Coral Photo Review Sailed on Jan. 8/14

wilfros

Our favorites are the Princess chicken salad, quiche (different one each day), hot soup and sandwiches that they gladly will grill as a Panini :D Also tomato and fresh mozzarella (tip: add the chicken salad to make a sandwich, yum!) No lack of choices. The fresh brewed coffee is there as well. And, desserts, did I forget desserts????? ;)

Our favorites are the Princess chicken salad, quiche (different one each day), hot soup and sandwiches that they gladly will grill as a Panini :D Also tomato and fresh mozzarella (tip: add the chicken salad to make a sandwich, yum!) No lack of choices. The fresh brewed coffee is there as well. And, desserts, did I forget desserts????? ;)

Oh WOW...I may not ever eat at the main dining room!!!

Totally off topic Wilfros, or then again maybe not - how were the mattresses on the Coral? Do you know if they had been replaced with the new "pillow" top mattresses? Just curious.................

I do not believe there are new pillow top mattresses. I have never had a problem with Princess Beds but I am aware others have. Being that there is no problem for me I have never paid much attention to it.

By the end of a day at sea, I could sleep on a brick if needed. Too tired to care.

Another Production show photo ....

ba2.jpg

If anyone is looking for me between March 15 and March 25, I will be at International Cafe on the Coral Princess at 3pm enjoying those hot chocolate chip cookies.

My mouth is now watering! :)

And sometimes they have hot peanut butter cookies. So good.:D:D:D

Thanks so much for the review and pics... especially the pics as I have yet mastered to task of posting them to threads...Lazy me.

Your review is making our waiting both easier and more difficult.:rolleyes::) We'll be on her starting the 21st of Feb. so it won't be long.

Keep em coming!

Thanks so much for the review and pics... especially the pics as I have yet mastered to task of posting them to threads...Lazy me.

Your review is making our waiting both easier and more difficult.:rolleyes::) We'll be on her starting the 21st of Feb. so it won't be long.

Keep em coming!

Thank you so much, however, I am of two minds...

One - it is nice to share and show what you have to look forward to, however

two - there is a certain element of surprise that could possibly be eliminated by posting too much.

You say "keep em coming!" so I do hope I am not spoiling anything.

On the Bayou!

b14.jpg

Well we arrived in Aruba to questionable skies and worries about rain, however it was warm and after departing Canada who cared about a little rain?

The approach to the Cruise Ship terminal was beautiful and by the time we docked we had a great feel for this magnificent island. The smells of the flowers and the moisture in the air all contributed to the feeling that we had finally arrived in the Caribbean.

Aruba9.jpg

For the most part I researched and booked our shore excursions through private web contacts. While we liked some of the Princess Shore Excursion options we are avid Kayakers and we arranged to have a private excursion with our own personal guide. After many hours of research we decided on Aruba Kayak Adventures and we could not have been more happy with our choice.

1.5 hours after scheduled docking we disembarked the ship and walked out of the secure area and had a 5 minute wait before being picked up by the kayak company. We enjoyed a beautiful and well described drive from the pier to the launch point for the kayaks.

Off we went on our adventure in, for flat water kayakers, what was moderate seas. Normally we kayak on rivers and streams so being in "open" water with 4 - 5 foot waves was something interesting and exciting for us. The one redeeming factor was the temperature of the ocean. I mean really, with this warm water, who really cared if you fell in?

Aruba11.jpg

Just to demonstrate what I am talking about... Last time DS, DW, BIL and I kayaked together it was in Tadoussac Quebec on the St. Lawrence River. It was mid September and the outside temperature was 54 (f) and the water temperature was 41 (f). I have included a photo taken during that trip, so you understand why we would be kayaking in conditions like that.

Aruba1.jpg

That is a Beluga Whale and it was the thrill of a life time to have him playing around us, but unnerving at the same time considering we could fall in that cold water.

