Royal won't honor savings certificate and cruise points

Tapi

Hello:

I'm hoping that someone can help me tackle this issue. We are booked on the Enchantment of the Seas sailing the week of the 4th of July. When I started planning this cruise I called Royal and asked if I could apply savings certificates and cruise points to one booking, and the answer was yes. That was further corroborated by other Cruise Critic members. When I finally made the booking, I confirmed one more time with the agent if I'd be able to do both before I put my credit card down and he said yes.

Well, I applied the savings certificate as soon as it became available a few weeks ago. Then, last week I redeemed points (50,000 points for a free cruise) and they applied that to the booking but took the savings certificate out. They said that by applying the savings certificate, it would eat into the taxes (which it won't). Let me explain:

The cruise fare per person is $559, so the total for two is $1,118. The 50,000 points would cover a maximum of $500 per person ($1,000), leaving a balance of $118. The $75 savings certificate would further reduce the balance to $43. This would be in addition to port taxes and gratuities.

The problem is that they are trying to apply the $75 savings certificate all in one column for one passenger, in which case, it would bring the total for one individual to $-16 but the other person would still be paying $59 so I'd still owe Royal owe money after all the discounts were applied. I went in circles and circles with an agent last night who kept giving me different answers that would contradict his previous answers. I finally gave up and asked him to email me the invoices and that I would call in the morning.

For those of you with experience in this matter, am I off in what I'm asking for, or was the agent not helpful or knowledgeable enough. Is there a way to escalate my request? Thanks for any information that you may provide!

In my experience using savings certificates, it always shows on my invoice under 1 passenger for the total amount...it has nnever been split evenly between 2 passengers. In theory I understand what you are doing and saying which makes sense. However, RC accounting shows different. Call C&A department and ask them how this is handled as opposed to a regular agent. Hopefully they can help you out.

Are you talking about the VISA points? If so... the rules on the VISA points are pretty clear that you can not use any other coupons or certificates. I know it is such a hassle. I called C&A the other day and talked to a very good service rep that explained to me what could be combined and not... VISA points for free cruises was one of the things you can not use any C&A coupons.

The Visa points rules changed last August. When redeeming a "Cruise Vacation" (the 50K point redemption), here is the restriction:

CRUISE VACATIONS

Cruise Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Cruise Reward Redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards, Cruise Discount Rewards, other promotional offers and/or other Crown and Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. Cruise Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, RSale, CSale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Cruise Rewards are valid only for oceanview, Boardwalk® view or Central Park® view staterooms. Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”.

EDIT: I believe this is the same paragraph that causes balcony discounts to be denied with Cruise Vacation redemptions.

Edited by clarea

Hi there

Not sure if this helps but my experience has been that yes any discounts applied to one passenger only. Last time my balance was -60 and a few days later it went to $0. When I checked my bank card which I had used to pay for the cruise they had credited me the 60 back on. I understand they do this once the cruise has been fully paid.

That should happen in your case which then would technically leave you with $43 bal, although you have to pay the $59 first & wait for your refund.

Phew! :D

The Visa points rules changed last August. When redeeming a "Cruise Vacation" (the 50K point redemption), here is the restriction:

CRUISE VACATIONS

Cruise Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Cruise Reward Redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards, Cruise Discount Rewards, other promotional offers and/or other Crown and Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. Cruise Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, RSale, CSale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Cruise Rewards are valid only for oceanview, Boardwalk® view or Central Park® view staterooms. Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”.

EDIT: I believe this is the same paragraph that causes balcony discounts to be denied with Cruise Vacation redemptions.

I'm assuming that if the OP changed the points redemption to OBC, then they'd be able to use the savings certificate also

I'm assuming that if the OP changed the points redemption to OBC, then they'd be able to use the savings certificate also

So far, no restriction on combos with OBC. However, they lose $500 worth of redemption with OBC, which is probably why the "double" points redemptions are restricted.

Cruise Reward Redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards, Cruise Discount Rewards, other promotional offers and/or other Crown and Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. .

