Let's talk about Whale Watching!

ebandive

Hi All! We are stopping in Grand Turk in March and while browsing things to do I found that this is actually prime whale-watching season. Who knew!? I found that Crystal Seas does a 4 hour whale watching tour that runs $150 per person, and while that is steep for us, DH and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary on this cruise and I think this would be an awesome surprise!

However, I'm shocked that I'm not finding much on these boards about whale watching from Grand Turk. Anyone have any experience?

So, as an update, I emailed Crystal Seas and got the following information:

You are here in the peak of whale season so we also have whale watching

available. Our whale watching tour is 3.5- 4 hours. We cannot guarantee

whales or the chance to be able to have a in water encounter, but we had

whale sitings last season on 98% of our trips. We were able have "in

water" snorkel encounters on about 40% of our trips. Our cost for whale

watching is $150 per person.

All snorkel gear ( child and adult) and bottled water is included with all

tours/charters. We require a 50% despot to hold all bookings and take both

visa and mastercard. We can take your deposit via phone or email. If your

ship does cancel we will provide a full refund of the deposit minus 8% for

credit card fees.

With stats like that, I am planning on reserving it and hoping for an amazing whale encounter! :) Would love to hear feedback from anyone who has done this already, and if we do in fact go, I'll come back to update how it went. :)

I googled "whale watching Grand Turk" and got this.

Might be worth a call to see if it's more reasonably priced.

There were other "hits" to that search, too.

Thanks! I did see that but didn't bother calling as they list their time departing Grand Turk as 2:30 pm, and that would be too late for our 5:00 pm scheduled departure. Also, their tours are only 2 hours instead of 4. I'm good with the price knowing that it's a reputable company, I can pay through paypal so I know my money is secure if any issues arise, etc. Normally don't spend this much on excursions, but this will be our only one this cruise so I might as well make it count!

Hi All! We are stopping in Grand Turk in March and while browsing things to do I found that this is actually prime whale-watching season. Who knew!? I found that Crystal Seas does a 4 hour whale watching tour that runs $150 per person, and while that is steep for us, DH and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary on this cruise and I think this would be an awesome surprise!

However, I'm shocked that I'm not finding much on these boards about whale watching from Grand Turk. Anyone have any experience?

We are using them in February. If I can find this thread, I will let you know.

Google Crystal Seas and check the reviews by customers via Trip Advisor. They had 50 + reviews, and EVERY review received a 5 out of 5 "excellent" rating. The two guys that own Crystal Seas (Tim and Dan) both were highly thought of by the guests. I have met Tim (Dunn) and he is very knowledgeable and personable. We will be visiting Grand Turk for the second time late March (we will be staying 8 days) and plan on the whaling adventure and visit Salt Cay.

I believe you will be very satisfied with Crystal Seas.

Never thought of whale watching until I checked thus forum. Loved the small charter we did in alaska, may try this.

We are there April 2nd. Obviously can't predict nature but folks familiar is that too late in the season? What time period is usually most active?

Where the companies go see the whales will that area be visible from the cruise ship at any point?

Lastly Bohio resort says you can view from there. Anyone do this before? Or know if they charter closer as well?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Piper934

• 1 month later...

Back from Grand Turk. Went whale watching with Crystal Seas and the whales forgot to show up. ( Not Crystal Seas fault) The boat we were on held 10pp. We had 8. Some of us went snorkeling. FYI...no bathroom on boat. And request that they put ice on the drinks in the cooler.

• 10 months later...

So OP, did you end up going on this whale watching trip? Did you spot any whales? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
So OP, did you end up going on this whale watching trip? Did you spot any whales? :confused:

Yes, we did, and it was amazing!! :D Not only did we spot them, on two different occasions we were able to jump in the water with them!

Info, pictures, and review here!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006531

Edited by ebandive

Yes, we did, and it was amazing!! :D Not only did we spot them, on two different occasions we were able to jump in the water with them!

Info, pictures, and review here!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006531

That was simply amazing! We will be in Grand Turk next February and sure hope to be able to book this same tour. Thank you for posting the pics and video!

That is awesome and thanks so much for sharing your pictures. :)

That was simply amazing! We will be in Grand Turk next February and sure hope to be able to book this same tour. Thank you for posting the pics and video!

Glad you found it helpful! It was fun for me to be reminded and go back and watch the video again - you can hear the guide talking through the whole video giving us a good whale education, and all of our gasps as the whale was SO close - so few things in life truly take our breath away - to hear my gasp on camera as I watch the whale come up to us... I'm rambling, but yes, it was such an amazing experience and I'm so glad we did it!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be there the very first week of April and I know whale season will almost be over.

Has anyone ever spotted them from maybe your balcony on the ship in this area? Hopefully we might catch some from there pulling in or out of port in this area. I think it's probably a little late in the season to spend that kind of money with hopes that we "might" see them when we're there.

• 2 months later...

After reading this post and emailing back and forth we are going to go whale watching with the hope of getting in the water for a soft encounter. Rules are as long as the calf isn't to small and there aren't any signs of aggressiveness well and water conditions we can get in the water with the whales. No harassing the whales but wow what an amazing thing it would be.