Anyway, back to Aruba. Given the concerns we had in Tadoussac about falling into the water, the ironic thing was that we encountered a dolphin during our kayak trip out to DePalm Island. I was so excited taking this photo that I fell out of the kayak into the ocean as I turned around to take the photo. But as all Photographers will tell you, it doesn't matter what you go through, It Is All About Getting The Shot!!! And I got it!!!

Aruba12.jpg

DePalm Island was beautiful and fun. All food and drinks are included in the entrance price, and the price was all part of the price quoted by Aruba Kayak Adventures, so there was no need for money transactions by us once we arrived.

Aruba4.jpg

Aruba3.jpg

Due to the play structure that was on the island and all the other offerings, I was expecting quite a crowd but there were very few people. It made for a lovely quiet and entertaining day that I would recommend to anyone wanting to just enjoy the water. I believe, through Princess, you can book a direct tour of DePalm Island and they take you across and back on a motorized boat. We however returned in our kayaks as that was the fundamental reason for our tour.

After returning to Coral Princess, we freshened up and then went across the street from the pier and did some craft shopping in the stands and stores set up there.

We had a wonderful day in Aruba and can't wait to return some day. Everything about this port of call was great.

We also did some snorkeling on this excursion and I will post the photos of this part of the adventure in a separate post. I am just not allowed more photos in this post.

Edited by wilfros

As mention in my Aruba post, we did some snorkeling while at DePalm Island.

I have snorkeled on a number of our cruises and have seen many coral reefs however I have only seen the occasional fish.

Not So at DePalm Island! The fish were everywhere!

Aruba7.jpg

The most common fish was the Blue Parrot Fish, they were everywhere and not the least bit scared of us flopping around humans. It was great to see so many.

Aruba15.jpg

Aruba14.jpg

Aruba13.jpg

Aruba5.jpg

And then there was this red fish

Aruba6.jpg

As mentioned in earlier posts I was taking 3D photos that I view on my 3D TV and this was my first attempt at underwater photos. If I do say so myself, I was thrilled with the results. More than 70 percent of my photos did not turn out but the ones that did are amazing to view in 3D

Anyway, it was a great day in Aruba and we were sad to depart.

What do you use for 3D, 2 cameras? I use a Fuji FinePix 3D but its not waterproof...

As mentioned in earlier posts I was taking 3D photos that I view on my 3D TV and this was my first attempt at underwater photos. If I do say so myself, I was thrilled with the results. More than 70 percent of my photos did not turn out but the ones that did are amazing to view in 3D

Anyway, it was a great day in Aruba and we were sad to depart.

What do you use for 3D, 2 cameras? I use a Fuji FinePix 3D but its not waterproof...

Hi

I purchased two Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS 12 Megapixel Compact Cameras. I then went to a metal works shop and had them cut a piece of metal on which I mount the two cameras side by side.

I have tried many other market place ideas but find that the stereo base is just too small to give good depth to the photos in most general circumstances. When at home I can play with the stereo base but on vacation I want a setup that is as close to "point and shoot" as possible.

This is the most versatile setup I have ever had and it even works when we go kayaking as it is completely waterproof to 30 feet deep.

If you have any other questions please let me know, I would be happy to share information on whatever you would like to know. Or if you wish to share your knowledge I would love to learn.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by wilfros

Absolutely breathtaking underwater pictures!!! This has fast become one of the most enjoyable reviews I have read on CC!! Thank you.

Debbie

Agreed!

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

Thank you both for the kind words

Here are six more photos but I was unsuccessful developing them into 3D. I am disappointed as there are some nice shots

Enjoy

fish6.jpg

fish4.jpg

fish5.jpg

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

I am loving the review and photos too!

Can you email me a couple of the colorful fish in 3D? I would love to see them that way.

A few questions.

The Nojito, is that the non alcohol verson of the mojito? If so I am assuming it's pretty tasty?

DePalm Island...what type of food and drink did they offer?

How fun to have the Dolphin swim by you! And the whale on your other trip, awesome!

Love the review and the photos are stunning!

I sail on Feb 10th and cant wait. The ship is more to my taste in size and layout so I am really excited.