That I can understand and accept. :) What made the phone call last night so frustrating was that that the agent kept going in circles about the $75 taking the balance to less than $0 instead of mentioning this restriction.

Thanks for that. With or without the savings certificate, I'm still getting $1,000 off with the 50,000 points, so I'm happy about that. Whether my balance is $43 or $118, it's still great for that 4th of July sailing.

Edited by Tapi

That I can understand and accept. :) What made the phone call last night so frustrating was that that the agent kept going in circles about the $75 taking the balance to less than $0.

Thanks for that.

My guess is that the agents don't know the exact reason. I'll bet their computer system is rejecting it, they don't know why, so are coming up with what they think is a plausible explanation.

Well, I finally got off the phone with C&A this morning and everything has been rectified. The $75 savings certificate was applied to a second booking that we had with a companion free discount since they couldn't apply it to the booking with the free cruse. Also, the price on the booking with the free cruise was adjusted to reflect the full $1,000 discount (for some reason, they had only applied $900 and the C&A agent couldn't figure out why the agent that processed the discount didn't do it for the full $1,000).

All in all, I'm happy with C&A's customer service this morning! Thanks to everybody that provided some valuable information on this thread! :)

Well, I finally got off the phone with C&A this morning and everything has been rectified. The $75 savings certificate was applied to a second booking that we had with a companion free discount since they couldn't apply it to the booking with the free cruse. Also, the price on the booking with the free cruise was adjusted to reflect the full $1,000 discount (for some reason, they had only applied $900 and the C&A agent couldn't figure out why the agent that processed the discount didn't do it for the full $1,000).

All in all, I'm happy with C&A's customer service this morning! Thanks to everybody that provided some valuable information on this thread! :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad they worked it out so that you came out better than you expected.:)

CRUISE VACATIONS

Now I am confused....it doesn't take much these days for that!! :eek:

Does this mean you can't combine the C&A balcony discount when applying a visa reward of $500?

Does this mean you can't combine the C&A balcony discount when applying a visa reward of $500?

Depends on the redemption. It looks like certain redemptions (like the free cruise) cannot be combined with C&A benefits. I know that redemptions for OBC can still be combined.

We just did it a few of months ago for our upcoming cruise. Took the balcony discount at booking and then redeemed points for the cash value. We couldn't use them for a free cruise because we are sailing Allure but they allowed us the cash value resulting in a reduced price. That said, the original booking was in July so I don't know if that made a difference or not. We didn't redeem the points until October.

Edited by Big_G

Depends on the redemption. It looks like certain redemptions (like the free cruise) cannot be combined with C&A benefits. I know that redemptions for OBC can still be combined.

It comes down to the total amount of the redemption. You can not use any discounts/free cruise points to eliminate the total cost of the cruise. You must always pay tax's and port fees. This is what the OP encountered. Say your cruise is $800 with $200 in tax/port fees...your total for the cruise would be $1000. You could only get a total discount/free cruise credit of $800 leaving you you pay the $200. I hope that this make since.:D

It comes down to the total amount of the redemption. You can not use any discounts/free cruise points to eliminate the total cost of the cruise. You must always pay tax's and port fees. This is what the OP encountered. Say your cruise is $800 with $200 in tax/port fees...your total for the cruise would be $1000. You could only get a total discount/free cruise credit of $800 leaving you you pay the $200. I hope that this make since.:D

Yes that makes sense!

I am not sure if this will help anybody but thought I would share my telephone conversation last night with RCCL.

I booked my upcoming Freedom cruise during the current WOW sale. I noticed that after my next CC statement that I will have enough points for a free companion fare. ( I have points in pending). I decided to call because I had read so many people talking about being turned down for one reason or another. At the beginning of our conversation she told me that I couldn't. So I asked her if she could tell me why because I had done exactly the same thing for my cruise this past August. (booked during a WOW sale then applied a free cruise reward.) She told me to hold on, came back and said her supervisor told her that he had just sent out an email addressing the visa card points. She asked me to hold on as she read it. She then came back and told me that they would be allowed and not a restricted by the WOW sale. Now that's not saying that when I go to apply this in February I get another story.