's reasonable to assume that the same will hold true in April on the Indy.

The only extra charges involved are the sales tax in the embarkation port until the ship hits international waters. So, the first few drinks you have might have a 0.50 charge or so.

The only extra charges involved are the sales tax in the embarkation port until the ship hits international waters. So, the first few drinks you have might have a 0.50 charge or so.

I am not sure I understand why there should be sales tax since the drink does not have a charge.

I'm confused about the sentence that I highlighted with the "confused emoticons" about the * specialty beers and the super premium category beverages. What beers are included and which or not?

Ultimate Package

Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of liquors, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages.†

Includes: Call and premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beers, premium wines by the glass (up to $12 value), premium coffee, premium tea, bottled water (sparkling and still, fresh squeezed orange juice, non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain sodas with the Coca Cola® souvenir cup.

Please note: Orders cannot be modified once they have been purchased. To change an order, you'll need to first cancel the order and then make your purchase(s) again.

† Prices subject to change without notice. Packages include server gratuities, cannot be shared, are not transferable. Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. When ordering a beverage selection onboard, you must present your SeaPass card bearing the package sticker to your server.:confused: Package does not include specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages.:confused: Package is subject to the terms of Royal Caribbean International's Alcohol Policy.