About carrying on soda

Island Crazed

There are four of us going together. Can we have our 4 allowed 12-packs of soda in one rolling carry-on tote? I have this cool travel/shopping rolling tote-bag thing I was given. I think it will hold all four.

AND - does it have to be 12 cans or can it be 12 small bottles?

We've done various combinations of bottles and cans. We've even taken 2 liter bottles with no issues. We've boarded at Canaveral, Miami, Lauderdale, Tampa, & Charleston and no one has ever said a thing, except when I tried to carry a fast food waxed cup through security that one time. They get grumpy.

There are four of us going together. Can we have our 4 allowed 12-packs of soda in one rolling carry-on tote? I have this cool travel/shopping rolling tote-bag thing I was given. I think it will hold all four.

AND - does it have to be 12 cans or can it be 12 small bottles?

This is straight from the FAQS on the Carnival site.

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

I read somewhere if you take pop/soda in a 12 pack do not open it up and then tape it back together... they will have you open and show them that the soda/pop is just that...

We didn't open ours at all and before boarding they opened it and looked at each can same with the 4 pack of red bull. Actually they ripped them open. You need to carry them on not in your bag. And then after they rip the box then you can put them in your bag..lol

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you allowed to pack drinks (water, soda) in our big luggage? we'll be cruising for the 1st time this summer.

I am pretty sure drinks have to be in your carry on luggage, not checked luggage. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

This is straight from the FAQS on the Carnival site.

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you allowed to pack drinks (water, soda) in our big luggage? we'll be cruising for the 1st time this summer.

See the quoted post that's a few above yours.

So can I take the sodas out of the box to put them in my cooler or do I need to leave them in the box?

I imagine they can go in your cooler; but don't forget the cooler size restriction. We carry a fold-up soft-side cooler and just pack it in one of the bags along with the soft drinks.

Edited by dd2355

I am pretty sure drinks have to be in your carry on luggage, not checked luggage. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I think if you put it in your checked luggage, be prepared to do a side trip back to baggage or the naughty room so your suitcase can be opened with you there. They need to see the cans and/or shake your bottles.

So, just carry them with you.

My parents have been on 3 cruises, all Carnival and have put their water in their checked luggage every time. I dont know how they get away with it. I carry mine on.

So can I take the sodas out of the box to put them in my cooler or do I need to leave them in the box?

Either way is fine but do note the size restrictions on coolers.

Sometimes security will inspect as if you're bringing on something potentially fatal and other times it's as if you have nothing at all. Luck of the draw.

My parents have been on 3 cruises, all Carnival and have put their water in their checked luggage every time. I dont know how they get away with it. I carry mine on.

I think one reason Carnival doesn't want people to pack water/soda in checked bags is the chance of leakage due to the rough handling the bags receive. Twice I have encountered fellow travelers that needed to deal with wet clothing in their luggage.

One case was self-inflicted; the other instance was due to someone else's packing of water in checked luggage. These people were just furious about this. After complaining at guest services they ended up getting a free bottle of wine.

Of course they could not be 100% sure of the source of their wet clothing but it seems probable.