I do have a question you may be able to answer. I am a gym rat and will be using the gym each morning to do damage control......I love my food:p

The thermal suite was added a while back and I realize that is part of the spa which you pay to use. But in her original configuration there were separate steam and dry saunas for men and women (not coed). Is there still a men's steam room and is it no charge or part of the spa complex you pay to use? I have asked this question on CC before and got very different responses from Coed to separate to steam but no dry sauna to none, to fee to use. Thanks for any info you can provide.....

PS...Princess should hire you for photo spreads.

Tom

I am loving the review and photos too!

Can you email me a couple of the colorful fish in 3D? I would love to see them that way.

A few questions.

The Nojito, is that the non alcohol verson of the mojito? If so I am assuming it's pretty tasty? Very Tasty and on occasion we took them back to the room and added rum to get the MOJito they were great

DePalm Island...what type of food and drink did they offer? They have grill food and simple bar drinks. there is a buffet restaurant at the other end of the island but we never used it.

How fun to have the Dolphin swim by you! And the whale on your other trip, awesome!

Both were very exciting

With reference to the 3D I need to know how you intend to view them? if you are using the red/blue glasses then I would send one kind of file but if you are going to view it on a 3D TV then I would send another. All you need do is answer that question and then tell me what photo(s) you want and I will send you the file(s). That simple. Just wait till I post the Panama Canal Photos they are stunning in 3D

Love the review and the photos are stunning!

I sail on Feb 10th and cant wait. The ship is more to my taste in size and layout so I am really excited.

I do have a question you may be able to answer. I am a gym rat and will be using the gym each morning to do damage control......I love my food:p

The thermal suite was added a while back and I realize that is part of the spa which you pay to use. But in her original configuration there were separate steam and dry saunas for men and women (not coed). Is there still a men's steam room and is it no charge or part of the spa complex you pay to use? I have asked this question on CC before and got very different responses from Coed to separate to steam but no dry sauna to none, to fee to use. Thanks for any info you can provide.....

PS...Princess should hire you for photo spreads.

Tom

Tom I am so sorry to tell you I just walked through the spa area so have no answers for you but the gym itself is located at the aft end of the ship and has a beautiful view of the wake of the ship as you exercise!

Sorry I can't be more help

BTW: I am still waiting for a call from Princess :D Thanks for the comment.

ab8.jpg

Of our whole itinerary this was the port that caused me the most worry. With all that I had heard of Columbia and it being a country that, I felt, was not in keeping with the laws and enforcement we are fortunate to have, I was concerned to say the least.

This ended up being one of the best ports of call we have ever had. Absolutely everything was a surprise and special. Normally I arrive at a port with high expectations and knowing exactly what we are doing but none of that existed for Categena.

We did have a private excursion booked for this port however, the logistics and security around the ship was so tight that we could not meet up with the tour operator. So our kayak trip out to a fishing island never came to be. We were really quite disappointed but the security agents were not going to allow us to just wander off into Cartegena without a guide, I guess this was for our safety.

Anyway, we ended up hiring a driver at the pier for a tour of the city. There was nothing we could have done here that would have been better than this. It was fantastic.

I am going to post Cartegena in 3 different posts, to try and do it justice. First (this one) is about our arrival into and departure from the port, the second will be about the walled old city, and the third will be about the little park just outside the pier where they have birds of the area on view and available for photos.

CartaginaA1.jpg

So, as for the arrival and departure. This was one of the most beautiful ports we have ever seen for sail into and away. IMHO the only port that can rival this would be our departure out of NYC. Actually, Honolulu might have been close, but that doesn't diminish Cartegena in any way.

CartaginaA2.jpg

From the top decks you can only see the new high rise city with all it's white buildings. There seemed to be construction everywhere and the buildings were truly something to see from the upper decks. Everywhere you looked there were photogenic sites and I could not take enough photos of this area. It is one of those experiences that is hard to put into words, you have to be there to understand.

CartaginaA3.jpg

CartaginaA4.jpg

CartaginaA5.jpg

I will remember this port arrival and departure for a long time.

Next post will be about the old city, within the old walls.

CartaginaA6.jpg